Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

manually Ground Balance, then auto??

jas415

Okay after two 3 hour hunts I figured out I may need to ground balance, however it is working pretty good. Lots of coins, silver and gold, and junk! So, after using the CTX for almost 6 years I just plain forgot about ground balancing!

So, what should the routine be - turn it on, find clean ground and manually gb, then switch to auto, or just turn it on and turn on 'auto'? I sort of figure it is like the F75 to a degree, manually gb then do the quick grab when you think it needs a tuneup, so my inclination is to manually gb and put in auto.

Thanks

Page 40 and 41 go over Ground Balancing.. There are 3 different ways.
If you use auto tracking I don’t believe you need to balance first although it wouldn’t hurt..
With auto tracking on it should balance itself within a few swings.

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-1%20Inst.%20Manual,%20EQUINOX%20600%20800%20EN.pdf

What I'm trying to figure out is why "0" is recommended for park and field modes, instead of "tracking." For some reason, auto-tracking ground balance is ONLY used as a default in the gold mode; I can't figure out why it wouldn't be the default in ALL modes, as I would have intuitively expected. Is there a negative, of some sort, to running auto-tracking ground balance, such that it's somehow "better" to use "manual, 0" when hunting in a park or yard?

Steve

From the manual:

The default Ground Balance setting of 0 is
recommended for Park, Field and Beach Modes
because these locations typically have less
mineralisation than goldfields.

However, if the ground is generating many noise signals (and/
or the Sensitivity level is set very low), then using Auto Ground
Balance is recommended.
If the Auto Ground Balance process does not greatly reduce
ground noise (due to highly mineralised ground or high salt
levels), then repeat the Auto Ground Balance process by
sweeping the coil from side-to-side, rather than the standard
up-and-down motion

I just put my X-Terra into Tracking and the machine does it.
I plan on doing the same with the Equinox

Mine was really chirpy, not terrible or unuseable, but not the 'quiet' it was at 15 sense, so I manually GB-ed it after about 6 hours of use and it helped it to quieten down. Today I will do it again on a clean spot and see if it improves at all, or no change. Trying to fugure out what changes effect noise, depth, etc..
I hunt almost always on a demolition, with emi present. Found out the Eq will interfere with a CTX quite a bit, and a Fisher F5 impacts the Eq. Auto Noise cancel does not help with the F5, so I will try to remember to do the manual freq routine.