Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Last Hunt...Some Silver

Blind Squirrel

Howdy---
I was on dialysis last night and I like to listen to Coast2Coastam when I'm tied to the machine. Wouldn't you know? The topic was "Unearthed Treasure." Well, after 40 years of metal detecting I could probably talk about my finds for hours hahah. As it turned out they took my call with about 10 minutes left in the show. I had to talk fast but I had enough time to talk about the joy that this hobby has given me and of course I did mention some of my favorite finds. Surprisingly, I was the only caller who spoke of metal detecting finds! Other callers spoke of records that they found at garage sales or in the trash or rare books that they found etc. Anyway, that reminded me that I was remiss in posting, here, my latest finds.

There was a house that I delivered Meals on Wheels to about 15 years ago. In my travels, I passed by it last week and found that the house had been removed. All that remained was sidewalk, foundation and a couple old trees. The first chance that I had, I went back there with my V3i and was rewarded with 6 silver coins, some wheat cents and of course a bit of clad and memorials. In the silver my favorite was the 1927-D Standing Liberty Quarter it has some stains on it that I'll try to remove. Here in Texas, Mexican coins are common finds, I think that it is cool though, to have dug 2 Mexican 20 Centavos coins - one a .720 silver 1937 and the other a 1943 copper. It was fun to get out swinging the coil again but I sure do miss my old hunting buddy Kenneth who passed away in February . Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• 27-Dlsq&m's.jpg
    27-Dlsq&m's.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
Really nice assortment of finds! I like the older Mexico coins and SLQ. Know what you mean, lost a great buddy and hunting partner 2 years ago. Really miss that guy. On to the positive, great to see you're having success, CONGRATS and looking forward to seeing more from you.

Glad you’re still able to get out and “swing your thing” as they say. Who knew we now have national radio celebrity in the forum!!!
Funny thing about the Mexican coins… last year I was playing around in a well hunted county park and pulled out a 1934 Peso. Again, how did it get there is a good question!!

Good to see your out squirrel glad your our detecting again.,
Mark

Nice story and a 6 silver hunt is a banner hunt in my book. Nice job and good luck with your dialysis. HH jim tn
Thanks jim TN, I'll hit that site again the first chance that I get. Doctors have said that I have a 50% chance of being around for another 5 years. I guess I'll have to detect while I can. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Nice story and interesting tou mentioned Mexican coins
I found one in 2017 and astonished how it got in my state and buried here.
Ever see one like this?
Thank you Coin Rescue Inc. That coin looks VERY familiar. I believe that I have dug a similar coin a year or 2 ago. I'll have to look in my finds boxes and see. Here in west Texas, oil country, I have dug coins from many different countries. While hunting abandoned oil camps that were active in the 1940's and 50's, I've dug English, French , German, Austrailian, China, African, Canadian and coins from various South American countries. The majority of foreign coins though are Mexican. I speculate that the majority of foreign coins found at the oil camps were brought back by miltary personell that were active in WW2. Just a guess though. That is a cool find. What state did you dig it in? Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Really nice assortment of finds! I like the older Mexico coins and SLQ. Know what you mean, lost a great buddy and hunting partner 2 years ago. Really miss that guy. On to the positive, great to see you're having success, CONGRATS and looking forward to seeing more from you.
Thanks utmike! I'm sorry to hear that you lost a good friend and hunting buddy. Even after 2 years it is still pains a person who cares. Thanks for your encouragement in my struggles. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Glad you’re still able to get out and “swing your thing” as they say. Who knew we now have national radio celebrity in the forum!!!
Funny thing about the Mexican coins… last year I was playing around in a well hunted county park and pulled out a 1934 Peso. Again, how did it get there is a good question!!
Thanks Ronstar! Radio celebrity hahah. That was only the 2nd time that I have ever called in on a talk show. The other time was a local show that the topic was providing a social security # at the DPS to renew a driver's liscense. I viewed it as a back door method for gun registration. And that is a hot button issue for me.
Regarding your peso find - you never know what that next signal will produce. Most of the time you will never know how or why a certain find was lost there. Just smile with the realization that you have resqued it from the bowells of Mother Earth! Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thank you Coin Rescue Inc. That coin looks VERY familiar. I believe that I have dug a similar coin a year or 2 ago. I'll have to look in my finds boxes and see. Here in west Texas, oil country, I have dug coins from many different countries. While hunting abandoned oil camps that were active in the 1940's and 50's, I've dug English, French , German, Austrailian, China, African, Canadian and coins from various South American countries. The majority of foreign coins though are Mexican. I speculate that the majority of foreign coins found at the oil camps were brought back by miltary personell that were active in WW2. Just a guess though. That is a cool find. What state did you dig it in? Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel
Hi,
The Mexican coin was found in Michigan. There was an old house and garage that was torn down across the street from some Military housing that was erected for the Air Force in the mid-1950's.
I found this coin close to the garage slab that was left in tact. Maybe 20-30 ft away I found many 1950 coins. several rosey and merc dimes. Many were Wheat Cents. One day I found like (:geek: 1955 cents. Like a pocket spill.
So I thought maybe they were dropped from a roll of pennies. Best I can guess that some service man was down your way and brought it back, then lost it up here.
This is what make thing interesting, putting clues together.

Hi,
The Mexican coin was found in Michigan. There was an old house and garage that was torn down across the street from some Military housing that was erected for the Air Force in the mid-1950's.
I found this coin close to the garage slab that was left in tact. Maybe 20-30 ft away I found many 1950 coins. several rosey and merc dimes. Many were Wheat Cents. One day I found like :)geek: 1955 cents. Like a pocket spill.
So I thought maybe they were dropped from a roll of pennies. Best I can guess that some service man was down your way and brought it back, then lost it up here.
This is what make thing interesting, putting clues together.
Howdy Coin Rescue Inc:
I've been looking for that similar Mexican coin that you showed me. I know that I dug one a couple of years ago but after 40 years of detecting it could be in any number of containers that I stash my finds in. I'll keep looking. While I was looking for it, I came across a lot of finds that brought back good memories. You mentioned the fun of putting clues together to speculate how certain finds ended up where found. Here are a couple of finds that have intreaged me for years. I had been hunting a military campsite on a Texas trail and the surrounding area for several years. About a quarter mile from the campsite, I discovered the remains of an old dug out ( a dwelling dug in a hill). At that site, I had dug an 1854 Liberty Seated quarter, several eagle buttons and some woman's jewelery. I also dug, in one hole, 22 fired Sharps cartridges and a few feet from the cartridge brass, I dug the Cavalry Officers Sword Belt Plate (1851-1874). About 25 yards from there, I dug the Mexican Plate circa 1847 and in the immediate vicinity several spent percussion caps. These finds sent my imagination in gear. Were they shooting at each other? Reliving anger over the Alamo or the Mexican War? Were they fighting over the woman who lived in the dug out? Or were these 2 finds completley unrelated and they were just having some target practice? I guess that I'll never really know. But it's fun to think about. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• Pecos Plates.jpg
    Pecos Plates.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 65