Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Knives

Thanks.
I need another indestructible saw back machete.
That course steel cutting blade did steel and wood.
I case hardened the edge.
After many years one of the boys finally put a chip in it hitting a big rock.
Not even sure where to get a 1/4" thick 20" long 2" tall metal cutting saw blade today. I think it was 8-10 tpi..
Found that in a bunch of surplus Inna barrel many years ago.
This is my oll metal chop saw.
I save the worn out blade for knives.
These are 14" long.
Not tempered and drawn properly they snap off.
The blade I'm looking for went on the larger saw.
And I ain't finding em. 😠

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_202556_hdr~2.jpg
    IMG_20230629_202556_hdr~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230629_202806_hdr~2.jpg
    IMG_20230629_202806_hdr~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Thanks.
I need another indestructible saw back machete.
That course steel cutting blade did steel and wood.
I case hardened the edge.
After many years one of the boys finally put a chip in it hitting a big rock.
Not even sure where to get a 1/4" thick 20" long 2" tall metal cutting saw blade today. I think it was 8-10 tpi..
Found that in a bunch of surplus Inna barrel many years ago.
This is my oll metal chop saw.
I save the worn out blade for knives.
These are 14" long.
D Not tempered and drawn properly they snap off.
The blade I'm looking for went on the larger saw.
And I ain't finding em. 😠
If the guy has got them still I'll get them blades you are talking about. He had a bunch last time I talked to him, this ones he had were about 2" × 16 or 18" long. Either 3/16" or 1/4" thick. Them blades were for a antique saw his grandpa had.

I may get back into knife making someday soon. I've made many over the years, but life got in the way while I was married and paying for everything.

I've made my living working out of a Pro Forge PF-200 every day for the last 25 years. Before the Pro Forge I used an NC Whisper Momma.

1688152533618.jpeg

I have several anvils. The one I work on most is a Hay Budden 125 pound, but I also have a 115lb Trenton, a 125lb Mankel, a 100lb Emerson, and a 204lb Hay Budden shop anvil.

I may get back into knife making someday soon. I've made many over the years, but life got in the way while I was married and paying for everything.

I've made my living working out of a Pro Forge PF-200 every day for the last 25 years. Before the Pro Forge I used an NC Whisper Momma.

View attachment 42857

I have several anvils. The one I work on most is a Hay Budden 125 pound, but I also have a 115lb Trenton, a 125lb Mankel, a 100lb Emerson, and a 204lb Hay Budden shop anvil.
Yeah when the Wuhan disease hit, I was put on a permanent vacation from my job. So I got back into making knives & between the knives & a few wrench jobs I'm staying afloat. Mainly the knives have been keeping food on the table at least. That lil forge looks nice. Looks well designed & got the good burners in it. Thanks.

Yeah when the Wuhan disease hit, I was put on a permanent vacation from my job. So I got back into making knives & between the knives & a few wrench jobs I'm staying afloat. Mainly the knives have been keeping food on the table at least. That lil forge looks nice. Looks well designed & got the good burners in it. Thanks.
The main reason I like the Pro Forge is its design. The heat rolls inside, so it stays more uniform. And it's advertised to hit 2600°F, so I can forge weld in it, which is important to me because I handmake all my own bar shoes.

View attachment 42857

Hay Budden Is One of the best... My grand father had one... I've never been able to get one.... *poor me *:heh:

haybuddin125.jpg

Hay Budden Is One of the best... My grand father had one... I've never been able to get one.... *poor me *:heh:

View attachment 42861
That one has had a hard life!
Mine aren't that beat up. I need good edges to do what I do. All the shoes I nail on have hammer drawn clips.

Hammers are pretty important, too. My favorite rounding hammer is an old Mustad-Jim Poor, and I use a Roy Bloom ball-pein for clipping. I have a Bloom rounding hammer and a Mustad cross-pein that are pretty much just my back-ups.

That one has had a hard life!
Mine aren't that beat up. I need good edges to do what I do. All the shoes I nail on have hammer drawn clips.

Hammers are pretty important, too. My favorite rounding hammer is an old Mustad-Jim Poor, and I use a Roy Bloom ball-pein for clipping. I have a Bloom rounding hammer and a Mustad cross-pein that are pretty much just my back-ups.
That pic was just a reference.... But an unfortunate reality as well... when an anvil comes up for sale around here... that's the condition It's in... To find a decent used one... I'd have to travel half way into PA... That seems to be where the good ones live.... This Pic is One I came across at a shop I do service work for... The boss let me take pictures of it... But he wouldn't sell... It's still beat up... But not so bad it can't be dolly'd up a bit.... I tried to get him to leave it to me in his will... he didn't budge... Lol.... When an anvil is in decent shape... It's not for sale.... so I keep lookin...
SAM_8706.JPG

That pic was just a reference.... But an unfortunate reality as well... when an anvil comes up for sale around here... that's the condition It's in... To find a decent used one... I'd have to travel half way into PA... That seems to be where the good ones live.... This Pic is One I came across at a shop I do service work for... The boss let me take pictures of it... But he wouldn't sell... It's still beat up... But not so bad it can't be dolly'd up a bit.... I tried to get him to leave it to me in his will... he didn't budge... Lol.... When an anvil is in decent shape... It's not for sale.... so I keep lookin...
View attachment 42862
Grind out all the rust, then pre-heat that thing to about 300° and get some 4140 tool steel welding rod. That would clean up nicely.

Them are all sharp knives too😎 Is that a Gil Hibbens at the very top? Thanks. I see you like your fix blade knives. My next knife design is going to be a small neck knife or a cross carry sheath knife. Maybe both!
Yes, that is a limited edition Gil Hibben "War Bird".
There's also a Gerber Mk1, a Puma boot knife, a Browning (Hiitori) drop point, a Case XXX boot knife, and an A.G. Russell "Sting".