Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memories of Maui.. Part one

Micheal_R

Staff member
We left Vancouver on the 6:45 pm flight... and arrived in Kapului, Maui at 9:45 local time. {In actual fact that would extrapolate to 12:45 B.C. time}.The first thing that we noticed was that wonderful salt air smell. The memories it brought back........ I was immediately in heaven. But we then had to organize everyone.

By the time we got our luggage, got everyone sorted out, drove to the 24 hour Safeway and bought some groceries, drove to the condo in Papakea, it was 1:00 Am local time. We crashed in bed. The condo is right on the beach so we went to sleep with the sounds of the ocean waves crashing on shore. I was awake at 5:00 A.M. The thought of that ocean that close was too much to take. I got up immediately, and went for a walk on the beach. Well, the walk turned into a swim pretty darn fast..... and then that turned into a snorkel almost immediately.I spent over an hour frolicking...... until my son came down for a walk/snorkel. He started out for a walk and then like me, turned it into a snorkel. We were like kids in a candy store. It should be illegal for two men to have that much fun.

After the snorkel, the rest of the travelers were up so we settled in for breakfast and the days plans. We had to go out to the site of the wedding and set things up there. As always, that took longer that we anticipated, so pretty much the whole day was taken up. We then returned to the condo for dinner and a relax. However, the ocean was beckoning so I could not resist [I can resist everything but temptation :): ] Out for a night snorkel. That was my first time to swim with the turtle. [attachment 199217 2011-05-15-green-sea-turtle-Makena.jpg] It was a magical experience to be back in the ocean again. We went to bed around10:00 and anticipated the next morning.

Up early for the trip to Hana. If you have not ever been there, it is not to be missed. The road is not for the faint of heart. There are 620 corners [and I mean CORNERS!!!.. sharp, unpredictable, and tight], and 51 one lane bridges. [attachment 199218 2011-05-14-Road-to-Hana.jpg]If some is coming towards you, either wait or back up.. So a 39 mile trip is about 2 hours in driving time. When you come out to the small town of Hana, a trip to the General store is obligatory. Funky,old fashioned and the best of all things imaginable in a small store..

Back into the cars for the trip to the Haleakala National park Kipahulu entrance. From there we went for a 1 1/2 mile hike up a gorgeous trail, past the infinity pool.[attachment 199220 2011-05-14-DeniseTammyShilohLourdes. Infinity-pool-hana1.jpg]..... to the Banyan tree, A magnificent display of a tree. Unique and awesome. [attachment 199219 May6-2011-Banyan-tree-David-Hana.jpg] Alice was having a bit of trouble, but she toughed it out like the trooper she is. The best part of the hike however was the bamboo forest. It is hard to describe it.... and the picture hardly does it justice. [attachment 199221 2011-05-14-Davide-Denise.-bamboo-forest-Hana.jpg] They are 2-3 inches in diametre, and about 6-8 inches apart in space. But the best part of it was when the wind blew. You were in the middle of this giant clack-clack sound. Picture bamboo wind chimes and multiply it by a factor or 100 or more. That was the most amazing part of that whole hike and it still gives me goose bumps to to remember it.

We drove back, tired and happy, and again, had a night snorkel.

More later

Fair winds

Micheal

It was a tough road for the driver to enjoy. The passengers had some beautiful country to gaze over. The turns will just wear you out after time and when you get to Hana you gotta do it all over again to get back.

The road to Hana is a real highway compared to the one I told you about though. We stopped at a Tropical Garden when driving to Hana and it was just beautiful there. I want to go back

Thats how I like to vacation. If I wanted to sleep I'd stay home. Got to try and cram as much in as you can. Beautiful area for sure. The pool below the waterfall looks like one heck of a drop. Wonder whats in that bottom pool for coins etc? Always fun to go to new places. Look forward to the rest of your pictures.

George-CT

Some beautiful pictures Mikie!!

My wife was there in the early sixties and has wanted to return since.

I've never been, but always thought one day I might----------

Thanks for taking us along Friend!!

CJ

PS With Royal's help you have really stirred something in me and I hope I can one day make the trip.

n/t

n/t

One thing I did notice, ... the cows are all miniature.. at least by our standards.. they are about 2/3 the size of North American cattle

Fair winds

Micheal

n/t

Mikie,

Let me know if you do manage your "winter retreat" Friend!!

I'm told it takes "Deep Pockets" to swing the expence!

CJ

That looks like a dream vacation, thanks for sharing!

n/t

n/t