Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is this a Coral Fossil

captnkirk

Found this in my gravel pile I got from a local Limestone Quarry. Only thing I could compare with makes it look like a piece of Coral. Came from SE Corner of Chautauqua County Kansas. Specimen is about the size of a half dollar.

Coral.jpg

When lava cools and hardens it has that same look. Specific to your question tho I cant say……

For comparison here is an Amygdaloidal Igneous Basalt - From old Lava Flows and the bubble holes were filled with Minerals.
What you have is a much lighter color that appears to be limestone especially if found in a limestone Quarry.
Are the round items syphers or elongated stems like tiny pencils?
1658862695079.png

The Limestone item was extracted from a layer of rock ~ 50 feet deep. Definitely not a Lava extrusion and the center element(s) of the round holes are protruding above the surface of the stone. Since this area of the country was once a part of the ocean, I thought it might be a fossilized piece of Coral.

Here is fossilized Coral for comparison want down by wave action - Petoskey Stones

Attachments

• 1658869090151.png
    1658869090151.png
    4 MB · Views: 144
As other write your sample is not a lava but some kind of sedimentary rock, the coral body in section looks like the wheel of an old carriage, so in your sample looks to me something more like worms..
consider that limestone was a mud in the bottom of the sea or a lake and that mud sure will have some form of animals living in.

p.s. I'm a geologist