Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Love my CTX, just don't know if I'll be able to keep it:ranting:

This is my 2nd CTX in 5 months, both brand new. The first one developed a screen problem 3 weeks after I bought it. Vertical lines started appearing on my screen and Jamie took care of me right away and sent me out a new machine and off I went. Fast forward to today. I finally get out to hunt the dirt(been on the beach exclusively due to heat) and I turn on my machine and get the same lines forming on my screen. I love my CTX because tonight it helped me to find these.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Last week I had to send in my WM10 because it took a dump. This will be my 2nd machine with screen problems. Obviously it didn't hurt it's performance but if I ever wanted to sell it I'd have to discount it a ton because I sure wouldn't throw a ton of money on a used machine with a messed up screen. I will say I have babied this machine. I rinse it off after every outing. I clean everything the way it should be. It has never been outside without it's screen protector on. It has never been dropped but rather gently placed everywhere because the dang thing seems so fragile. What good is a machine like this if it breaks all the time just with normal use? Am I the only one to get 2 lemons out of the minelab factory?

I am going to send it in AGAIN. I spent nearly 2k for a machine that has had to be replaced now likely for the 2nd time in less than 5 months. The vaunted WM10 already died and is being replaced. This is ok? Normal? What I should expect or accept for buying a CTX? Great machines are only great if they're reliable and can use them for their intended purposes without having to worry about breaking. I guess I'm confused.

I was confused about this line, "but if I ever wanted to sell it I'd have to discount it a ton because I sure wouldn't throw a ton of money on a used machine with a messed up screen."
Which clearly implied you weren't going to have it fixed.

I didn't realize you were primarily wanting to vent...and I would probably feel exactly the same way in your shoes.

Fortunately for me, I've also had two units...for several years...and only had to send in one time (but it was also for the screen problem, though).

I hope your luck improves,
hh
mike

I could have been more clear by what I meant. My fear is I'm going to have to decide once I get it fixed to sell it at that point so I can get top $ or keep it and risk what appears to be an eventual breakdown sometime between now and warranty ending. I'm frustrated for sure because I finally got the funds to buy what I consider to be the best detector only to have to settle for a lesser more reliable unit because of the fragility of the CTX. I just don't get it. I've owned many other detectors and never have I had to send one in for service out of the ATPro, Etrac, MXT, V3i, DF. Maybe I was lucky in that respect.

I say get it fixed and use and enjoy what it can do!
It is a piece of electronics, some where down the line it's going to be outdated and it's value will reflect that
Minlab is on the right track with there customer service ;-)
Fix it use it and enjoy
BT

Did I read a while back that ML changed where they manufacture the CTX? It seems like the more recent machines seem to get a lot more of these types of posts than did the ones that were manufactured longer ago....?

I have two 3030's and sent both in for screen lines..one under warranty...one not under warranty.Took for ever get fixed(Think it cost 200.00 and something to get fixed).
I have one of the two with lines again....just going to use in the water....had one leak...sent that in to get fixed too.........I pretty much use my E-trac on land! My Buddy has had a 3030 for about 6 months...Just got lines in the screen!

wow I've had mine since they first came on the market maybe 3 years or so and have not had any problems, I hope you get it taken care of.

I'm with you sarge. Had one of the first and no problems. Mine has been underwater many times with no problems. HH:minelab:

One thing I learned MDing is that things go in streaks (no pun intended, maybe) ie random is lumpy. Of the tens of thousands of CTXs sold only a small percentage have issues. You have much too small of a sample to determine an overall failure rate. Its easy for me to say, mine works fine and I have several backup machines I can use. Still be brave and get it fixed. And thanks for sharing!

I had a watch maker who did some repairs to my somewhat pricy WATERPROOF watch recently tell me........there is no such thing as WATERPROOF. ANYONE using a water machine, especially around salt water needs to know the clock is ticking and just accept it as part of the hobby. We especially get the mumbles with machines having the price tag the CTX does...... but mass production has its draw backs. I always look on the bright side....... at least i water hunt and can replace or pay for my hobby.

Dew

I'm all in agreement that we need to keep on keeping on, it's just frustrating when it seems to keep raining on your parade. The law of averages would appear to certainly be on my side given that I've had to have one CTX replaced, a WM10 replaced and now a screen replaced on a machine that I've owned for 5 months. What else could go wrong? Probably not the best question to ask because it's one where the answer is never good.

I think ML's technology is head and shoulders above everyone else and I think that if you truly take the time to learn the CTX you will have the best all around detector available. Hopefully my bad run of luck is over and I can finally get on a good pattern of machine reliability. I just got the 17" coil yesterday and I took it to the beach this morning. If there was ever a coil designed to own the beach it's the 17. I left my pro-swing at home to see and feel the difference between the 11 and it. Needless to say I will bring the pro-swing out on Thursday when I get a chance to go out again.

mascard1 said:
I have two 3030's and sent both in for screen lines..one under warranty...one not under warranty.Took for ever get fixed(Think it cost 200.00 and something to get fixed).
I have one of the two with lines again....just going to use in the water....had one leak...sent that in to get fixed too.........I pretty much use my E-trac on land! My Buddy has had a 3030 for about 6 months...Just got lines in the screen!

You had two machines that developed screen problems? Maybe it could have something to do with the area where you are hunting. Is it possible that there is some type of electrical interference going on? Two new CTX 3030 with the same problem. What did Mine-lab have to say about that? Please let us know. Keep the CTX, they are the best on the market, change your hunting grounds.

Jim

Also wondering --

Any chance you are storing it in a place of temperature extremes? Like maybe the trunk of a car or something like that?

I'm not BLAMING you, just trying to see if there is a potential "cause" that you might be able to resolve if you can find a common denominator between the two failures...

Steve

Never owned a 30/30. Hunt with someone here on the Gulf, his is about 5 yrs old, give or take. Now he's down for the count again (2nd time) in 3 years. Leaks. Don't know the details, but had to hunt around to find a repair shop. This man in just 3 conversations, couple years ago taught me more about wade hunting, then I picked up on my own in 2 years of bumbling around. Every time he breaks down though, I mention, maybe he should have bought a Pulse Induction. Jokingly of course.
Dancer