Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is leakage inevitable???

hammer0419 said:
I just received my 600 and put it together. Shaft does not seem horrible... Yet. Arm cuff is total garbage. Just praying she doesn't leak this weekend. Like I said in a previous post. If they charged $100 more per machine. They could have doubled/tripled the physical quality and no one would blink an eye. It's really a shame how they perceive QC.

What do you think about the coil ears? Still haven't taken mine out of the box. I opened up the box, saw the coil cable, and closed the box back up real quick like.

Ears are the thinnest I have ever seen on any coil. However, the shaft fits very well with the teardrop grommets. Normal beach and field use it should be ok. I could see problems in the woods knocking into things and such. I look at my little Garrett Ace and kind of laugh and shake my head at the same time. Obviously it does not have the technology. But it's built MUCH better than my 600. It's 14 years!! If I got 4 out of this I would be happy. I have Whites that is 39 years old.

Daddy said:
hammer0419 said:
I just received my 600 and put it together. Shaft does not seem horrible... Yet. Arm cuff is total garbage. Just praying she doesn't leak this weekend. Like I said in a previous post. If they charged $100 more per machine. They could have doubled/tripled the physical quality and no one would blink an eye. It's really a shame how they perceive QC.

What do you think about the coil ears? Still haven't taken mine out of the box. I opened up the box, saw the coil cable, and closed the box back up real quick like.
I've owned mine almost two years and never once thought about the coil ears or cable just don't use it as a crutch as for the cable keep sharp items away from it!
Mark

"I've owned mine almost two years and never once thought about the coil ears or cable just don't use it as a crutch as for the cable keep sharp items away from it" said the two legged man with freshly trimmed toenails.

Daddy said:
"I've owned mine almost two years and never once thought about the coil ears or cable just don't use it as a crutch as for the cable keep sharp items away from it" said the two legged man with freshly trimmed toenails.
lol send it back leaves more finds for US:poke:

Mkus said:
Daddy said:
lol send it back leaves more finds for US:poke:
I'm keeping it. Just going to make sure I've always got a backup handy. :)

Hammer, best of luck to you with the Nox as you hear to the NO shore. We will be waiting for some pic's of some nice finds. Go get em'.

Ok this has gone far enough. Minelab I’m sure is watching the two Equinox boards. And it’s time they inform us on this issue. I’m sure they did extensive research before they released the Equinox so they néed to inform us of what is actually failing like a lot of defective seals/ O ring or a burr in the=seal area. I’m sure they know by now what is causing the problem. If it’s just a bad o ring just send us all a new one. Because Minelab is not addressing this problem they are not being honest with us. We all purchases the Equinox for water used and Minelab is letting us down. They need to inform all of us NOW. I’m loosing faith in Minelab.

Doug

Donut said:
Ok this has gone far enough. Minelab I’m sure is watching the two Equinox boards. And it’s time they inform us on this issue. I’m sure they did extensive research before they released the Equinox so they néed to inform us of what is actually failing like a lot of defective seals/ O ring or a burr in the=seal area. I’m sure they know by now what is causing the problem. If it’s just a bad o ring just send us all a new one. Because Minelab is not addressing this problem they are not being honest with us. We all purchases the Equinox for water used and Minelab is letting us down. They need to inform all of us NOW. I’m loosing faith in Minelab.

Doug
I'm with you, Doug. This has been going on too long for Minelab not to address the issue.

gwsears said:
To me it seems to be a three year detector, then throw away if problem after that as there is no way to get at the internals to repair...it being sealed shut.. kinda.
Kind of like a Yugo?
$899 for a three year non repairable detector then throw it away?

Frowning here.
I
g
. I spoke to Minelab about buying a spare handle and control display. I was told they were only available as a warranty repair item and would not be sold to the public because " Minelab views the direct sale of this item to the public as undercutting our dealer network". You can interpret that however you choose as it relates to an out of warranty detector.

I just received my second Equinox Friday. The reason I purchased a second Equinox is because I sold my Excalibur, CTX and Fisher F75 a few months ago after receiving my Equinox and hunting with it during December and January.
I couldn't see any real advantage that any of the other machines had over the Equinox. Yes each of the other machines had something going for it that was hard to let go of. But overall i think I made the right decision.
I don't like the construction of the Equinox but the performance and features are overall as good or better than the other machines.
I just gave my new Equinox a 2 hour bath. The bath doesn't replicate hunting conditions but it's a start.
I am happy to say my new Equinox came out of the bath still singing her pretty tunes.

Jay hop, I’ll have to bathe mine soon. Did you use waterproof headphones for the test? Also how long is a good test time?

