Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Light weight scoop search

undersc0re

I am looking to buy a wet sand type scoop, I used the trex 9.5 for a couple years and sold it. I would like my new investment to be at least a pound lighter same price range, does anyone know if there is such a thing but which would also take a beating like the trex. Something in north america would be nice, I am going to use lighter weight wood and knock 8 in off the length to lighten it up this time. I am leaning towards one called xtreme but it looks a little bit flimsy, anyone try it yet?

If your willing to buy from outside of the U.S. it can be done. I have a stavr with cf handle. I pound the living sht out of both of them.

Good scoops tend to be a bit weighty imo. But I would recommend carbon fibre handle over wood to cut weight. You can fill it with foam too if you want.

Champ Ferguson said:
Good scoops tend to be a bit weighty imo. But I would recommend carbon fibre handle over wood to cut weight. You can fill it with foam too if you want.

I read a couple posts where the carbon fibre handle was very slightly heavier than the wood handle which surprised me, doesn't make sense. The handles seem to be in the $125 range american. I agree about the weight, I guess if I want a good scoop I will just have put up with a heavy one. I have been googling like crazy last couple days and I have narrowed my decision down to 2 or 3 scoops all made in the usa and around $200.

I suggest the Stealth 720i hybrid with the carbon fiber handle. This Stealth is about a pound lighter than the 8 inch T-rex, and the carbon fiber handle is about 3/4 lb lighter than a wood handle.

The Stealth 720i with carbon fiber handle is very well balanced, and has a European point that works well around rocks as well as clean sand. Both the scoop and the handle have lifetime guarantees. Over the years I have had occasion to have a Stealth Scoop repaired and a travel handle replaced by Chuck, the Stealth Scoop owner, in a prompt extremely hassle free manner.

If you do water or night detecting, the "night button" option on the handle is worth it to keep the scoop going exactly where you want it.

HH

Charles

I use a scoop I made from all aluminum, the handle is 1 1/2" aluminum pipe sealed off with 6" round bucket that I get teased about for being so heavy. When I have used a much lighter scoop with a wood handle and a V shaped SS bucket my buddy has I will say it is much lighter......... to carry around.....It seemed about the same dragging it behind me in the wet/dry sand and in the water. I dig and sift one handed so the big difference for me is the larger SS bucket holds lots more sand and it kills me with my digging style.

Here are some random thoughts on scoops that are just my opinion:

1. I like the 1 1/2" water tight handle, It adds buoyancy but more important to me is the chances of it breaking on a hunt is very slim. It would kill me to stop or interrupt hunting if a handle broke.
2. The V shaped bucket made from thinner SS then my round aluminum one cuts thru sand and pebbles/rock so much better then mine.
3. Lots of 3/16 holes instead of 3/8 is better for smaller items, just to stop the chasing around some of those little boogers.

What do you think about the 8” vs 9.5” width difference. I mistakenly bought a 5” off Amazon and while built really nice it needed to be scaled up to suit my needs. I had a huge scoop I bought used at first and it was just a chore to bring along with me - heavy, pointy sharp, and in the way. I’ve been spoiled by using a green feed shovel for wet/dry sand - lousy for in the water. I bought a steel shovel with holes in it that digs great in water but of course it can’t hold the material to bring up and look at so it needs an addition over the top like most scoops have. Moving from 5” width to 8”has a lot of options - some less than $100 but 9.5” wide just a couple. Does that mean sticking with 8” is way more recommended? My area is So CA beaches - mostly just sand but rocks if I go south or really low tide.

undersc0re said:
I am looking to buy a wet sand type scoop, I used the trex 9.5 for a couple years and sold it. I would like my new investment to be at least a pound lighter same price range, does anyone know if there is such a thing but which would also take a beating like the trex. Something in north america would be nice, I am going to use lighter weight wood and knock 8 in off the length to lighten it up this time. I am leaning towards one called xtreme but it looks a little bit flimsy, anyone try it yet?
weight Stavr scoop EVROEXCAVATOR-2 V.22 = 1,05kg (2,36lb)
          EVROEXCAVATOR-2 V.33 = 1.15kg (2.55lb)
          MONSTRIK-9 = 1.3kg (2.86 lb)
        MONSTRIK-9 Lightweight = 1.12kg (2.46lb)

The handle of the premium ash weighs as much as the carbon fiber of the same strength.
Carbon handles is good for travel handle.

[attachment 352397 DSC01318.JPG]Hi Guys ,

I recently purchased a Sito scoop and got the 200mm model which has a handle dia. of 38mm. I got a 43 thickness ash handle and wittle it down to 38 mm used a handle of a drill and slipped a piece of pvc and end cap over the ash handle and a couple of magnets at the rear. The scoop is excellent in design and laser cut.

Regards Below2doe.

Looks good . I got away from wood handles , because they WILL eventually break . I made up a handle of aluminum pipe 1 size bigger than the scoop diameter . Then I cut it horizontally at the bottom ,and banged it in tight . .Got the local welding guy to weld the slot that was still visible. This is extremely strong for heavy duty great lakes action. Also put a plastic shovel handle on the end . - mike