Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looks like a call to minelab is in order again.

Buried Crap NJ

I had to send the 3030 back about 8 months ago because the handle where the carbon fiber goes was worn and loose. I told Minelab at that time the lower shaft was not being held tight at all lengths. Now I have had just about all I can take of the detector sliding down when you try and scoop a target. The carbon fiber is so worn the latch won't hold. The lower shaft is worn smooth with none of the woven design left. This looks like it will become a problem for others some day. I'll let you know what comes of the call tomorrow.
BCNJ

Can you post a picture?

I'm interested in the carbon area that is worn smooth. Curious how that happened, and what it looks like, and what to watch for.

You talk about the "detector sliding down when you try and scoop a target." Just how are you 'scooping' a target with your detector? I may have an incorrect picture of what you are doing, but, I don't think the detector was designed for digging......I can see where pressure on the coil end would eventually cause the friction grip to slip.

Roland58 said:
You talk about the "detector sliding down when you try and scoop a target." Just how are you 'scooping' a target with your detector? I may have an incorrect picture of what you are doing, but, I don't think the detector was designed for digging......I can see where pressure on the coil end would eventually cause the friction grip to slip.

When you rest the detector to the right as you scoop with the left hand the coil is touching the sand. The weight of the machine allow the shafts to collapsed towards the ground. When you raise the coil again the lower shaft slides back out.
BCNJ

BCNJ,
Okay, I got your drift now. And, yes, I can see you have a definite problem and cannot imagine what may have caused the issue. I would think that Minelab would stand behind the product, if the problem is not a result of misuse in any way. (not pointing any fingers, just saying!)

What was the result of your call to Minelab?

Roland58 said:
BCNJ,
Okay, I got your drift now. And, yes, I can see you have a definite problem and cannot imagine what may have caused the issue. I would think that Minelab would stand behind the product, if the problem is not a result of misuse in any way. (not pointing any fingers, just saying!)

What was the result of your call to Minelab?

Over use maybe LOL! Did not call hunting too much right now conditions prevail.
BCNJ

Well, if it is working alright, just put some duct tape around the connection between the upper and lower sections.........problem solved.

Let us know how they fix it.

I remember your post in September 2012, when you first reported it.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1780232,1780331#msg-1780331

I've not seen many reports from land hunters......making me wonder if it has something to do with suspended sand and sediment getting between the rod and the hardware. :shrug:

Just curious.....what did they do to fix it, the other time(s) you sent it in? HH Randy

Roland.... Are you kidding? Duct tape? Thats like putting plastic where you broke the window in your Maserati! Im sure Its not acceptable to many yo put sticky duct tape on their high end machine. Obviously, there are some design flaws that get fixed, but what about after warranty when something fails. ML is surely missing customer service and will be losing marketshare, when another company steps up. Im still pissed about the sales pitch of software updates that aren't coming. I would have never purchased the CTX if I had known how things played out. Im a ML guy, but will certainly look at others for next machine. I have had 5 ML's, so I able to say.
Thanks,
Mike

mcb613 said:
Roland.... Are you kidding? Duct tape? Thats like putting plastic where you broke the window in your Maserati! Im sure Its not acceptable to many yo put sticky duct tape on their high end machine. Obviously, there are some design flaws that get fixed, but what about after warranty when something fails. ML is surely missing customer service and will be losing marketshare, when another company steps up. Im still pissed about the sales pitch of software updates that aren't coming. I would have never purchased the CTX if I had known how things played out. Im a ML guy, but will certainly look at others for next machine. I have had 5 ML's, so I able to say.
Thanks,
Mike

It would be hard to convince me that Roland was suggesting anything other than a temporary solution for BC's issue right now. I see Digger beat me to the punch about sand, grit, whatever getting in there a heck of a lot more than the usual detectorist because BC is in the water or on the beach most of the time ( please correct me if wrong BC) As far as after a warranty is up, I don't expect anything to last forever from any company but, I am sure there will probably will be some "fix" to the issue even if it is an ugly one.

Yes, I think most of us are annoyed or PO'd about the lack of updates, but we sure have covered that a thousand times elsewhere.

I am an ML guy too (since the mid 90's). But, I believe I would have still purchased the CTX if I had a chance to do it again.. I can not deny that is has found me a lot of treasure. With that said, I simply like to have the latest and greatest, just because I do. I can not say with 100% assurance that my Etrac or Explorer or Sovereign wouldn't have found the same things, but again I just like to try out new things.

Finally I am on the same path as you if Minelab ends up coming out with another detector before they start pushing some updates to the CTX's...

