Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mercury Dimes VS Roosevelt Dimes?

Same here and I'm in Canada ! I found 4 or 5 mercs so far and my first rosie last year.

Another possibility if finding Mercs is you are actually hunting an area popular pre 1946 but not so popular (or abandoned) just after the war. We all love silver, agreed. But older silver just has that aura about it.

pockets were once hand sewn, then were machine sewn... Maybe? ...I too have noticed the ratio...

I have wondered about this too.
Mercury dimes were minted for 29 years while Roosevelt dimes (silver) were minted for 18 years.
Over all there were probably far more Mercury dimes then Roosevelt dimes in circulation.
That and the fact that the Roosevelt's were most likely not quite as deep like others mentioned and easier to find years ago.
I have been searching around a school that was built in 1958 and have found 6 rose's, but only two Mercury dimes there.
Obviously the age of the school is the reason for this I guess.

Last edited:
Mercury Dimes were still in circulation when they stopped minting the silver Roosevelt in 1964 and people began removing all silver from circulation. When you do the math this makes a total of 48 years that Mercury Dimes could be lost verses 18 years for the silver Roosevelt.

There is still some silver floating around. Some shows up in coin counting machines. My son pulled a rosie dime out of change. ai recently got sa 39 Washington quarter in change. Grandpa passes away and the family spends his coins collection.

Can I get exact GPS coordinates? Im thinking with a little “research” I can confirm or dispel this theory (asking for a friend). 😝

I have found a lot more Mercury dimes Than Roosevelt silver dimes by about 3 to 1 ?
What's up with that?
Is it that Mercury dimes been around longer so they have go lost in larger numbers?
I agree and I hope for the Merc's too.
It just so happens that I found a grassy curb strip where they tore down the house and decided to detect it. Wouldn't you know I find three Roosevelt dimes and two wheat cents?
Then I thought of your post - no brag just happy.
Tony

Attachments

• Apr 8th 2021 Three Roosey dimes.jpg
    Apr 8th 2021 Three Roosey dimes.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 99
That is a good observation.
I secretly wondered if I was cursed on Rosie's
Back in the 50's when my Grandparents had to get change from the pocket or purse out came a little coin purse.
Merc's were very common then too.
Maybe because of the depression-habits were developed and Change was More valuable.
If that was the norm then I wonder how anyone lost any coins?

If you add up the total mercury dimes minted from 1916 tob1945 and compare that total to the silver Rosie's minted from 1946 to 1963 that would explain the 3 to 1 ratio.
Yeah, in 1964 they switched to making clad coins that come out in 1965. Too bad for us but you made a good point
Tony

If you add up the total mercury dimes minted from 1916 tob1945 and compare that total to the silver Rosie's minted from 1946 to 1963 that would explain the 3 to 1 ratio.
Exactly minted longer..
Mark

Interestingly, the majority of 1964 Philadelphia dated silver Roosevelt dimes were minted in 1965 while almost two-thirds of silver Roosevelt dimes dated 1964-D were minted in 1965 and 1966 with the date frozen at 1964. I clearly remember those days of coin shortages when investors grabbed bags of new coinage as an investment. The mints in an attempt to disswade hoarding of coins froze the date of 1964 on the coinage. Clad Roosevelt's dated 1965 and 1966 were minted at a later date. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel