Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Luck of the Irish -- Finally

Atlas

Well I've logged many hours with the CTX and finally go that first silver (coin) on St. Patrick's Day.

The silver came after the first good find which was a 1907 Indian.

Now I was working the tree belt-sidewalk strip in front of an empty house lot. When I got there the signs were evident that I was not the first to detect the strip but figured the CTX with the 6" coil might pull something. I hate to say it but the earlier hunter had not filled in holes very well and I had to patch things up as I went. Early into the hunt it became evident that the previous hunter had been using a lot of disc cause I was digging foil and aluminum (see second photo). From that photo you can see I dig a lot of trash but don't want to leave any gold and the trash may be masking something so I dig it. I even started to find some pennies and a few other coins -- they may have been discing out zincs also. After a while I got a 12-35/36 and about 3" down out comes the Indian. Still running ground coin and Auto sens which seems to work best in my area with strong ground mineralization. I think Auto +3 ran as high as 10-12. I've switched to smooth on the target signal and I like that setting. Seems to give the signal more character and jump out from the falses more.

Well I finished that strip and went to another down the block in front of a large Victorian house. Switched to the 11" coil to cover more ground and got a 12-42ish two way signal in ground coin with combine and smooth. switched to my TTF program to check and it rang up strong two way but not four so I dug it. from about 4" down out pops the 41-S merc (see first photo). I think the funny signal may have been due to the coin being on its side or something. I rechecked the hole and there was no iron in it so kind of a funny signal for a shallow target.

Coin photo also shows a turn of the century Chinese coin and some wheats from another site and a "whatchamacallit" which were thinking is some kind of sewing implement. Any help would be appreciated.

So when it rains it pours I guess never figured I'd get an indian and merc on the same hunt but then again why not. I know many others have had good days like that.

HH

Congrats on the first CTX silver. Those Chinese cash coins are neat too.

I've found a couple of those Chinese coins. Does any one know how to date them?

Simpsonslammer said:

Tell them they are pretty and you want to take them out to dinner. :rofl:

GateKeeper said:
Simpsonslammer said:

Tell them they are pretty and you want to take them out to dinner. :rofl:

Now that was just simply BAD! Like 'Knock Knock, Who is there?" BAD!!! :nopity:

That's affirmative on the fishing pole eyelet thanks ctxelent! I was thrown cause it is mashed flat.

For Simpsonslamer the real way to date Chinese coins is to check this link: http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#kuang hsu