Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just Curious, How Many Now Own The New Apex? Are You Planning On Purchasing One?

John-Edmonton

Staff member
Remember the Garrett Girls?

f.jpg

Just got one, found silver 1st time out 42 merc. Only one complaint I'm extremely right handed and the headphones unpaired occasionally with volume on my right side.

I have one with the Z Link Wireless headphones and both the detector and headphones are working terrific. Since I keep the on-off button for the headphones the right side where my detector is I have not had any problems at all with unpairing.

The Apex is performing better than I thought it would in some of the trashier places I've taken it because I didn't think that Viper coil would work as well as it does. Matter of fact, that coil works great to Grab & Go to hunt open areas, places with modest trash, and use on fringe areas of ghost towns or for scouting purposes.

What I am really hoping for, and soon, is a good smaller size coil for the Apex. Something in the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inch diameter would be great, and I would prefer around configuration.

And since I don't like changing search coils all the time and usually use a smaller coil most often, but appreciate how the Viper coil works as a mid – big coil, I have already ordered a second Apex that should arrive this coming Tuesday.

Monte

The fact that it scratches a 10” dime on relics1864 video in 4 bar dirt.... that shows a lot of potential for the apex IMO. Watching his other tests on that target, it seems to be performing as good or better than the F75 and close to if not better than his multi kruzer test. Impressive. His nail board video also shows more promise than others. I’m finding that I like the audio a lot. That’s one reason I never bought a Garrett yet was the audio. Does the apex have any vco tone?

Does the apex have any vco tone?
No, it uses a processed audio tone.

As for general performance, I am not one of those who cries out 'Depth-Depth-Depth' all the time, simply because I know better. I find the Apex with the only coil for it right now provides very 'functional' depth-of-detection for most folks and for most everyday needs in typical hunting environments. If I encounter a situation where I am searching for something that might be deeper, and if it is a smaller-size target, I have one or two other models with slightly larger search coils I can grab. But for most places I have hunted for several decades, most desirable targets are relatively shallow, and in the surface to 6" depth range the Apex is working very well.

Actually the Viper coil, which I label as being a mid-big sized coil at 6X11 DD, is handling typical conditions quite well and I'm hoping for a smaller-size coil to complement it. Many of the sites I search have a lot of trash and a smeller-size coil is needed. I will keep the Viper coil mounted on my current Apex for hunting fringe areas of very littered old sites and covering the more open areas I visit. I ordered a 2nd Apex that should be here Tuesday and it will be ready to mount a smaller-size coil to tackle the more confined places where bigger coils to fit, and to better handle the dense debris conditions at many of the old-use site I hunt.

Apex is a really nice model from Garrett. :thumbup:

Monte

No, it uses a processed audio tone.

As for general performance, I am not one of those who cries out 'Depth-Depth-Depth' all the time, simply because I know better. I find the Apex with the only coil for it right now provides very 'functional' depth-of-detection for most folks and for most everyday needs in typical hunting environments. If I encounter a situation where I am searching for something that might be deeper, and if it is a smaller-size target, I have one or two other models with slightly larger search coils I can grab. But for most places I have hunted for several decades, most desirable targets are relatively shallow, and in the surface to 6" depth range the Apex is working very well.

Actually the Viper coil, which I label as being a mid-big sized coil at 6X11 DD, is handling typical conditions quite well and I'm hoping for a smaller-size coil to complement it. Many of the sites I search have a lot of trash and a smeller-size coil is needed. I will keep the Viper coil mounted on my current Apex for hunting fringe areas of very littered old sites and covering the more open areas I visit. I ordered a 2nd Apex that should be here Tuesday and it will be ready to mount a smaller-size coil to tackle the more confined places where bigger coils to fit, and to better handle the dense debris conditions at many of the old-use site I hunt.

Apex is a really nice model from Garrett. :thumbup:

