Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manual misprint?

Gemini,

He may be missing the point that there are modules that interchange on the back of the detector to change the function/interface. So to lawsonland there is no way to make a headphone jack waterproof to accept a variety of headphone plugs on various headphone brands. The waterproof headphone's plug mates to a waterproof jack.

HH
BB

BarnacleBill said:
Gemini,

He may be missing the point that there are modules that interchange on the back of the detector to change the function/interface. So to lawsonland there is no way to make a headphone jack waterproof to accept a variety of headphone plugs on various headphone brands. The waterproof headphone's plug mates to a waterproof jack.

HH
BB
Exactly.

There are several different options regarding headphones.

1. The module that attaches to the back of the machine is there to allow you to use any headphones with a 1/4 plug. And this would not be waterproof. And you would be teathered to your machine via the headphone cord.

2. There is the wireless module. Which allows you to use the Minelab headphones, or any headphones plugged into the wireless module. You can carry the wireless module in your shirt pocket or, clip it anywhere high. This module, nor the headphones are waterproof, but if you keep them high, you should be able to avoid getting them wet. The advantage is your metal detector is now waterproof, and you are not attached to it in anyway.

3. Optional accessory. Waterproof headphones. These attach to the CTX3030 via a waterproof connection. Your machine and headphones are now waterproof, but you are attached to the detector via a cord.

The advantage of the WIRED non-waterproof module that attaches to your detector is it allows you to plug your headphones directly into the detector if the WIRELESS MODULE's battery goes dead.

Doc

What confuses many (me included) is the instruction manual shows the 1/4" headphone adaptor submerged but it is well documented in the manual that it is not waterproof.

Larry (IL) said:
What confuses many (me included) is the instruction manual shows the 1/4" headphone adaptor submerged but it is well documented in the manual that it is not waterproof.

I can see how that might be confusing.

Let me explain. When you remove the 1/4 headphone adapter, it exposes the waterproof connector, so you can attach the optional waterproof headphones. However, you would not want this waterproof plug exposed to the water should the waterproof headphones not be attached to it, it would allow water to enter the small female pins where the waterproof headphone plugs into.

So the 1/4 inch headphone adapter serves to allow you to use 1/4 headphones, when not in the water, But when the detector is in the water, and you are using your WIRELESS module and headphones, it actually serves the purpose of covering up, sealing, and protecting the WATERPROOF connector.

So on the backside of the 1/4 adapter, is a male counterpart with a seal that plugs into the female connector that is for the optional waterproof headphones.

So. #1. Out of the water, you can use 1/4 headphones plugged into the detector via the adapter. 2. In the water, you CAN NOT use the 1/4 inch plug for headphones, but the adapter then functions as a waterproof seal for the waterproof headpones port on the detector, when not in use.

Clear as mud?

Doc

I understand now Doc, thanks. The "not waterproof 1/4" module" becomes waterproof when the 1/4" plug is inserted.

Larry (IL) said:
I understand now Doc, thanks. The "not waterproof 1/4 module" becomes waterproof when the 1/4" plug is inserted.

AH - NO!

The 1/4 inch plug in the adapter module is NEVER WATERPROOF. It makes no difference whether you have a 1/4 inch headphone plugged into it or not, IT IS NOT WATERPROOF!

On the front of the module is a 1/4 inch plug, NOT WATERPROOF! On the back of the module is a plug that covers and seals the connector port for WATERPROOF headphones. This protects this port from water when you DO NOT have waterproof headphones connected.

In any case, the 1/4 inch female receptacle on the 1/4 inch headphone adapter is NEVER WATERPROOF.

Doc

I have to say that could come back and bite you in the butt.
Most people buying this are going to get into waves. Protecting that module is going to be a pain.
In the summer no one wears waders they go into the Ocean in shorts.
How is everyone going to protect this module?

I'm sure it will click when I get my unit. I understand waterproofing the other port when using the wireless module. Is water allowed to enter the 1/4" jack but goes no further?

That is where the waterproof headphones will come in handy. I'm getting them for the occasional water hunt.

Doc-----It seems like a lot of area on the detector to keep from leaking---three different places (when used under water without the waterproof h.p.'s)-----(1) a gasket seal for the h.p. module---(2) a waterproof plug for the standard (land) h.p.'s--- (3) a gasket seal for the battery compartment.----If water should get thru either the waterproof standard h.p. plug or the h.p. module gasket---that water can enter right into the waterproof h.p. receptacle located under the h.p. module (which has no protective waterproof plug--unless the waterproof h.p. jack are in use).---Am I understanding this right?------I hope these are excellent/durable seals & waterproof plugs as they will have to withstand a lot of use in removal & re-installing.-----Does the warranty cover water damage as well for the full three years?-------I'm in no way trying to be negative as I believe this is going to be an excellent detector.-----We are all just trying to learn about the CTX (including the before mentioned questions).----This new Forum is a great learning tool---we appreciate this Forum & you guys trying to help us understand/learn the CTX.----------Del----------OH MAN---I just seen these last posts on this thread!----Let me (us) digest this a little---I (think) I understand the waterproof plug now. :tongue:------STILL request the other questions answered. ;)