Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Key date Large Cent?? and a Navy Eagle Cuff Button.

Evolution

Got out for a hunt today with a friend and hunted a site We've been to before. Hunted very slowly and dug all the iffy signals. First find was a nice Navy Eagle Cuff Button. Followed that up with a flat button with a nice clear back mark. Finished out the day with a draped bust large cent that appears to be an 1804.... which would make it a key date coin and worth at least $1000. Not 100% sure on the date but it looks like 1804. See what you think.

Wow great finds....... congrats........

Sweet! Why can't mine ever come old the ground with that much detail? Congrats!

Sweet finds! It's too hard to tell from the pics if it is an '04 or not. I found a light coating of Vaseline sometimes helps to see detail. I use it and then let the copper sit out and after a day or two it is not gooky to the touch. There's a product that I often use to stop the verdigris on coppers Verdicare. You could try a pencil rubbing with paper to see if it helps show the date.
Anyway - it's a great coin with nice detail.
HH - Bruce

Shawn N' SC said:
Great finds! Looks to be an 1804 but unfornutalely your way off the 1000$ value.
Really? If it is an 1804.... probably at least 1000..... minimum. Maybe you should look it up before you respond. I will say I'm not sure if its an 1804 but if it is... you're clearly wrong.

Outstanding !

Here's the 1804 I found earlier in the year.

Yes Really. And who looks up coins? Its a dug coin with mineral damage. Clean it and there goes 1/2 the value. PCGS 3 at best. Its the same as if it had rim damage. Good luck on the 1000$.

Shawn N' SC said:
Yes Really. And who looks up coins? Its a dug coin with mineral damage. Clean it and there goes 1/2 the value. PCGS 3 at best. Its the same as if it had rim damage. Good luck on the 1000$.
Ok Shawn. I can see what you're saying. The truth is a coin is worth what somebody will pay for it, not what it says in a book, so I'll agree with you on that point. That's why they're called price "guides". That being said although this coin is not in great condition I'm not "way" off on the value estimate if it is indeed an 1804. I might be a little off but not way off. The rarer colonial and post colonial coins that are auctioned are often dug examples and colonial coin collectors understand that and still buy them at auction, even if they are "environmentally damaged" by the ground conditions. For the record I didn't clean this coin because in my experience the flaky look that it has tells me it wouldn't do too well with most cleaning methods. And for the record, everybody looks up coins. Maybe not in the 2014 redbook but somewhere. After looking at mine closer I'm not 100% its an 1804 anyway. The 4 in the date looks wrong. Thanks for your replies.

Just to voice my humble opinion, I think if it does turn out to be an 1804 and the date can be cleaned up just a tiny bit, it can be a $1,000 coin. Early copper collectors are a unique breed and are not afraid to pay for a coin if they need it for their collection. It also appeals to two different collectors, those who collect by date and those who collect by variety. This is the only variety of the year so both collectors would need this coin. BTW, it's a Sheldon 266 and is know both with and without die breaks. Last by not least, most real copper collectors wouldn't put it in a slab and if it was in one they would break it out. It doesn't matter what PCGS says as in my opinion they don't know squat about early copper. Here's an example of a 1786 Round Head that's slabbed as a small head. FYI, they only made the Small Head CT in 1787 and 1788. Take out your Redbook and look up 1787 Small Head and you can see how distinctive it is and that's not what's in this slab.

Shawn N' SC said:
Great finds! Looks to be an 1804 but unfornutalely your way off the 1000$ value.

If you can read the date (do the Vaseline trick) the coin IS worth $1000+

Here's one for $2150:

mNHg3BKhyCCEmzx3yHJ3V9w.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Draped-Bust-17961807-/11947/i.html?_nkw=1804