Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Americas Customer Care

I can't speak for any other shaft manufacturers, but I can say that in my case, I spent ALOT of time way back during the design stage of my lower rods, working and testing to get the width of the lower rod piece (and the washers) "just right," so that when tightened down to the point where the coil won't "flop," the coil ears are vertical -- and thus not "stressed." Yes, as jayhop noted, I could see how if a lower rod's washers (of ANY brand) are VERY worn, making the "width" of the plastic piece of the lower rod that fits between the coil ears smaller, then the tendency to crank down on the coil bolt more -- as the washers become thinner and thinner -- could eventually result in "bent-in" coil ears, and possible, eventual breakage. So, yes, inspecting your washers periodically is not a bad idea...BUT...

The bottom line here, which Minelab seemingly refuses to acknowledge or address, is that THEIR COIL EARS ARE MADE TOO THIN, AND TOO "BRITTLE." Let's face it, the only reason why the coil ears "bend inward" in the first place, when the coil bolt is tightened "too much," is because of how THIN the ears are. Anyone here who has used other coils in the past -- even most Minelab coils -- knows that these coil ears are thinner than most. The ears on most other coils are thicker -- and in some cases MUCH thicker, and thus breakage has not been an issue in the past. Anyone who has used, for instance, a Detech coil for an FBS machine, in the past, knows what a "beefy" coil ear looks like. I would be awfully surprised if anyone ever broke a Detech FBS coil ear. Bottom line, coil ear breakage over the past many years has been a relatively rare occurrence on most other machines, as compared to the relatively "frequent" issues with the Equinox's ears. I am actually shocked at some of the things I've heard that Minelab has said to customers, trying to "shift blame" to us Equinox users, including that our machines "are simply being used too much/too heavily."

I'm disappointed that Minelab has tried to place the blame on "customer usage," as opposed to simply acknowledging that in their attempts to make the machine as light as possible by using as little plastic as possible, their design included coil ears that are simply too thin/weak to hold up to the stresses that are sometimes placed on them. It would have been alot smarter for Minelab, in my opinion, to admit the issue early on, and simply adjust their injection mold that produces the "outer shells" of the coils (including the coil ears), instead of alienating customers by essentially telling us "it's our fault." Their failure to address this issue is going to become a much bigger deal, now that our machines are beginning to fall out of warranty (mine already has...)

Steve

I can't speak for any other shaft manufacturers, but I can say that in my case, I spent ALOT of time way back during the design stage of my lower rods, working and testing to get the width of the lower rod piece (and the washers) "just right," so that when tightened down to the point where the coil won't "flop," the coil ears are vertical -- and thus not "stressed." Yes, as jayhop noted, I could see how if a lower rod's washers (of ANY brand) are VERY worn, making the "width" of the plastic piece of the lower rod that fits between the coil ears smaller, then the tendency to crank down on the coil bolt more -- as the washers become thinner and thinner -- could eventually result in "bent-in" coil ears, and possible, eventual breakage. So, yes, inspecting your washers periodically is not a bad idea...BUT...

The bottom line here, which Minelab seemingly refuses to acknowledge or address, is that THEIR COIL EARS ARE MADE TOO THIN, AND TOO "BRITTLE." Let's face it, the only reason why the coil ears "bend inward" in the first place, when the coil bolt is tightened "too much," is because of how THIN the ears are. Anyone here who has used other coils in the past -- even most Minelab coils -- knows that these coil ears are thinner than most. The ears on most other coils are thicker -- and in some cases MUCH thicker, and thus breakage has not been an issue in the past. Anyone who has used, for instance, a Detech coil for an FBS machine, in the past, knows what a "beefy" coil ear looks like. I would be awfully surprised if anyone ever broke a Detech FBS coil ear. Bottom line, coil ear breakage over the past many years has been a relatively rare occurrence on most other machines, as compared to the relatively "frequent" issues with the Equinox's ears. I am actually shocked at some of the things I've heard that Minelab has said to customers, trying to "shift blame" to us Equinox users, including that our machines "are simply being used too much/too heavily."

