Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memorable Day with Etrac

RLOH

I have been detecting for over 26 years and today, I had one of my best days variety wise. I started the day off with a deep wheatie and my second coin was a real beauty, a clear date 1928 Standing Liberty quarter. Two more wheats before a Buffalo nickel. Ten feet away, a nice mercury dime surrounded by trash. It was so trashy that I could not use the pinpoint button. I hunted this spot for another hour and found 5 more wheaties. Here is my new detecting strategy. I am rehunting the trashiest places where I have had success in the past. I am taking small areas and barely creeping the Etrac, listening for chirps and squeaks. Many of the coins I am finding can only be dug by probing with the tip of the coil. I know many people think the Etrac is too slow to hunt in trash, slow is the key. I can pick out a coin in heavy trash by going super slow. Many people find this type of detecting too boring and to be honest, I cannot do it for more than a couple of hours.

I was heading home and I passed a small town square where everybody and their brother has hunted for years. I have only hunted it once in the last year and a half. Again, I headed for a section that I have found seated coins, but that was in the first year or two when the Explorer first came out. I had hunted for about a half hour and had not found one coin. I got a 11-12 grunt that showed deep so I was hoping for at least a buffalo. No buffalo, but a real clean 1902 V nickel. That coin made my day and I got rejuvenated again. Two passes later deep zinc signal and was hoping for an Indian and sure enough 1890 crisp Indian(most around here are unreadable) Less than a foot away another similar signal and sure enough another clean Indian. Called it a day and told myself that the Etrac is still one of, if not the best coin detector made!

I have been detecting for over 26 years and today, I had one of my best days variety wise. I started the day off with a deep wheatie and my second coin was a real beauty, a clear date 1928 Standing Liberty quarter. Two more wheats before a Buffalo nickel. Ten feet away, a nice mercury dime surrounded by trash. It was so trashy that I could not use the pinpoint button. I hunted this spot for another hour and found 5 more wheaties. Here is my new detecting strategy. I am rehunting the trashiest places where I have had success in the past. I am taking small areas and barely creeping the Etrac, listening for chirps and squeaks. Many of the coins I am finding can only be dug by probing with the tip of the coil. I know many people think the Etrac is too slow to hunt in trash, slow is the key. I can pick out a coin in heavy trash by going super slow. Many people find this type of detecting too boring and to be honest, I cannot do it for more than a couple of hours.

I was heading home and I passed a small town square where everybody and their brother has hunted for years. I have only hunted it once in the last year and a half. Again, I headed for a section that I have found seated coins, but that was in the first year or two when the Explorer first came out. I had hunted for about a half hour and had not found one coin. I got a 11-12 grunt that showed deep so I was hoping for at least a buffalo. No buffalo, but a real clean 1902 V nickel. That coin made my day and I got rejuvenated again. Two passes later deep zinc signal and was hoping for an Indian and sure enough 1890 crisp Indian(most around here are unreadable) Less than a foot away another similar signal and sure enough another clean Indian. Called it a day and told myself that the Etrac is still one of, if not the best coin detector made!
Great job RL on the coin finds. The weather has been just terrific here in NE Ohio the last couple of weeks.. It's all going to change at the end of the week. Get out while we can.

Mark ( ohio )

RKOH ,,

Nice finds. Nice story.
I still have an old Explorer xs.
How would it compare to the Etrac today.
I understand there are so many more settings.
I'm curious how I would set it to do like your doing as well.
Because of my bad hearing. I just never truly connected with it.
Though I'm willing to give it another try hoping to accomplish what you've been able to do.

I have a ctx and the Etrac. I find myself wanting to use it more than the ctx. I guess I’m more comfortable with the etrac. Still getting use to the ctx. The etrac will still hunt with the best of them.

Also pretty much committed to having a E-Trac for the rest of my days of hunting. Being they no longer make the E-Trac and getting one repaired is getting very iffy. I now have 3 used working E-Trac's. I also have a couple of brothers that detect and they are welcome use one anytime.
I can also say I was just about at the point of giving up on the E-Trac, my good finds were very few and far between. So some how I hooked up with Elmy that just posted above me. Elmy started tutoring me on just about everything on the E-Trac and how to use it and set it up. It was hard for me to give up some of my bad habits, but one at a time I gave them up and never looked back.
One of the biggest tips Elmy ever gave me is his Reverse Quick Mask pattern. It works and saves a lot of digging.
Ron in WV