Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just how deep.....?

Knipper

What is the maximum depth from which you want to recover a target? I know the whole idea is to go as deep as possible, but do we really want to dig a hole greater than 12" in a park or a yard? I see a lot of You-Tube videos where detectorists are using shovels. Granted, they are narrow and I know they can do a very neat job. But most reactions to our hobby are based on perception, and a shovel is a shovel. "Officer, there is someone digging holes in the park with a SHOVEL!" I know, a careless hunter can make a bigger mess with a knife or a trowel because they don't care what it looks like when they leave. I would personally only use a shovel in a field or in the woods...never in a park or yard.
Back to the original question. I guess if I knew the target was a gold coin, or diamond ring, I might make the effort and go for an extremely deep target. However if I was in the middle of a well groomed park, with lots of people around, I might mark the target somehow and come back later in the evening when there would be less spectators. Your pinpointing would have to be dead on, so you could make as small a hole as was possible. Also, I think a drop cloth is a great idea, as sometimes getting all that soil back into the hole is a real chore. I hate to leave a "dirt halo" around the plug when I'm done! For me, I WILL dig that deep if I can do so without attracting a lot of attention, and if I think I can do it neatly. It's a lot of effort wasted if the target fooled you and turns out to be deep conductive trash...

I find the "Shovel" Creates less mess than a hand Trough. I also am able to dig nicer plugs that go right back in the ground with little or no mess. It takes practice but is very effective. If U want the really old finds U need to be able to go at least 7-8 inches to recover the epic finds.

I can dig a very neat 4"x4"x12" deep plug with my Predator C-31 shovel, I will dig as deep as I need to go to recover my target. I do have a small advantage in the right type of ground by using my periscope probe. I know exactly how deep to go and can center my target in the hole 95% of the time. Depth is a must where I am. I dug a 9" dime this morning and only managed to get back into the 30's

Dug a 12 inch down 1822 Half Dollar one time. That is the deepest I every been.

Great Post and comments!

I've all but had to give up on some of my favorite parks because someone left open craters and plugs that are cut 360° and stuffed back in the hole. I've had quite a few conversations with groundskeepers that allow me to hunt after I demonstrate my recovery methods and show them I'm willing to carry out garbage I find laying around but have told horror stories about having detectorists charged with destruction of property.

To add this, I've heard stories of detectorists getting downright belligerent with park staff and the police being called.

I'm guessing the flood of new people coming into the hobby might be short lived because everything will be off limits soon. (It's not just beginners, I know 30+ year guys who could care less about permission and courtesy).

I'll admit that I've been annoyed when approached by other hunters with "helpful suggestions" (more often than not they're trying to intimidate you for being on their turf) but I think if we want to keep our access, we should probably call out those who are ruining things with careless and rude tactics.

It's not all gloom and doom, it's a great hobby and the number of great people doing it greatly outnumber the bad. I just hate seeing the bad light that's starting to be cast on detecting.

As far as how deep should you go? I'd say as deep as you need to to get the great stuff provided you can do it with skill and leave no damage.

That's my rant...

Digging or cutting a neat plug or flap is almost an art. As for shovels unless I am in an open field I would never consider it. I have never seen a plug dug with a shovel that was neat and clean enough to where no one could tell someone dug there. I most dig flaps and more than 90% of the time I can't tell where my last flap was. As far as 12" deep plugs or flaps I doubt which I would go for a 12" hole. I have in the past but darn that's pretty deep and lots of care needs to be taken to replace the dirt and sod properly..

I have had people threaten to call the police on me just because they seen me with my detector. When I try to explain I am very careful and responsible they don't care i am ruining a park or playground. I just leave with no confrontation. However most often the same people will leave trash all over the area and think nothing of it.

I had a woman from a parks dept tell me to get off the property and or would call the police without even talking to me. I said no problem mam and when she drove away she threw a water bottle out the window of her parks dept vehicle

My opinion and my opinion only FWIW.
A 'want to be' or newbie sees someone MDing in a park with a shovel and thinks a shovel is OK. Then the newbie proceeds to buy a shovel and eventually gets a NO METAL DETECTING sign posted. IMO opinion save the shovels for field use.

No matter how good one is with a long handle shovel in a park..... to a busy body onlooker, its the 'optics' of someone digging holes in their local beloved park.
Whether a park shovel'er realizes it or not, park shovel'n sooner or later is going to accelerate MDing bans in public parks.

Far as how deep, i've retrieved many keepers deeper than 12" with my Tornado coil in public parks. The trick at least for me to detect known deep target sites is to hunt in off hours with few if any people around, use my stealthy home-brewed trowel, don't detect with a grounds keeper around and try to shield the big pile from the view of any onlookers.

