Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manticore vs Legend

Let me explain why I said "none"..........as an example the explorer, explorer 2, explorer se, etrac, ctx.
Each one of these models was bought out to supercede the previous at much higher prices and promising more to find more. In reality, and i've owned many minelabs, the old explorer is still a match for the etrac on most targets you will swing your coil across, we've done many tests like this out in the field (where it matters) by comparing older models to new ones and not just with minelab detectors. The results are usually predictable.......the newest latest greatest models don't do much more than the previous best and this has become more apparent with the later tech machines.I think manufacturers have hit a wall as far as real innovation goes so they have to dress each new model up in new clothes, wrapped over fundamentally the same tech. So out comes the manticore which promises much.........let's see minelab do a real world test on real world targets for potential buyers showing them how this new model will find more than say the etrac, of course they won't because they would never sell one.🤣

I think you sell the newer detectors short. My original explorer xs can't touch the recovery speed and target handling of the 800. Nor could it go gold nugget detecting. Nor would i take it shallow water hunting where there was a possibility it could get soaked. AND . . . . the weight. There is the weight problem. How much does that Explorer II weigh? The CTX 3030? The Etrac? Oh, and wireless headphones that allow me to hunt in the sage brush and woods without snagging. Surely you've had your wired headphones yanked off the ole noggin while detecting thru the woods? Yep. I thought so. Very annoying.

Ah, iron audio - wonderful thing to prevent audio overload to the brain when hunting in the iron. You can hear and know what's under the coil by listening to the iron and still pick out higher conductors using the incredible recovery speed to sort thru the old carpet of nails sites. The new detectors have amazing abilities to adjust audio frequency and loudness and to do it with different segments of the ferrous and conductivity scale. Did you know that Minelab is advertising a hundred points of ferrous ID on the Manticore which allows those interested in relic hunting to sort way down in the iron range? That's amazing. Add to that 100 points of conductive ID. We will see how she does once in the field.

This ability to sort with audio and target ID greatly extends the period of time folks can stay head down working these tough sites. So do the lighter units. (i'm assuming you've swung a Deus or Deus 2). Longer period in the field hunting. More finds. And being able to adjust the audio frequency and loudness of different segments of the target ID scale lets me step into the old parks that are filled with conductive trash and look for targets that might be good that have been walked over the top of for the last 50 years.

Don't forget being able to change detecting frequencies to hunt in areas that may have massive EMI - Find a frequency outside of the interference and start hunting. That's better than calling it a day and heading home. Better than carrying 2 or 3 detectors along as well. Huge benefit.

So many features, yet for me, the biggest advance is that the newer detectors are much better at unmasking targets in the trash. Finding those keepers that have been missed by previous detectors because they couldn't be seen by the previous tech. I'm seeing results that are similar by users of Deus 1 & 2's, Legends and so forth. These detectors have features that IF USED INTELLIGENTLY, make detecting time more productive.

I've listed LOTS of significant improvements and I'm disappointed you don't think any of them make a 'real worlds' difference? Perhaps they just needed to be pointed out. ??? Regardless, I am going to say I'm grateful to have these 'features' available and will continue on my way and wish you the very best in your pursuits.

Also, I don't wish to sell anybody on any particular detector(s), merely to point out the view of detectors from where I'm looking. I think it's pretty good.

Keep a positive attitude when out hunting - and I look forward to seeing posts from all of you in "Today's Finds".

UtahRich -

I think you sell the newer detectors short. My original explorer xs can't touch the recovery speed and target handling of the 800. Nor could it go gold nugget detecting. Nor would i take it shallow water hunting where there was a possibility it could get soaked. AND . . . . the weight. There is the weight problem. How much does that Explorer II weigh? The CTX 3030? The Etrac? Oh, and wireless headphones that allow me to hunt in the sage brush and woods without snagging. Surely you've had your wired headphones yanked off the ole noggin while detecting thru the woods? Yep. I thought so. Very annoying.

Ah, iron audio - wonderful thing to prevent audio overload to the brain when hunting in the iron. You can hear and know what's under the coil by listening to the iron and still pick out higher conductors using the incredible recovery speed to sort thru the old carpet of nails sites. The new detectors have amazing abilities to adjust audio frequency and loudness and to do it with different segments of the ferrous and conductivity scale. Did you know that Minelab is advertising a hundred points of ferrous ID on the Manticore which allows those interested in relic hunting to sort way down in the iron range? That's amazing. Add to that 100 points of conductive ID. We will see how she does once in the field.

This ability to sort with audio and target ID greatly extends the period of time folks can stay head down working these tough sites. So do the lighter units. (i'm assuming you've swung a Deus or Deus 2). Longer period in the field hunting. More finds. And being able to adjust the audio frequency and loudness of different segments of the target ID scale lets me step into the old parks that are filled with conductive trash and look for targets that might be good that have been walked over the top of for the last 50 years.

