Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Its sucks getting old....................................................

mtdoramike

I recently purchased a Fisher F19 to finally get out after several months recovering from open heart surgery. I thought, I will need a much lighter detector to swing for a while than my old machine the Fisher C$, which is my favorite detector. Well, got the F19, put it together, reviewed the manual, did some open air testing with a few coins as well as trash and was satisfied with the results. So I set off on the hunt at a local park all the while my wife was nagging me that it was too soon to be doing that.

I got to the park, started swinging, hit a few good targets and after digging 4 targets and dragging myself up off my hands and knees, I realized with the pain in my chest from the surgery that my wife was right. Now to add heart ache to misery, I'm about worthless when it comes to getting up and down from my knees, so detecting is out and now my wife got the pleasure of saying I told you so. I don't know which part blows the worst, the worthless feeling or the I told you so smug attitude.

Mike, don't give up just yet. Look on Graigslist for an exercise bike and with your doctor's OK, start using it. Start slow and be faithful. An old fart can build up their leg and cardio strength. I bought a bike for 40 bucks and my friend bought a more expensive one for 100 bucks. My friend was almost crippled. Leg braces and atrophied muscles, but now able to squat and get up. Good luck.

Another good avenue for exercise is your local gym. For a few bucks a month you would have access to various cardo and muscle building machines along with weights. I joined one when I turned 60 almost 20 years ago now and that has kept me in the detecting game 5-7 days a week to this point in time. M-F my wife and I go to a gym for an hour each morning. HH jim tn

Hang in there. Heart attack at 42. Fast forward 20 years. Got too fat to bend over. Digging while on my knees & yes too hard to get back up. Joined weight watchers back in June. Lost 52 lbs since then. Now I’m back digging just by bending over. At one point in time I thought it was time to give it up. Take it slow & build your heart muscles back up & you will be back at it.

Its been about 4 month since you made this post Mr. Mike. How are you doing now?

I recently purchased a Fisher F19 to finally get out after several months recovering from open heart surgery. I thought, I will need a much lighter detector to swing for a while than my old machine the Fisher C$, which is my favorite detector. Well, got the F19, put it together, reviewed the manual, did some open air testing with a few coins as well as trash and was satisfied with the results. So I set off on the hunt at a local park all the while my wife was nagging me that it was too soon to be doing that.

I got to the park, started swinging, hit a few good targets and after digging 4 targets and dragging myself up off my hands and knees, I realized with the pain in my chest from the surgery that my wife was right. Now to add heart ache to misery, I'm about worthless when it comes to getting up and down from my knees, so detecting is out and now my wife got the pleasure of saying I told you so. I don't know which part blows the worst, the worthless feeling or the I told you so smug attitude.
Hang in there. I understand completely.my self have neuropathy and have zero feeling in my feet, we older guys just got to take it slower , wish ya the very best. HHHank

Yep, been there @ 79 have had 3 spinal fusions,one neck fusion with Titanium in back and neck,plus a complete right shoulder replacement,and a gastric by-pass. :( Getting old sure hurts,cjm

More like "It sucks having bad Health"

I ruptured tendons in my left foot last fall and had to have surgery. On crutches for two weeks and six weeks in a walking boot and then a few weeks of therapy But that down time did not do me any good at all. I have struggled this year to do much detecting. Talked with my Md and he approved vitamin B-12 shots. They seem to help. I am pushing as hard as i can. Did 10 hours of detecting this past week. Yes getting old sux and i can see 80 hiding just around the corner.

I ruptured tendons in my left foot last fall and had to have surgery. On crutches for two weeks and six weeks in a walking boot and then a few weeks of therapy But that down time did not do me any good at all. I have struggled this year to do much detecting. Talked with my Md and he approved vitamin B-12 shots. They seem to help. I am pushing as hard as i can. Did 10 hours of detecting this past week. Yes getting old sux and i can see 80 hiding just around the corner.
A hobby we detest to have to quit but all good things do end sooner or later I had to quit detecting in 2007 & had to sell my nice home after 40 years & move into a Duplex which I had to sell & now live in an APT in a town where my two daughters live so they can help me because of ILLNESSES of COPD, Osteo-Arthritis, Parkinson's & others! I am 85 now; so yes, sooner or later we must give up what we enjoyed & move on! I live my LIFE for Jesus now as my Lord & Savior, Who helps me to endure & overcome each day that He gives me on this earth! God Bless you to find a hobby that is far easier to do! Ma

Im not sure if one can claim “having bad health” as a valid statement here. There have been longtime runners who drop dead of a heart attack in their 40s, those who claim a shot of whiskey and a cigar a day is why they’re in their 90s. Its partial family genes, environmental influences where you live and what you do in life everyday. Im healthy but suffer from lower back and hip problems mostly caused by 30 years of weight on my hips. I forget what they call it but postal delivery, carpenters, and any one else with heavy belts have the same thing. Up and down recovering items is slow and Im sore at night but right back at it in the next day or two. Stop doing it and you’re done. I just saw a teeshirt said they had done a weeks worth of cardio by simply walking into a cobweb!!!! Pretty much gospel there!!!

When i was 13 or 14 i had rheumatic fever two summers in a row. Rheumatic Fever is a Strep infection that can cause severe damage to the heart valves. Second episode the Family MD told me and my mother that in his professional opinion i would have severely damaged heart valves and would not live to be more than 35 years old. I will be 80 in Jan and i am still here. So i guess doc failed to consult with higher authority. I will fight old age as long as possible. I will do as long as i am physically able.

Im not sure if one can claim “having bad health” as a valid statement here. There have been longtime runners who drop dead of a heart attack in their 40s, those who claim a shot of whiskey and a cigar a day is why they’re in their 90s. Its partial family genes, environmental influences where you live and what you do in life everyday. Im healthy but suffer from lower back and hip problems mostly caused by 30 years of weight on my hips. I forget what they call it but postal delivery, carpenters, and any one else with heavy belts have the same thing. Up and down recovering items is slow and Im sore at night but right back at it in the next day or two. Stop doing it and you’re done. I just saw a teeshirt said they had done a weeks worth of cardio by simply walking into a cobweb!!!! Pretty much gospel there!!!
It is age & health conditions that causes one not to be able to do what they once did--I tried as long as I could but my legs & knees gave out--felt like I was kneeling on broken glass & could not get up without help by someone helping me up--not likely out metal detecting; so my hobby of finding hidden treasure went by the wayside! I ended up with a Compression Fracture in my back which hurts most of the time so I sit & use my Computer a lot, for any steady pain is miserable!

To all who can continue working or digging holes well into 90's are blessed by having a good life not worked to death like my dad & mom did--Never Lazy & good laborers & they who have parents & ancestors with good Genes & DNA are truly blessed of God whose love & strength keeps them healthy & strong both physically & spiritually! Many who do farm work or labor in factories from a young age & on-Mostly do DIE YOUNGER becase body is worn out & by poor health! My brother & I like many farm children worked like adults even when very young! God BLESS & go get the GOLD & Silver as long as you can! Ma