Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Love my CTX but need a sun ray?

li-mike

Hi Guys, I just purchased a CTX and I am having alot of fun with it. I just miss my sun ray probe. I have the whites handheld probe but its just not the same. I was thinking of purchasing the pistol probe and giving that a shot. Anybody know if they will be coming out with the sun ray for the CTX?

Welcome to the ctx 3030 family, from what im hearing the makers of Sunray probes have no plans of coming out with something for the ctx 3030 because the new technology thats required for it to work with the ctx 3030 is costly, because the ctx has a special chip in the coil for the FBS 2 technology sunray would have to Incorporate the chip in there prob some how for it to work

:minelab: CTX 3030
:minelab: Etrac
:whites: Whites m6
Pro pointer
Ulster County NY
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/firefighter2542005

No Sun Ray at this time I also have the White pinpointer but I use the Garrett it work better and I have be told that the pistol work even better. :twodetecting::minelab::thumbup:

I am a pro pointer user currently and miss my x1 bad I am going to move to the pistol probe very soon.

I read that the Pistol Probe doesn't have a proximity sound that gets faster as you get closer to the target. And, it is PI so you have to keep the probe moving to get a signal.

You can use the ring trick or buy a little $10 device to double the Propointer range.

I bought both new and I did not like the Pistol Probe after 2 hours of use so I sold it and kept the Pro Pointer. My take on the Pistol Probe is that it does have better depth than the Pro Pointer unless you do the nickel trick with the Pro Pointer then they are very close in depth. The Pistol was way to big for my liking, it was not as loud, awkward to use and the sound does not increase as you get closer. The size of the Pro Pointer is much nicer, the holster makes it very convenient and build quality makes it feel much better than the Pistol Probe. It was an easy decision to make to sell the Pistol Probe and keep the Pro Pointer.

Just my 2 cents

I love my Sun Ray Probes, but the detectors that I try or those Sun Ray don't make probes for I found out the Uni Probe is my second choice and has plenty of depth, but it is a all metal probe not a disc like the Sun Ray is.
With the Uni Probe you do have the extra cable, but using it is so easy to do and you don't have to remove your headphone to pinpoint.
With the Uni Probe built into the Headphones you also have the top quality headphone built by Detector Pro maker of the Gray Ghost and a thinner probe that goes very deep. Very good setup.

Rick

Jeff in Pa said:
My take on the Pistol Probe is that it does have better depth than the Pro Pointer unless you do the nickel trick with the Pro Pointer then they are very close in depth.

Just my 2 cents
What is the nickel trick?

Search YouTube for it, by laying a coin on the barrel of the PP and sliding it up toward the active end and then sliding back just a bit so it won't sound off this will double the detection depth. It works, I have tried it but I don't see a use for that much depth. I am happy with what the PP gives me without having to do this.

pspr said:
I read that the Pistol Probe doesn't have a proximity sound that gets faster as you get closer to the target. And, it is PI so you have to keep the probe moving to get a signal.

You can use the ring trick or buy a little $10 device to double the Propointer range.

There is an aftermarket device available to double the range?

I know and use the coin trick but never heard about a device available. Anyone???

Double the length might be stretching it a bit but I suppose it could be possible. The $10 device works just the same as a coin, washer or in my case, my wedding ring.

earthmansurfer said:
pspr said:

There is an aftermarket device available to double the range?

I know and use the coin trick but never heard about a device available. Anyone???

The guy that sells them is a member here. Send a PM to Ism (I don't know if that first character is a small "L" or a large "i"). They work like the nickle or ring or coin trick but it is a little switch he made called the "sidekick" that you stick to the side of the Propointer. I bought one, it is a little tricky to get just in the right place but it works. On an object that the Propointer starts beeping at 2" you can get 1 or 2 inches more away and it will detect it. His works like a switch. You just push it down and the range increases. Let it up and you are back to normal. It works pretty slick.

There is a YouTube video on it too if you want to see what it looks like.

Update: I couldn't find the video. The guy seems to want to keep a low profile. I told him to sell them on ebay but haven't seen them anywhere.

Found the video. Just go to youtube and search for: propointer sidekick. It's the second or so video that comes up.

Turn the pinpointer on. get any smaller coin, and start at the battery end and slide the coin toward the detecting end. when it starts making a noise back it off till it stops. The pinpointer should have an extra 1 1/2 to 2 inches of depth added... hope this helps

I don't see any real easy way to make the connection to the CTX for a Sun Ray to be attached. It would have to be at the box inline with the coil wire and then exit through the bottom. I have used Sun rays probes and have sold all the ones I have. I use hand held propointer. I found that I like them best. I guess its a personal issue.

I'm the same. I found the SunRay probe mostly was just added weight to my Explorer. It was really frustrating when after using it I forgot to flip the switch back to the coil. Sometimes I would be detecting for 15 minutes or so before I realized I hadn't flipped the switch back. The Garrett ProPointer works much better for me.

Ray told me there would not be a SunRay probe due to the electronic of the CTX.

Rick(ND) said:
I love my Sun Ray Probes, but the detectors that I try or those Sun Ray don't make probes for I found out the Uni Probe is my second choice and has plenty of depth, but it is a all metal probe not a disc like the Sun Ray is.
With the Uni Probe you do have the extra cable, but using it is so easy to do and you don't have to remove your headphone to pinpoint.
With the Uni Probe built into the Headphones you also have the top quality headphone built by Detector Pro maker of the Gray Ghost and a thinner probe that goes very deep. Very good setup.

Rick
Thank you all for your help on this. I went hunting today at an old farm and I used the whites pin pointer, didnt like it at all. Rick, I like the sound of the uni probe, I am going to look into that. Thanks again

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1705049,1706204#msg-1706204