Monte
85% of my detecting time is spent with an 11x7 or smaller coil on any of my machines when hunting old yards, curbs, and demolished home sites. I’m just like everyone else and make key finds from surface to 6” MOST of the time. But there are a lot of wooded battle site areas that require a big coil. If you don’t have a 11-13” coil in these places you go home empty handed. Vco tone is key for hunting this way as it’s like a form of discrimination for me. A fired .58 round into a sand hill is deep once it hit, add 155 years and that dude is deep. I can only imagine what I can’t hear.
I have recovered over 120 bullets at a measured depth of over 10” max being right at the edge of 14”. I’m not bragging, I’m not alone in doing it, someone had to show me how.
I learn more every time I fire up a machine. No depth is not a huge deal except when you learn what’s actually down that deep.
Back in Iowa, I never recovered anything but cans and big iron at those depths. It’s everyday here along the gulf coast. I saw a simplex bring up a confederate flat button at a whopping 11 inches. So I’m looking at the Apex as a possible contender for this scenario. With MF and a bigger coil it might be able to show me more finds. I have no mineral in my dirt here, just white/gray sand, so if 4 bar dirt don’t stop it to 10” then it should be a real bullet digger. If it gets a 5” coil, then bonus for homesites. Needs a larger round coil to really show what it can do also. Hell, I wish I didn’t have to dig so deep to get them. Sometimes I spend over 5 minutes getting one out because of the roots. Have to saw my way down.
part of me thinks I would like the apex for getting mid depth silver and older coppers. I like the tightness of the tones and the pitch of each is good IMO. The low tone may be a little close to iron tone but the upper tones sound real nice to me. I will probably get one when I see the coil options that become available.

I’m thinking about getting one as an all purpose machine for here in Iowa. It seems like the Apex hits the coins deep, at least deep enough for Iowa soil as well as it separates in the iron. Since I’ll mostly be at homesites houses older buildings and parks the apex looks like it will do it all

Remember the Garrett Girls?

View attachment 7144
I purchased one with the wireless headphones and wireless carrot . Really nice setup . You can hear everything thru the wireless headphones and no crosstalking with each other . Unfortunately I believe my Garrett apex is not working properly as it beeps all over the place . Tried adjusting sensitivity, frequency etc and nothing helps . I’ll be sending it in shortly for a check up . All in all thou , I like the whole package

"Coinboy007": I’m thinking about getting one as an all purpose machine for here in Iowa. It seems like the Apex hits the coins deep, at least deep enough for Iowa soil as well as it separates in the iron. Since I’ll mostly be at homesites houses older buildings and parks the apex looks like it will do it all.
First, to be clear, I own nine different detector models with some being assigned 'special-use' duty, such as a couple I prefer for Relic Hunting the especially dense iron contaminated sites. I have one that I specifically grab when I want to do a day of hit-and-run hunting of tot-lots. I have one that is waterproof, even though I don't swim or wade out much or hunt sandy beaches that don't cooperate with my cane, but I do have it incase it might rain or if I might accidently drop it, or me, in the water. All of these models, and some I have specifically for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, can be somewhat multi-purpose detectors and all of them have a specific search coil mounted because the detector & coil make a good combination to grab-and-hunt.

Of those nine models I have duplicates of the Simplex +. Why? Because I like what they can do, for the money they are versatile, and I keep the round 11" DD mounted on one in case I want to hunt a beach or wide-open area. The other is the regular-use et-up with the mid-size 5X9½ DD coil mounted.

As for my Garrett Apex, I have one that is working for me with the standard 'Viper' 6X11 mid-big DD coil, but I like this detector so well, that my 2nd Apex is due to be delivered on Tuesday, just two days away. Why 2 Apex devices? Because I trust that the folks at Garrett will bring us a smaller-size coil in the near future, and that will stay mounted on the 2nd Apex. Both of them will be ready-to-go based on the location I am going to hunt and the amount of trash and dense brush that confronts me, or if it is a sparse-target, wide-open area.

With a good-working smaller-size coil, the Apex is definitely going to work out as a very good 'general-purpose' detector for a lot of us.

Monte

My second Apex arrive Monday morning. I ordered my first Apex with the MS 3 wireless headphones, and this one was the Apex alone but I already had another new set of their wireless headphones all charged up and ready to go, so I paired them up and was ready to compare.

I'm usually curious as to how any new product works when it comes to consistency, so I put Apex number one against Apex number 2, both using the Z-Lynk wireless headphones, on a set of test targets and buried coins. I was pleased to find them matching up quite well. That was a good sign.

Why two Apex models? Simply because I find the standard Viper coil to work well as an open area coil, and my new unit is at the ready for a smaller coil as soon as Garrett gets one made for the Apex. That will give me the setup to grab when I get to a trashier environment or one with cramped space due to brush or building rubble. Besides, right from the start I found the Apex a 'fun' detector to use so I guess you could say I just 'doubled my fun'.

The more I use the Apex, the more satisfied I am with this model and I can also imagine what they may do in the future to enhance an Apex 'series' and build from this base unit.

Monte

I've been thinking about getting one but have decided th hold off. I'm waiting to see the new Nokta/Makro SMF. I'm thinking this could be a great machine with a wide variety of concentric and DD coils. Also, I'm thinking Minelab may soon be offering a new light weight FBS machine. Loved the CTX but just too heavy.