A bandanna sized drop cloth on which you place any excavated dirt helps in leaving your area pristine looking. It is easy to carry and folds away when you're done.

I've never used one of these short handled shovels but have to say that to my eye they APPEAR to be more than is needed for the job. Watching them being used I can see the advantage of finding a deeper target quickly, especially a target that pinpoints off center. Too, a large plug of grass has a good chance of surviving after being returned. I guess the key is to choose the appropriate tool for the job and impressions can be important.

That said, I've used a Hole Hog or an old hunting knife for cutting grass plugs most of my coinshooting career, and most of my hunting was in private yards where I was concerned not only with the results but any impression I might give to the homeowner.

Rich (Utah)

Being a man of Freedom first I believe anyone should have the right to use any digging tool he chooses,that being said a very good park that has given dozens of very old and valuable coins I personally have recovered dozen silver 3 cent pieces,many half dimes,etc.the old park has been hit hard for 40 years and still now and delivers a real gem every year.I have been busy this year and have not had time to hunt it.I was asking several of my friends how they were doing at the park and they said they were all thrown out.I asked if any signs were posted and they said no.I made it a point to locate at the park that evening and yes there was a new caretaker there I did not know about my age.I hunted in front of him for about 2 hours expecting to be confronted finally I walked up to him and said hello.He said he was glad to meet me and he had been expecting to see me. the other caretaker before told him I would be hunting and told him what I looked like.I told him I had heard that he was asking other detectors to leave that I was not sure I could hunt here anymore.He informed me he had been kicking out a bunch of rif raff that looked like bums some even had shovels.He then showed me video's of the bums 3 of them were my friends made me take a hard look at my friends through the camera's eye not too sure that I would have not kicked them out myself they looked like survivalist with tool belts dirty cloths and yes shovels.The only reason I dress up like I do is I am a first responder for a major energy company and on call24/7 I am dressed and ready to go with a Scotty Vest all pockets are on inside and carry my raptor,garrett carrot and concealed carry out of sight.I will not go back to park for awhile if at all,told my friends I got asked to leave also, caretaker cannot wait till next county board meeting so he can show them the video's.I think we may have to change more than just not using shovels.

I think your park caretaker must be the first one that has a dress code for metal detectorists. I wonder if he is applying the same expectations to all who come to the park to enjoy. He obviously has a critical eye.

I am interested in the outcome to the county board meeting, if you don't mind following up on this.

Rich (Utah)

I take a short handled shovel not to dig with but to help me get back up standing, have bad knees. This year S.C. state parks banned metal detecting even the ones at the beach and they don't want you to do it on the sand that is part of the park. I hated that because have found some old buttons one of the parks. shortyr S.C.

I have only had one guy ever say anything negative about detecting. Ended up being fine as I can still detect at that location. As much as the guy wanted to ban it a police officer told me it was okay because they patrol the county parks.

Don't listen to people saying it's good to use a Shovel as it cuts neat plug's, as it looks bad. You take 4-5 or more people hunting a Park all using shovels and you can see why spots are closed. We lost a lot last couple years. Thought hard about leaving Hobby or moving last year or 2. Too many Silver counters who treat it like a game instead of a passion. I think most could care less if We lose Hobby all Together as just the latest craze with all the Detecting show's and such. But it kill's it for us who have had the passion for Year's.

Harold said:
Don't listen to people saying it's good to use a Shovel as it cuts neat plug's, as it looks bad. You take 4-5 or more people hunting a Park all using shovels and you can see why spots are closed. We lost a lot last couple years. Thought hard about leaving Hobby or moving last year or 2. Too many Silver counters who treat it like a game instead of a passion. I think most could care less if We lose Hobby all Together as just the latest craze with all the Detecting show's and such. But it kill's it for us who have had the passion for Year's.

Yes it does look bad.

Rich (Utah)

Wilcox 51S All Pro long handle trowel. Fits easily into my finds pouch, sharp for cutting plugs, small blade width, and capable of going deep. You can be very neat and discreet with it...

Has anyone ever had a complaint about using a sand scoop? just wondering some the deepest holes I ever dug was with sand scoop and I never had a complaint even though I filled hole in you could tell it was much darker than rest of sand.Next rain or tide would return it to normal.

I really have not had any complaints about my shovel I have used it even in our courthouse square and no complaints. I did have permission and a cop stopped rolled down his window. I told him I had permission from the County Co missioners office and he chatted and went on.

That's just it as sometimes you won't here a complaint, But next time you go there will Be a No Metal detecting sign. I got a Bad shoulder and will still never use a shovel in an open area. I don't know who started the Shovel thing but it will be the death of hunting Public Property you will see. To Me it is just common sense.

When I go back to the courthouse I will take my hand Shovel. It will not look at bad there.