Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memories of Maui.. part three..

Micheal_R

Staff member
Days four and Five were pretty much preoccupied with getting ready for the wedding and then going to the wedding. Now I realize that other peoples' wedding can be pretty much of a bore... but I will say this.... It was the absolute best site I have ever seen for a wedding. We went to a place called the Spirit of Aloha. It is a 12 acre parcel of land on the very beginning of the Hana Highway. It overlooks the ocean with a vista that would make any heart leap. I have not the words to describe it.. but simply awesome does not even come close. There was a small chapel [I would guess that is what it was] right next to a 300 foot cliff. A Hawaiian minister officiated... A beautiful combination of spirituality and love.. However, enough of that.!! :):[attachment 199598 David-Denise-wedding.jpg]

During those days four and five, we still managed to find time to get into the water for some snorkeling. ; Both in the morning and evening. Every time was beautiful.. the vibrant colours, the sea life.. we had a ball.

Day six; Early morning snorkel; :): What else?? However, the ladies [Alice and her sister] wanted to go to Front street on Lahaina for a look see and maybe some shopping. Nothing else would do but to go there. I will admit that front street is a pretty unusual and exotic experience. There are shops of most every description selling pretty much anything that you could imagine. There is a lot of duplication what with multiple jewelry stores and clothing shops. I hit the jewelry stores for a look while the ladies hit some of the clothing stores. There really were some unique pieces of jewelry... but very, very pricey. This is, after all, tourists central on Maui.... and the prices reflect that. But it was still an enjoyable time.

From there we went to Makawao.... not as touristy; but even more fun. There is about a three block main street that is nothing but 'turn of the century' old shops. There is a large variety from a unique general store to a very high end jewelers. Alice asked about a very nice bracelet in a case and how much was it. "That one?? $68,000.00 " was the reply. Not today!!!! :D:

Now since Makawao was close to the road to Haleakala, nothing would do but for us to go up there. Haleakala is an old volcano [Royal already knows this :):]. It is a national park encompassing a part of Hana all the way to the volcano crater. The road is very curvy and twisty. However, it is all two lane to the top so the drive is , compared to Hana, easy. You start off by the ocean at sea level and then over the next 26-28 miles , rise to an altitude of 10,000 feet. You go through lush forest to pastured land, through arid scrub type land to the most austere, harsh environment that could be imagined. As best as we could see, the only plant to grow at the top was the Ahinahina, also called the silver sword.[attachment 199600 silversword.jpg]

These plants are found only in this place and are so sensitive that even stepping on the ground where the roots grow can kill them. There are signs everywhere telling people to please stay on the designated areas and NOT to tread where the roots might be. In spite of all the notices, we saw one lady who just could not resist going off the path to 'get a better picture'. Some people just do not get it.!! :shrug:[attachment 199601 silversword-sign.jpg]

When you arrive at the top, there are two parking lots. The top one is at 10,000 feet. Then there is a short walk to the observation post which shows an altitude of 10,023 feet.[attachment 199603 haleakalasummit2.jpg]

From this building, there in an unobstructed view of the whole caldera. There are two lava cones, a large field of scree and an observatory. The description on the plaques say that the view from this observatory is the fourth best on earth. The clarity of the air from here would certainly seem to verify this.[attachment 199602 observatory.jpg]

[attachment 199599 haleakallavacone.jpg]

We stayed until sunset and watched the sun set... awe inspiring.

More later

Fair winds

Micheal

page is dying.

I am still enjoying your post Mike :D Maui is sure a beautiful island and lots to see and do. What a place for a wedding. I remember flying over the Caldera, very exciting.

I sure hope to get back one day.

Thanks for taking the time to post buddy

Mikie your photos and descriptions have taken me for a sweet ride Friend!

It's great that things went so well for you and your family on this special occasion.

Thanks again for sharing,

CJ

n/t

n/t

Pretty bride your son married. Sounds like you guys really had a great time at the wedding and the diving. Sure the place for diving. I really like that last shot looking out over the valley and the lava cones. The more mountains the better for my taste.... Who would think your weight would harm the plants roots in that type of soil. Beautiful scenery there for sure. Hope to get there also if time permits. You sure crammed a lot into one week.

Thanks for uploads.

George-CT

Everything is absolutely beautiful. But it must be overwhelming to have so much to see and do knowing that you have limited time there.

color me green bud but i'm sure glad you had the experience:thumbup:
You done a good job with the camera as well!

Did anyone say anything to the lady for walking on the plant roots? How big was the Ahinahina plant? Did any of those old shops have any treasure items for sale? When you snorkel, how close can you get to the fish? Last, is it possible that the volcano will ever erupt again? Could you tell that you were at 10,000 feet, breathing problems? Sorry for all the questions, but this is interesting to me. Thanks for sharing. Kelley (Texas) :)

I am a little slow in reading your story because, sadly, I seldom visit this Forum anymore. The first three parts of your story was both interesting and enjoyable reading and makes me end up asking too many questions, sorry! Thanks for taking the time to post this story, I really like it. Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

n/t

After flying to Hawaii we went to Kona, Maui and Kauai and found Kauai the most beautiful but it is a smaller island. A month there and it would probably be getting pretty small. Kona was just too big, I drove 220 miles one day, and it is a long way to everywhere. Maui was about right, still beautiful and lots to do.

Everything is soooo expensive though. I don't know how the natives afford to eat but believe me, they do eat plenty.

A person did say something to the lady..^Me!!!

But the gas prices... the same per liter that we pay up here..

The food... well some was higher... but much was close to our prices too.