Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just got my my new E-Trac and have a question about the iron see through claims......

Hey guys, I am now a new owner of the E-Trac. Pretty impressive machine I must say but am having a bit of a problem duplicating the videos showing it picking up coins through the iron. I have nailed hardwood floors in my house and very few detectors can pick a coin out when I put one down on them. I tried the coin trick when the E-Trac arrived and it would not pick the coin out no matter what way I swung or how far away. When I grabbed my CZ-5 and Tejon, they both picked up the same coin in the same spot with relative ease. My question is this: Are there certain settings that must be used that maximize this see-through capability? I was just using the machine with factory settings. I know that everyone seems to be seeing this in action but I can't seem to duplicate it. Any help and or settings would be much appreciated!

megadivers said:
Hey guys, I am now a new owner of the E-Trac. Pretty impressive machine I must say but am having a bit of a problem duplicating the videos showing it picking up coins through the iron. I have nailed hardwood floors in my house and very few detectors can pick a coin out when I put one down on them. I tried the coin trick when the E-Trac arrived and it would not pick the coin out no matter what way I swung or how far away. When I grabbed my CZ-5 and Tejon, they both picked up the same coin in the same spot with relative ease. My question is this: Are there certain settings that must be used that maximize this see-through capability? I was just using the machine with factory settings. I know that everyone seems to be seeing this in action but I can't seem to duplicate it. Any help and or settings would be much appreciated!

Please can you give me a link to the videos which you are referring to, Thankyou.

Here is one:

http://www.mlotv.com/view/394/circle-of-trash/

:minelab::usaflag::detecting:

megadivers said:
Here is one:

http://www.mlotv.com/view/394/circle-of-trash/

:minelab::usaflag::detecting:

Thanks for that :thumbup:

Rigit made that video, I believe he is a member on here, hopefully he will see this post and give you and us the settings.

Hi there,firstly just a quick word on the the statement 'see through capability'.No detector can see a good target if it is completely covered by a piece of iron.Try putting a piece of iron or steel over the top of a coin and still pick up the coin...u won't.People who say they have found coins under bottle caps etc have found them because most detectors will recognise a round rusty bottle cap as a good target especially if it is quite deep.....when they dig the target there may be a coin under the cap making it look as though the detector has 'seen through' the cap.....basically just pure luck.If the coin is by the cap and not directly under it certain detectors with fast recovery speeds can pick up the good target next to the iron.This is what u are seeing when u say that u can't pick up a coin when u place it on your floor...the e-trac has not got a fast enough recovery speed to seperate the good target from the iron nails.....the tejon and cz-5 are well known to be 'fast' in the trash and this is why they can pick up the coin.The e-track has got a fast recovery setting which may make it faster in amongst the iron but the faster setting can make target recognition slightly less accurate and even make some small deep targets break up.I hope this has not put u off the e-track....if it's as good as the explorer it will be a cracking machine.But if searching in heavily trash infested areas is your thing there are better detectors on the market......the tejon being one of the best.

Nei - Good post, thanks. I have a question - I essentially know what the term recovery means by the context that many use it in, but I'd like to understand it on a deeper level - as in can you specifically describe what happens when a detector "recovers" and what makes a machine faster or slower in recovery - thanks.

Hi Erik,basically when your coil goes over a target a signal is sent to the control box on your detector.If u have a detector with a screen the signal needs to be analysed and converted into a read out on the display.then the detector has to 'reset' itself in order to be able to pick up the next signal.The recovery speed is basically the time it takes for a certain detector to complete the operation of receiving the signal analysing it and resetting itself to be able to recieve the next signal.Some detectors are a lot faster than others at performing this operation with minelabs generally recognised as being marginally slower than some other models.There is nothing u can do other than set the machine to the fast setting which may help in the trash.The fastest machine available is the xp goldmax power which is lightning fast but it has no lcd screen....it relys on tone recognition....the lack of a screen means it needs less time to receive,analyse and reset for the next signal.Hope this helps.

