Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Meter trouble with vintage White's 6000/di series 3

Stosh00

I have a vintage White's 6000/di series 3 metal detector. It's been working fine for years. Last year we replaced the switch that changes the mode on the handle. After the switch was replaced it worked great. This year the meter needle does not move in the GEB Discriminate mode. It does not identify the target...penny, dime, quarter ect. The needle should lock on to the target until you release it using the mode change switch. The detector will work in the GEB Disc. mode but the meter does not. We have checked all the meter connection and everything looks good. Any suggestions or advise to solve this issue? Thanks.

I don't know but seems if the meter works in all but the GEB Disc. maybe the GEB switch/knob or wiring to/from at that position?
I had a 6000/Di Pro and it was my 1st bought brand new in the box detector after a handful of used low tech stuff. Was a huge jump for me at the time. Found lots of good stuff with it - no longer have it and sure miss the meter on the thing.

I don't know but seems if the meter works in all but the GEB Disc. maybe the GEB switch/knob or wiring to/from at that position?
I had a 6000/Di Pro and it was my 1st bought brand new in the box detector after a handful of used low tech stuff. Was a huge jump for me at the time. Found lots of good stuff with it - no longer have it and sure miss the meter on the thing.
Thanks for the advise. That thought did cross my mind but I was a little hesitant about opening up the detector. I am going order another trigger switch and see if that is the problem. If that doesn't work I will take your advice. I love this detector and would hate to part with it. Thanks again for your thoughts and I do appreciate it.

The 6000/di ser. 3 is 30-plus years old. But you already knew that. The problem with the electronics (older detectors) is that deteriorate, such as: Hot spots, power surges, cracks on the components and even worn out switches. Resistors are notorious for this too. Solder connections become loose and you get intermittent responses in detecting. Other issues might leave you dead in the water. Detectors built nowadays use surface mounted components which are smaller in size, stable and light weight. Put to put simply, a better design.

If you are a diy and you like to tinker and/or you know someone that can repair electronics, I would definitely check into it. Save your favorite detector. It's a keeper, no doubt!!

Good luck and happy hunting, TC-NM

The 6000/di ser. 3 is 30-plus years old. But you already knew that. The problem with the electronics (older detectors) is that deteriorate, such as: Hot spots, power surges, cracks on the components and even worn out switches. Resistors are notorious for this too. Solder connections become loose and you get intermittent responses in detecting. Other issues might leave you dead in the water. Detectors built nowadays use surface mounted components which are smaller in size, stable and light weight. Put to put simply, a better design.

If you are a diy and you like to tinker and/or you know someone that can repair electronics, I would definitely check into it. Save your favorite detector. It's a keeper, no doubt!!

Don't forget capacitors go bad too.

Oh I knew that, just forgot (y):rolleyes:

I was hoping to avoid opening the box if possible thinking it may just be soldering connection at the meter or trigger switch. All wires at the meter and switch are solid. I was thinking someone had this problem and knew specifically what it was. I guess it could be any number of things. I have even an older 6000 that has worked flawlessly for almost 40 years but doesn't had the meter id. I love these detectors. You have given me some great advise and I do appreciate it. Thanks very much and I will post if and when it is repaired. Stosh00

Good to know.

Stosh00
Forgot something. Some of the wires inside MAY have breaks in the wires that you can't see. They are covered by the plastic sheathing.

I have a vintage White's 6000/di series 3 metal detector. It's been working fine for years. Last year we replaced the switch that changes the mode on the handle. After the switch was replaced it worked great. This year the meter needle does not move in the GEB Discriminate mode. It does not identify the target...penny, dime, quarter ect. The needle should lock on to the target until you release it using the mode change switch. The detector will work in the GEB Disc. mode but the meter does not. We have checked all the meter connection and everything looks good. Any suggestions or advise to solve this issue? Thanks.
IF all leads fail send to East Texas Detectors 1495 fm 49 Gilmer.Texas.75644
1-903734-7773. :wave:

The problem is the mode switch. It's a big 4-pole rotary/slide switch that eventually wears out, exactly as you are experiencing. Unfortunately it is long ago obsolete and there are no replacements and nothing remotely similar. It is one of the reasons White's ceased making the XL-Pro around 2006, no more switches. Even if you could find a replacement it is a monstrous job to get the old one out, and you will more than likely ruin the board trying. The alternative is to find a replacement PCB out of a donor detector. You could try opening the box and spraying some contact cleaner into the switch housing but this is usually a very short-lived solution.