Don't forget being able to change detecting frequencies to hunt in areas that may have massive EMI - Find a frequency outside of the interference and start hunting. That's better than calling it a day and heading home. Better than carrying 2 or 3 detectors along as well. Huge benefit.

So many features, yet for me, the biggest advance is that the newer detectors are much better at unmasking targets in the trash. Finding those keepers that have been missed by previous detectors because they couldn't be seen by the previous tech. I'm seeing results that are similar by users of Deus 1 & 2's, Legends and so forth. These detectors have features that IF USED INTELLIGENTLY, make detecting time more productive.

I've listed LOTS of significant improvements and I'm disappointed you don't think any of them make a 'real worlds' difference? Perhaps they just needed to be pointed out. ??? Regardless, I am going to say I'm grateful to have these 'features' available and will continue on my way and wish you the very best in your pursuits.

Also, I don't wish to sell anybody on any particular detector(s), merely to point out the view of detectors from where I'm looking. I think it's pretty good.

Keep a positive attitude when out hunting - and I look forward to seeing posts from all of you in "Today's Finds".

UtahRich -
Phenomenal write up! All excellent points and view 👍

UtahRich -
You've convinced me.......I'm putting in an order for a manticore.🤣

Hey nauti, if we had to back up 25 years in technology for some crazy reason and use detectors from 1997, what 2 detectors would you choose for the hunting you like to do?

Back in '97' I was sporting a CZ-6a and pretty much hunting the yards of old homes and a few public areas like old parks and schools. Going back to old detectors, I'd swap that out for a Sovereign and add an Excalibur so I could shallow water hunt too.

Lots of possibilities

You?

Hey nauti, if we had to back up 25 years in technology for some crazy reason and use detectors from 1997, what 2 detectors would you choose for the hunting you like to do?

Back in '97' I was sporting a CZ-6a and pretty much hunting the yards of old homes and a few public areas like old parks and schools. Going back to old detectors, I'd swap that out for a Sovereign and add an Excalibur so I could shallow water hunt too.

Lots of possibilities

You?
I still use a sovereign on the beach so that would be my choice for beach work although i also use a pi.
For inland work i would try and get my hands on another Nautilus DMC2B.....what a machine that was,found me tons of stuff.
I still own an old c scope 1220xd which is a non motion machine but still has its place,awesome around stubble and areas that you cant really swing your detector.
Never tried a cz but always wanted to,still a good machine that you can have great fun with even today

No Significant impact in find rates? Your results differ from mine. A lot.

However, you make a very true and powerful point - Use what works. And I'll add, Be SMART in changes to what you use. Whatever you decide to use, there is still WORK involved.

Best of luck in the field.

Rich -
They say you find the most with what detector you learn and use the most.
There is alot of truth though to the marketing aspect of things.
Would you drop > $1000 on a detector they advertise “ just as good as the one you have “
Or “ better than the one you have “ ?
The only way people would buy a new detector is either, they don’t have one, the one they have is broke, or one is advertised as “better”
They have to keep sale’s going somehow . Just like there are those people who have a car payed off and as long as it works and drives fine they will just keep
driving it, maintaining and repairing occasionally.
Then others who every year or every two, three years trade and upgrade to the latest model with latest and greatest features. Cell phones same thing.
With the world economy the way it is nowadays though its a tougher sell. Unless you have some extra money burning a hole in your pocket more are going to hold onto what they have if it works good enough.
The inflated prices don’t help.
For example i bought a excalliber II new for $1250 now the same exact detector with no improvements they are asking $1600 on sale. ML makes a great product i just think the high premium price they are asking should be more reasonable. But just like Nike or Apple etc they get a following and they rely on those to pay whatever they ask.

They say you find the most with what detector you learn and use the most.
There is alot of truth though to the marketing aspect of things.
Would you drop > $1000 on a detector they advertise “ just as good as the one you have “
Or “ better than the one you have “ ?

The only way people would buy a new detector is either, they don’t have one, the one they have is broke, or one is advertised as “better”
They have to keep sale’s going somehow . Just like there are those people who have a car payed off and as long as it works and drives fine they will just keep
driving it, maintaining and repairing occasionally.
Then others who every year or every two, three years trade and upgrade to the latest model with latest and greatest features. Cell phones same thing.
With the world economy the way it is nowadays though its a tougher sell. Unless you have some extra money burning a hole in your pocket more are going to hold onto what they have if it works good enough.
The inflated prices don’t help.
For example i bought a excalibur II new for $1250 now the same exact detector with no improvements they are asking $1600 on sale. ML makes a great product i just think the high premium price they are asking should be more reasonable. But just like Nike or Apple etc they get a following and they rely on those to pay whatever they ask.