Nauti Neil is right. 90% of my hunting through the years as been iron infested ghost towns and logging camps and I have yet to find a detector that will see through iron. Actually it's not just iron. No detector I've ever seen will see through one target and hit another. I have dug good targets with nails in the same hole but I don't know how the targets were situated in relation to each other in the ground. Here is a quick simple test. Take a 3-4 inch prescription pill bottle and tape a rusty nail at one end and a dime on the other end. Set your detector to just disc. out the nail. Wave the bottle with the nail facing up in front of your coil. You will not get a hit on the dime. I've never seen a detector that will hit a dime or other target under the nail at distance. Now start rotating the bottle as you wave it in front of the coil. At some point the recovery speed will come into play as you rotate the bottle and you might get a hit on the dime when the bottle is horizontal and both targets are on the same plane with some detectors but with most detectors recovery speeds you still won't hit the dime until the dime is slightly above the nail. You can do this same test using a pull tab instead of a nail above a coin and the results will be the same.

You need tohave the iron disced out. I'd also use auto sens. I hunted for a few weeks with manual and high sens. I have come to the conclusion that auto is actually better most of the time with the ET, it is plenty deep.

Anyway, without the disc on it loses any "See through" ability it might have. IT your case in the OP you probably want to switch to neutral ground, not sure about trash.

I'll be interested to see if you get that experiment to work. Stacked silver dollars fool the Minelabs and Fishers and the T2 but not a Tesoro.

J

I agree with jbow on the auto sensitivity setting.I used to own a minelab quattro and used to use the auto sens most of the time.In this setting the machine is constantly monitoring electromagnetic and ground interference and setting the machine accordingly.In my view the machine was more capable than me in deciding what sensitivity to set.I also know of other more experienced detectorists than me who own explorers and they also use auto sens to great effect,never choosing to use manual sens.

Nauti Neil said:
Hi there,firstly just a quick word on the the statement 'see through capability'.No detector can see a good target if it is completely covered by a piece of iron.Try putting a piece of iron or steel over the top of a coin and still pick up the coin...u won't.People who say they have found coins under bottle caps etc have found them because most detectors will recognise a round rusty bottle cap as a good target especially if it is quite deep.....when they dig the target there may be a coin under the cap making it look as though the detector has 'seen through' the cap.....basically just pure luck.If the coin is by the cap and not directly under it certain detectors with fast recovery speeds can pick up the good target next to the iron.This is what u are seeing when u say that u can't pick up a coin when u place it on your floor...the e-trac has not got a fast enough recovery speed to seperate the good target from the iron nails.....the tejon and cz-5 are well known to be 'fast' in the trash and this is why they can pick up the coin.The e-track has got a fast recovery setting which may make it faster in amongst the iron but the faster setting can make target recognition slightly less accurate and even make some small deep targets break up.I hope this has not put u off the e-track....if it's as good as the explorer it will be a cracking machine.(But if searching in heavily trash infested areas is your thing there are better detectors on the market......the tejon being one of the best.
)

I assume this is your oppinion as I am sure others have found different results myself included. I have been digging a lot of coins with 2-4 nails and others with as many as 3 rusty crown caps in the same 6" plug/hole I would think it is doing something right .Many coins are rust stained on both sides from there close proxemity to iron.I use a uniprobe that picks up all metal in the target recovery erea and many without such a probe will not even realize all the iron that is or could be there.So it is either plenty fast or I am extremely ( LUCKY ) :rofl:
As a matter of fact I would say close to half of the older coins I have found with the E-Trac were in heavy iron/trash and that is why most of them were still there as these sights have been hit hard with most of the top of the line detectors for the last 35 years that I know about,Ray.
PS. It is a cracking good machine reguardless of the Explorer or any other machine it may be compared to.

Just to clarify a few points'
1.Nowhere in my post did i say that the e-trac could not pick out good targets amongst the iron.....i mentioned faster recovery settings which would make it more capable in the trash.I mentioned this because megadiver is new to the machine and may not yet have found the correct settings....i'm sorry if it sounded as though i was saying the e-trac would be no good at all in the iron.(i could have worded this slightly better).
2.I stick to what i said about a detector seeing through a piece of iron...if a coin is COMPLETELY covered by a piece of iron no detector will see it.
3.Opinion has only got one P.