Thanks,

Tony NJ

To be honest I forgot to connect the waterproof headphones. I just left the cap on the connection point. I will have to do it again with the headphones. That's why they should release some information on where the leak is occurring.
I don't know what a good test time should be, I soaked mine for 2 hours and 10 minutes. Like I said, the bath really doesn't replicate water hunting. It's just a good start in my opinion. Water hunting, swinging the detector and putting pressure on different points while hunting will really tell the story. But if it leaks in the bath you have saved a lot of time by finding it out before you leave home.
Thanks for reminding me about the headphones.

Just hunt with it guys.......whats the panic? you have more peace of mind with this detector than all most any other on the market with that 3 year warranty.... and its at least half the price. Not a lot of the dirt hunter with the same issues us water hunters have. It is unique in so many ways just like Steve said. One of them is .....a throw away box. Not a lot of water machines can brag there havent been a repair in 3 years.... and after the warranty whats it cost you if you need a new board? You get it back and ..... you have a new board.... but the box sure isnt new..... and i assume you have new batteries as well.....new machine in fact. Some may never have an issue..... ever.... especially the dirt guys. Anyone bought a CTX out of date and needed a new coil or repairs....... ouch?

dewcon4414 said:
Just hunt with it guys.......whats the panic? you have more peace of mind with this detector than all most any other on the market with that 3 year warranty.... and its at least half the price. Not a lot of the dirt hunter with the same issues us water hunters have. It is unique in so many ways just like Steve said. One of them is .....a throw away box. Not a lot of water machines can brag there havent been a repair in 3 years.... and after the warranty whats it cost you if you need a new board? You get it back and ..... you have a new board.... but the box sure isnt new..... and i assume you have new batteries as well.....new machine in fact. Some may never have an issue..... ever.... especially the dirt guys. Anyone bought a CTX out of date and needed a new coil or repairs....... ouch?
GOOD POINT!!

Jayhop, your welcomed. I will do mine after a club hunt next weekend and see what happens.

Tony NJ

sgoss66 said:
Just my two cents...

I agree with laplander's post, and I think what jayhop said above is very true.

These are excellent machines, but, I think it is fair to say that Minelab did perhaps "cut a few corners" with the unit, in a few areas. They ABSOLUTELY DID NOT cut any corners, performance-wise; that -- to me -- is the MOST important thing. BUT, I think that after so many folks yelled loudly at/to Minelab, for so many years, to produce a high-performing machine that was AFFORDABLE, they finally listened...and I think they should be commended for that. However, I think it stands to reason that to pack the top-notch performance that Minelab is known for, into an "affordable" package, there will inevitably be parts of the machine that won't be quite as high-quality as we might be used to from Minelab. But, I think that's to be expected. After all, when folks purchase a $649 EQX 600, or $899 EQX 800, and find that they are getting performance that meets or even exceeds that of the $2499 CTX 3030, I don't think it is reasonable to expect the same degree of build quality, in some of the machine's components. The CTX is built like a tank, but that's part of the reason that its MSRP is $2499, not $649...

BUT, I would also say that to Minelab's credit, the release of the Equinox ALSO coincided with a complete revamping of their customer service/repair process. And I think that is HUGE. After interacting with Minelab since the EQX release, and after hearing of other folks who have had EQX issues, I have 100% peace-of-mind that if anything goes wrong with one of my Equinoxes, Minelab will take care of it quickly, and efficiently. I am on the forums every day, and I deal with a lot of Equinox users on a daily basis, as well. And I have not heard of ONE SINGLE PERSON that has had a problem with an Equinox, that has not had a GREAT experience with Minelab's customer service department/repair shop. Every case I have heard of, has been resolved very efficiently, and very quickly. YES, it is wise to have a backup machine, but in every case, Minelab has resolved any EQX issue within a week or so, for everyone that I've heard from. Mkus, in a post just above mine, is an example of just what I'm talking about.

My advice is, enjoy your Equinox; dunk it in your bathtub, if you need to, for a half hour, and make sure it doesn't leak. If it doesn't, you are probably good to go, from then on. If by chance it DOES, Minelab will have a new one in you hands in a week. To me, you can't beat that...top-end performance, and top-end customer service.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Very well said. Thank you.

As much as we wish it were not true any new product will experience some failures. As long as humans do the assembly there will be mistakes made and we the consumer will find that mistake after we have purchased the product.

I worked in the retail trade for about 14 years and had many instances where a customer came back in my store with a product that had failed. We did everything we could to keep the customer happy.

With the number of new Nox machines that have hit the market there will be failures. I don't think that the number of failures are excessive looking at the number of units that have been sold and I also see that Minelab is doing everything possible to take care of the customer.