Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

M4T and Silver Today

hunter_46356

I've been using TTF and have had decent luck in a Pounded Park this year. I've always wanted to try Multi Conductive and four tone, so today I gave it a shot. I think it may have a place in the many different ways you can program the Etrac and different conditions I hunt. My 13" Ultimate is giving me outstanding depth so instead of running deep on, fast off I switched it around. Ran deep off, fast on. My thought was this should enhance the Ultimates already great separation abilities with speeding up recovery between targets. I like the way this worked. Got a great one way high tone with with a choppy but high tone at 90. Some 10-45s, 11-47s mixed with a few 1-40's and some high FE's but the CO's stayed bouncing from 44 to 47. Depth meter was pegged. Figured I had a good coin with the usual rusty nail or two. Popped the plug and dug to about eight inches. One swipe of the X1 told me there was something good down there and It was in the side of the hole at 7". Picked away and saw the edge my 41st career silver. 1942 Washington. Oh and the rusty nail was there too in the bottom of the hole no more than a couple inches away. Only hunted for an hour, the humidity was crazy thick round here. Anyone else out there use Four Tone Multi? Would love to hear your set ups, comments and suggestions.

Nice one !

Nice hunk of silver! Good job!
The way you described the IDs is what i've been finding in that field too, but more iffy'er with more 1-30's to 40's the deeper the target.

You're right about the humidity yesterday and where i was on the other side of that field near the woods, swarms of mosquitoes too.
Didn't find squat yesterday, just a bunch of deep corroded iron all of which gave decent to great 2-ways, 2-ways that were keepers in previous detecting sessions there.

Only thing i can figure is that the recent rain deluge's had caused extremely damp soil approaching mud even down to 12" might of had something to do with all that iron falsing.
After an hour and a half, sweat soaked t-shirt and multiple mosquito bites, i had enough and called it quits for the day. Wasn't the first time i left that field empty handed and probably not the last.

I agree with the moisture having something to do with the deep signals including the rusty nails.. In fact I'm almost certain you're right. I got to believe the added moisture gives you that two way on the rustu's when if it was dry it would not. But Iffy signals are hard to walk from when you do finally dig one and find a good target. I've been running sensitivity manual and pretty high. As high I I can and keep the thing relatively quiet. In checking that signal I did switch to Auto and got a good one way but it was still there, Back to manual and Quick Mask and TTF from M4T and it was still there. That's what I like about the Trac. when you get your programs set up it only take a few seconds to toggle thru them to ck and usually confirm a target. Sure I still dig the rusty nails but a lot less than I use to. I've found a third of my all time silver this year and am digging deeper silver than ever before.
I know how people feel about air test and I agree they are not the end all solution. I do think they can give some indication of how things will work in the field.... sometimes. I air tested several rusty nails from the bottom of my junk bucket still covered in mud since everything it it was water soaked. Now keep in mind I had to drop sens since this was done in my garage to deal with EMI. There was a noticeable difference in using Multi CO compared to 4TC. In both cases, same nails, same distance (very close to the coil) the Etrac squeaked out less of a hightone in 4T than it did in Multi. Why I haven't a clue but it did. Same sensitivity settings, same program, same EMI same nails. The detection of the nails was less noticeable in 4TC. Just food for thought and maybe others can experiment in the field with 4TC and see if it works any different than Multi CO for them.

Great pictures and job of "tweaking" your machine to gain some silver!

NebTrac

Sorry. Big mistake on my part. The settings were 4TC (Four Tone Conductive). Thanks for asking.

This was the first time I've tried 4TC. I've been using Multi-CO and TTF depending on site conditions. I just wanted to see what, if any, the difference was from multi and four tone. I guess my thought was it may be simpler like TTF and may help speed up the processor since your only using four tones instead of however many is processed in Multi. Could be completely wrong. Not saying it's any better and I should have checked the target in Multi as well to compare results. I'm still in the learning process and by no means think I've found something no one else has thought of. Guess it's all part of me getting to know my detector. I've got to be right at a hundred hour running. Just because I got lucky doesn't mean it's gonna be my go to. Next time out going to run 4TF and see what it sounds like. I have to admit it would be hard to go against the successful resulst you've had Goes4ever. Finding very little if any information out there about anyone using 4TC says something too. Must not be too many people that feel there is any benefit. I think knowing all my detectors capabilities will maybe make me better understand them. Meant respectfully. Hunter.

Goes4ever said:
I never seen a reason to not use multi tone instead of four tones, what would be the benefit?

Having only about 5 hrs on the E=Trac I probaualy should not even get in this but I cannot help myself. I have been using a CTX for about 9 months now and really like it and have done well considering my locations and time spent. I bought the E-Trac as a backup but because of elbow problems me and the Etac will have to part ways after only a few hrs of use.

Back to the subject at hand. I run combined on the ctx and although I have the first three bins set up different the last break point is the same CO 37 as the E-Trac which works out for me. Co targets of 42 to 44 co located with trash will often be pulled down to CO 37 but once located can be coaxed into a higher number.

Most of my time is spent and directed to hunting silver coins and I realize that I will omit some silver hunting this way but my locations at this time don't warrant digging lower COs. and I don't hunt for jewelry with the CTX. Have another machine for that.
Giving the same pattern as someone would run using multi co I fell like I can cover a little more ground by listing for that one high tone to stop me and make me investigate using tone,numbers and repeatability to make a dig decision.
I have used multi some on my ctx and will continue to do so at times. At some point it may become my go to option but I really sort of doubt it at this time.

As a coin/silver hunter I don't see 4TF as much use unless I am hunting a real old site that has not seen much if any use in the last 60 years and I want to dig most everything above iron anyway. In newer sites searching for silver a person would spend a lot of time looking at the screen and investigating targets unless you use a lot of disc.

Just my early morning thoughts that are subject to change.
FO

I've never even given a thought to using One Tone. Maybe in a truly trashless area it may have something to offer but not sure I'll ever experience a place like that. After my last post I've spent over six hours comparing Multi to Four tone conductive on a lot of targets. I'm convinced there is no advantage to four over Multi. Goes4ever I will say you told me so. Running a very open screen I got the depth I wanted in Multi. Whether it was the Etrac processing or using the Ultimate coil. that's what was important due to the conditions of the sites. My point was never to question which is better and still don't know for sure if using four as opposed to multi has any effect on processing speed.
Even did some work with TTF compared to 4TF. Pull tabs, pop tops alum slaw and coins all sound the same in both settings. I'm beginning to wonder why Minelab even included four tones as a setting option.