Oh.. I meant to add that I a long time ago I stopped positioning the cam into the locked position after I had finished a hunt and put the detector back in the car. I figured that would eliminate half of the wear on the locking mechanism....Locking it after a hunt was just a habit I quit

The ctx build quality considering just how expensive a machine it is i have to say is not good. The shaft locking mech on the explorers are much much better than the ctx. I personally think minelab couls have done a fair amount better on overall build quality of the ctx.

GKMan, that's a really smart thing to do, stop locking it after a hunt, as you say will reduce the wear alot. Thanks for the idea, I'll start tomorrow.

Roland, some guys just dont understand that in Texas if it moves and it aint supposed to move, we put duct tape on it. If it doesnt move and is supposed to move, we put WD40 on it! :laugh:

But, I wonder if the sand is getting in the locking mechanism and with operation is causing it to wear a bit in the cam lock itself, not the grip part? Seems to me that if the shaft is sliding up and down inside the locking mechanism then either the shaft is too small a diameter (maybe contracting in the cold Jersey water - shrinkage you know - lol), or the locking mechanism itself is worn in the cam pivot area. If there is another CTX digger near I would compare the two parts, the lower shaft and the locking mechanism, maybe switch shafts to see.

As you said the lower shaft is visibly worn and it will need to be replaced. i dont know how a person could increase the diameter of the lower shaft so, I think a temporary fix for the issue is in the locking mechanism. In looking closely at the locking mechanism, the cam part that actually pivots and presses in to the lock area can get worn a bit if sand or debris were present while operating the locking mech many times. As you said you were too busy to call Minelab right now, and like Roland said, why not do a couple of temporary 'tighten the locking mechanism' remedies? Maybe put a piece of electrical tape on the actual cam portion of the lock to see if it will tighten it up a bit more. I would try both top and bottom cams on the lock with a VERY thin hard plastic to see if that helped til you call Minelab. That will also isolate the actual issue.

I'm just now starting to experience the same thing as BCNJ and today, broke down the machine to inspect it and found the shaft is worn smooth in one area, (where it is usually adjusted to for use). The mechanism itself doesn't appear to be a problem since the shaft holds well when in a different spot on the shaft. I just ordered a 17" coil and another shaft so my problem will be fixed with the new lower shaft.
I need to give Minelab a call also to see what to do with my existing shaft.
I did have a thought on a fix/repair, I think if the shaft was sprayed with whatever they finish the CF shaft with (clearcoat of some type) that could build up the area just enough for it to hold again. That may just work for a period of time until it wears out again.

Cliff

nagov said:
I'm just now starting to experience the same thing as BCNJ and today, broke down the machine to inspect it and found the shaft is worn smooth in one area, (where it is usually adjusted to for use). The mechanism itself doesn't appear to be a problem since the shaft holds well when in a different spot on the shaft. I just ordered a 17" coil and another shaft so my problem will be fixed with the new lower shaft.
I did have a thought on a fix/repair, I think if the shaft was sprayed with whatever they finish the CF shaft with (clearcoat of some type) that could build up the area just enough for it to hold again. That may just work for a period of time until it wears out again.

Cliff

This is just a shame and unacceptable. There is no way that anyone should have these kinds of problems and have to resort to makeshift repairs/fixes on a detector that cost as much as the CTX 3030! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that mine holds up!

Altamaha

I am so glad I sold my CTX early last year, I could see where all these faults were likely to come and the prices for spares after the warranty has run out will break the bank.
Keeping the ET has been vindicated .

nagov said:

Cliff

I would think a thin layer of fiberglass resin would do the trick.

I never made the call as I don't want to be without the machine right this minute! I believe I can fix the problem by spaying it with something? Its really a matter of only several thousands of an inch that is worn!
BCNJ

Of course, if you 'spay' it, it won't be able to have babies! :biggrin:

Seriously, something you might try: On the clamp lever, there is a high cam that presses against the inner shaft when clamped. Try putting a couple of coats of clear nail polish on the high cam. It may wear off before long, but, may work in the meantime. Another thought for something a little harder would be to put a coat of medium CA on the same spot and spray it with some 'kicker.' (If you are not familiar with the 'kicker', it makes the CA glue (cyanoacrylate) set up almost instantly). Unless you are very careful applying it, be sure to put a drop of oil on each bearing surface so you don't glue the clamp open!

Take care.....

Perhaps what I do might help in the future for those who read this post.

I carry a pack of those 'Wet Ones' in the car. When putting the CTX away, the first thing I do, before even unlocking the latch on the shaft, is take a wet one and wipe the lower shaft. I don't unlock the latch so that the dirty lower shaft can't move up into the latch and upper shaft. I then use the wet one and a small paint brush to clean the rest of the machine. Then I unlatch it and put it in its case.

Looking at that picture and seeing the underside of the latch and where it is worn, I have never paid too much attention to that. I think I'll make sure it's clean now.