The problem is the mode switch. It's a big 4-pole rotary/slide switch that eventually wears out, exactly as you are experiencing. Unfortunately it is long ago obsolete and there are no replacements and nothing remotely similar. It is one of the reasons White's ceased making the XL-Pro around 2006, no more switches. Even if you could find a replacement it is a monstrous job to get the old one out, and you will more than likely ruin the board trying. The alternative is to find a replacement PCB out of a donor detector. You could try opening the box and spraying some contact cleaner into the switch housing but this is usually a very short-lived solution.
Thank you Carl. That is the kind of answer I've been looking for, a specific problem. I bought another trigger switch and I'm going to replace it hoping that is the problem. But it sounds like it is more serious. I have a couple of older 6000/di machines that I don't use much anymore and I will use one of those switches as a donor if necessary . If I do go that route, I may ask someone who knows electronics to replace it. Thank you so much for your very helpful information and I will post if and when I do fix the problem. Stosh00

Thank you Carl. That is the kind of answer I've been looking for, a specific problem. I bought another trigger switch and I'm going to replace it hoping that is the problem. But it sounds like it is more serious. I have a couple of older 6000/di machines that I don't use much anymore and I will use one of those switches as a donor if necessary . If I do go that route, I may ask someone who knows electronics to replace it. Thank you so much for your very helpful information and I will post if and when I do fix the problem. Stosh00
Also, something that might effect your diagnosis is that the detector DOES work in the GEB Disc. mode but the meter DOES NOT respond when hitting a target.

The rotary switch has one pole that controls the mode selection and another pole that controls the meter. So, yes, it's not only possible but likely that one will fail while the other still works.

Thank you Carl. You have been very helpful. I will replace the trigger switch, which I have already purchased, and see if that is the problem. If not I will see what I can do about the rotary switch. Either that or break down and buy a new detector. I love this detector and hope it can be fixed. Many thanks Carl for your info. Stosh00

Many thanks to Carl-NC for his correct diagnosis of my detector. After taking the cover off and opening the the box, I sprayed the rotary mode switch with electrical cleaner spray and put the detector back together. Turned it on and the meter worked again...for now. Carl had mentioned that this may just be a temporary fix but at least I know now that it is the rotary switch not the meter. Thanks Carl for all your help. Stosh00

Welcome to the Finds forums Stosh00 and hats off for Carl's input. Carl is more often 100% right than 1% wrong IMHO. :rofl: Since you are new on here, you might not know Carl was the engineering brains for Whites before going to Garretts where I lost contact with him. He may still be there for all I know. An update from Carl would be welcome :super: On top of knowing a bit about detectors, he is a nice guy too. I was a field tester on the V series for him and met him down in Texas when the Vision detector was introduced to the public which was later upgraded and known as the mighty V series.

Welcome to the Finds forums Stosh00 and hats off for Carl's input. Carl is more often 100% right than 1% wrong IMHO. :rofl: Since you are new on here, you might not know Carl was the engineering brains for Whites before going to Garretts where I lost contact with him. He may still be there for all I know. An update from Carl would be welcome :super: On top of knowing a bit about detectors, he is a nice guy too. I was a field tester on the V series for him and met him down in Texas when the Vision detector was introduced to the public which was later upgraded and known as the mighty V series.
Thank you Larry(IL). I have 3 white's detectors, 2 6000/di series 2 and 1 6000/di series 3 which I obtained from my brother. I have had the first 2 for about 40 years and have had little or no problems with them in that time. If there was a problem I could usually figure it out. The meter problem on the series 3 had stumped me and my brother in law who is a little better in understanding electronics than I. Carl's diagnosis was right on the money. My hope is that the switch just needed cleaning and not replacing. I wish I could give you more information on Carl but I've only known him from this forum. He seems like a great guy and is willing to share his knowledge with others to help them. I wish I knew him personally. Thanks Larry for the welcome and the info on Carl. Happy hunting!!! Stosh00