Some real truth to that. If a detector sticks with me, i generally get to know it very well - all of the good and bad. Surely the manufacturers are aware of those pro's and con's and can work on improving their next Generation of a detector if they want to. Whether the next model is a successful progression not comes back to ME, the user / customer.

I read about inflated prices and I ask myself where? The excalibur II has been out for a very long time. I bought one way back in like 2008 or 9. Price you are talking about sounds right. That's like 14-15 years ago. And they now cost $1600? I look around and can point at a lot of other things that have increased a lot more than this. And the cost of shipping! Yikes. As for cost of living increases, just for example, my wife and I are looking at buying a truck. o_O You've seen the price of housing? Enough said.

Also Digdog, look at some of the great deals out there. My 800 was less than 2/3's the price i paid for my etrac when they first came out. Above i listed some of the new features seen on most of the machines like the 800. I'm getting way more features for my money now. Check out the Deus 2. $1599 retail. Lots of features. Even more money. Along comes Legend, designed and built to take on the equinox for about 2/3 of the equinox price. It's selling like hot cakes. Guys are loving it. That's great. Maybe Minelab is taking notice of possible equinox sales lost to Nokta. Maybe not.

I never bought the CTX3030 though many touted it was even better than the etrac. It was above my budget at that time so i skipped it. Minelab didn't get my money, and i didn't get their CTX 3030. They sold lots of the 3030's, so they probably never missed me. That's ok. I loved my etrac. Like you said, it worked good enough. (actually it worked great) I try to make it up by being a great detectorist. Know my detector better, use better skills, hunt better locations.

This is where I fall right in line with you and Nauti in using the best equipment I can AND know how to use it. There will always be those latest greatest items and they might be out of my reach OR maybe i don't think they are really needed for what i do. So i skip them.

So, here's to skipping items that are too expensive or maybe just not necessary or maybe we just like using an old comfortable favorite rather than running out and buying something shiny and new. Cheers.

rich -

Comparing a Legend to the Manticore, is like comparing a lemon to a gold ring!
One is not even released yet, and the other has been plagued with multiple issues since its release.
One is unknown, and the other has undergone something like 30 different changes via numerous firmware updates, since it was released by the manufacturer.
One is unknown, and the other has undergone a major speaker defect.
One is unknown, and the other company has mentioned yet ANOTHER future firmware update to be released in the near future.
I dont know any better way, to compare the two!
Its like comparing a lemon to a gold ring!

One is not even released yet, and the other has been plagued with multiple issues since its release.
One is unknown, and the other has undergone something like 30 different changes via numerous firmware updates, since it was released by the manufacturer.
One is unknown, and the other company has mentioned yet ANOTHER future firmware update to be released in the near future.
Oh boy… i have explained this numerous times that i am not comparing the legend to the manticore per say.
Trying to get opinions if someone has the legend is it worth getting the manticore for the price they are asking.
I was asking people who have a legend.
Not you!
Dude…. Are you even capable

Oh boy… i have explained this numerous times that i am not comparing the legend to the manticore per say.
Trying to get opinions if someone has the legend is it worth getting the manticore for the price they are asking.
I was asking people who have a legend.
Not you!
Dude…. Are you even capable

Is everything ok with you?
This thread is called "Manticore vs Legend".
My comment is about comparing an unknown and yet to be released product (Manticore), to a detector that has been plagued with issues, multiple firmware updates, and a defective speaker (Legend).
Your taking my comment personally, yet my comment is not geared toward you at all!
In fact, no offense, but I usually skip right over your comments without even reading them, as they seldom make any sense!
Sorry if you are easily offended.
Happy hunting!

Hmmm, that comparison could be a little over the top. The manticore isn't even released yet and I would like to say that most of the changes to the legend were adding more features to the machine. The speaker problem was nothing compared to a machine leaking. Which by the way the machine that has the leaking problem has had update's as well. Getting some defective speakers compared to a unit leaking... hopefully the manticore will not have the same problem.
Since the manticore isn't released yet I'll just say I loved hunting with it's predecessor and found more with it than any machine I've ever used. Now, after saying that I'll say the Legend has replaced it and is a very capable machine. So after using both those machines with over three years on one and close to eight months on the other I would have a hard time using a lemon to a gold ring as a comparison between the legend and manticore.
I expect the manticore will be a very good machine. I've been waiting for a machine for years that will have the etrac/ctx capabilities in a lighter unit. The 2-d screen is ok but I'm actually disappointed there's not a ferrous number on the screen. Perhaps they might be able to update it and add that feature. The cursor won't replace a number at least for me. That ferrous number gave a lot of tells in trash or treasure to dig or leave in the ground.
What I know now. The Legend is a very good machine. The Manticore... expecting a very good machine as well. How good? Only time will tell.
HH to all!!

