Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just wondering? About the iffy signals.

Dancer

I never hunted a Whites. Another line always feels my hand. But the technology of the VI's has me wondering. Does it send iffy signals , and if it does, you guys dig them. I got experience on 5different machines, and truthfully. I'll dig more of those signals earlier in the hunt, and a lot more of them when using a scoop. Questions might seem a little silly, but I imagine every one has walked away wondering. "Should I have dug that target?

I am the same way. Sometimes I am just too tired or the ground is just too hard to dig a particular signal. I think there will always be iffy signals no matter what machine you are using. The advantage of the V series is that you can see the live target response of all three frequencies at the same time which eliminates a lot of the iffiness. Also the V3i has vector and sweep analysis screens which help you decide what to dig. But you will never really know what is actually in the ground unless you dig it.

I usually dig iffy signals if they are 6 or more inches..i've gotten some nice surprises digging the deep iffy ones..

Exactly as undrpar said. Iffy signals are part of the sport, too many things to list here that can cause them. There are so many difference in detectors so like you already know it takes time to learn a detector. The V3i is unlike any detector, any Whites I have used in over 28 years - I like it.

I always dig iffy signals as well but I get less with the V3i. For instance if I am coin hunting and I get a VDI of say 94. This can be a very good Silver Coin. A quick run over the signal with the V and I get the Blue line as dominate and I know the target is iron or gold. I never saw gold give a signal like that and it would have to be a giant piece so I move on without digging. Crushed cans a real good signal that shows a depth of say 2 inches. Move the coil up high in the air or get an over load, and I move on. What I call an iffy signal is a VDI of say 52. Zincs are usually 54 but I will dig a 52 everytime. My machine is set to Consistency (a little longer look by the Detector) Correlate (two frequencies have to agree on VDI) and a moderate Recovery rate with a 10 Band Pass filter. The higher Filter means I can move on much faster with out the Machine getting real chatty. In short I rarely dig signals that don't hit both ways on a swing and don't get much chattering. I have every confidence that a coin 6-8" in the ground is going to set off my machine unless it is completely shielded by iron or junk. If you think 6-8" is not good remember that you are usually swinging in grass or above the ground around 2" above the ground. I hit a Dime yesterday that was above the Speaker hole in my PP or about 7". If you add two inches to clear the grass you get a 9" dime. I analyzed it and saw a wave which in my experience has told me that the coin is on end. Not sure if it was or not but it was a plain clad dime and it hit good hard and loud. Not bad considering I was using a pretty vigorous swing. In addition I was using a SEF 8X6 instead of the big stock coil. Not bad at all. In answer to your question yes I dig iffy signals but these are usually VDI related or any positive signal at all that does not bounce around too much.

If you are not digging iffy targets with any detector, you are missing some very nice targets............ IMHO.

I always dig them.
Right now I'm hunting a really, very bad trashy area full of iffy signals even with a 4" coil.
Had iron, aluminum, silver signals all ringing in just by moving a 4" coil two inches.
The silver signal would only come in on one direction.
I dug a really nice condition 1964 Kennedy Half. It's posted on the finds board.
In the same hole covering it were two steel bottle caps an aluminum twist off cap and two large rusty nails over the coin masking the silver signal and making my detector act crazy.
The silver signal would only repeat from one direction and was really iffy.
I have no choice but to dig those signals in such a trash littered area and I'm glad I did.
Usually I find the typical junk but many times it's paid off in a good find and I don't walk away wondering if I left gold or silver behind.
I think we all dig a lot of junk and it's just the nature of the hobby that you dig more trash than treasure.
The treasure sure is nice !

I dig all iffy signals now IF I could just get lucky and find something good...LOL

I have noticed that the iffy targets are a lot less with my Vx3. I have found a lot more coins on edge than with my xlt. I do dig the iffy targets.