Hmmm, that comparison could be a little over the top. The manticore isn't even released yet and I would like to say that most of the changes to the legend were adding more features to the machine. The speaker problem was nothing compared to a machine leaking. Which by the way the machine that has the leaking problem has had update's as well. Getting some defective speakers compared to a unit leaking... hopefully the manticore will not have the same problem.
Since the manticore isn't released yet I'll just say I loved hunting with it's predecessor and found more with it than any machine I've ever used. Now, after saying that I'll say the Legend has replaced it and is a very capable machine. So after using both those machines with over three years on one and close to eight months on the other I would have a hard time using a lemon to a gold ring as a comparison between the legend and manticore.
I expect the manticore will be a very good machine. I've been waiting for a machine for years that will have the etrac/ctx capabilities in a lighter unit. The 2-d screen is ok but I'm actually disappointed there's not a ferrous number on the screen. Perhaps they might be able to update it and add that feature. The cursor won't replace a number at least for me. That ferrous number gave a lot of tells in trash or treasure to dig or leave in the ground.
What I know now. The Legend is a very good machine. The Manticore... expecting a very good machine as well. How good? Only time will tell.
HH to all!!
Well said, don’t forget about price.
For over $1000 more now, $530 vs $1600 it best perform 3x better. Or close to 2x better than its predecessor at $899 now.It has a high bar to uphold now as if it doesn’t people are going to start saying I paid ? more for this?
Time will tell.

Is everything ok with you?
This thread is called "Manticore vs Legend".
My comment is about comparing an unknown and yet to be released product (Manticore), to a detector that has been plagued with issues, multiple firmware updates, and a defective speaker (Legend).
Your taking my comment personally, yet my comment is not geared toward you at all!
In fact, no offense, but I usually skip right over your comments without even reading them, as they seldom make any sense!
Sorry if you are easily offended.
Happy hunting!
Actually no,i had covid really bad and the illness and medication’s really had my head screwed up no joke. Thanks for your concern though

Blimey,sorry to hear that,we're you not vaxxed at the time?
Vaxxed and boosted. on meds at home
They think i probably had another infection at same time as covid .
Wife is a nurse who takes care of covid patients you don’t go to the hospital unless you are out of options

I've had my 800 for 4 1/2 years now. Love it. Great machine. Ran an Etrac for years before that and an Explorer for years before that (back to 2000). Ran other detectors for 24 years before that. I have a D2, 9" coil. Very nice machine. Has its' own very positive aspects.

Manticore is replacing the Etrac (FBS technology - 2D screen) - Having a Ferrous AND Conductive reading is a game changer. So is Iron Audio. Manticore is lighter than the old Etrac. Sorts / separates targets better. Has an improved SMF system - Multi IQ+. Polyphonic audio. Will show multiple targets on the 2D screen. Is water resistant. Wireless headphones. Etc. Etc. Basically the same price as my Etrac a long time ago, but better. At least I think so.

As many have pointed out - there are many other detectors out there that we can use, like an equinox or Nokta's Legend or Garrett's AT Pro/Max or even beep and digs like the old Tesoro's. We all have our budgets. Price may dictate what we are able to buy. Many have brand preferences where they've become accustomed to the interfaces, styles and feel of a given manufactures products. Moving to another manufacture can feel like stepping into a foreign country where you don't know the language and the food menu is very different. No worries there. Nice to have folks with different perspectives on things.

One thing i miss about the etrac with the equinox is the 2D screen. I always knew if i was over a bottle cap. If I dug a bottle cap it was because i was clearing it out in search of another target. With the ability to have deep, accurate target ID, combined with the ferrous / conductive 2D screen, I could find targets left behind. The new Manticore is offering a much improved version of that. I like that.

I understand why some won't be giving the manticore a second look, but for me, with the experience i have with Explorers, Etracs and Equinoxs, the Manticore is a "don't miss this".

That said - I hope that all of you have awesome success with whatever detector you have in hand and look forward to seeing your posts in TODAY'S FINDS.

Rich -
Rich,
I too miss a lot of what I had with my Etrac hunting with my Legend…I do enjoy wireless tech, and the weight difference between the two though…After reading your thead, you convinced me to go with a Manitore…I have had, and still have a few ML machines as I live close to the beach and multi freq was much easier to run…I’ve always wanted a light weight version of my Etrac, and ML might just have given me this with some improvements…Thanks for your thread…Jim