I'm disappointed that Minelab has tried to place the blame on "customer usage," as opposed to simply acknowledging that in their attempts to make the machine as light as possible by using as little plastic as possible, their design included coil ears that are simply too thin/weak to hold up to the stresses that are sometimes placed on them. It would have been alot smarter for Minelab, in my opinion, to admit the issue early on, and simply adjust their injection mold that produces the "outer shells" of the coils (including the coil ears), instead of alienating customers by essentially telling us "it's our fault." Their failure to address this issue is going to become a much bigger deal, now that our machines are beginning to fall out of warranty (mine already has...)

Steve
I agree with you 100%.
I really hoping the new nokta makro simultaneous multi frequency machine will be as good as the equinox.
Minelab is like that old girlfriend that cheated on me. I know I need to leave her but she has a hold on .
It's time to let her go and start over. I hope to do that very soon.

From my view, Minelab has always had an overabundance of "arrogance," and "we know better what you need, than you do" type of attitude. BUT -- the one thing they've always had, is the PERFORMANCE, and so it's hard to toss their machines aside, despite some of these "arrogance" issues, because you'd be cutting off your nose, to spite your face, to some degree...settling for a lesser tool to do the job, in many cases. So, we all "put up with it," because of the superior performance. Minelab's physics/engineering department is TOP NOTCH in my books. The rest of their company, not so much...

I hear you, jayhop, on the Nokta/Makro thing. They are about the opposite of Minelab -- VERY attentive to customers, and customer needs/requests, with a good deal of humility, and a servant type of attitude. Impressive.

Bottom line is, If another company -- like Nokta/Makro -- can meet, or possibly even exceed, the overall ability of Minelab machines (particularly in turf/dirt settings where old/deep coins and such are the targets), then I expect that there will be a WHOLE LOT of folks who will be quite happy to move on, say "good riddance," and never look back. And if that exodus ever happens, Minelab will ONLY have themselves, and their arrogance, to blame...

Steve

Ditto, 100%

Sent an email 3 weeks ago. No reply.

I broke the ears on a 15" coil. My fault, tripped and fell, admitted it. Sent photos and asked if it could be repaired and ballpark how much it would cost.

Sent an email 3 weeks ago. No reply.

I broke the ears on a 15" coil. My fault, tripped and fell, admitted it. Sent photos and asked if it could be repaired and ballpark how much it would cost.
I had to keep calling until I got lucky and caught them when no one else was.
They never responded to my email or voice message until after I talked to them.
I hope things change but with all the build quality issues the equinox has I doubt it will be soon.

Steve
I agree also my coil is over 2 years old and has not broke but I'm very careful with mine but my Dads and some friends have broken theirs as if you look at the coil cross eyed it will snap!
Maybe that's the reason for they're $50.00 price increase ?
Mark

I finally broke my 11 inch coil Saturday.
I have been very careful, didn't think it was going to happen to me. 2 years and 4 months is what it lasted.
I emailed pictures of the broken ears and serial number to minelab Sunday.
I called twice yesterday. I had to leave a message because they had extended wait time due to high call volume.

I haven't received a reply to the email and my phone call hasn't been returned.

I've only had warranty repairs done by minelab twice in the past and both times I was really pleased with the service. But that was maybe 4 and 6 years ago.

It looks like things are a changing.
There's a repair kit for that on Treasure Net

There's a repair kit for that on Treasure Net
Thanks. I've seen those. From now until the warranty runs out I will carry my coil stiffener and some pull ties. I have a plan after that.

I drowned my 800 after 23 months, contacted Minelab/Detection center (via e-mail and web site) and I had a new pod in 1 week. This was 2 weeks ago (mid April 2021). Also, just bought a Steve's 2 piece carbon fiber shaft for the 800 - It's GREAT. He is happy to add threads to the end for a counter weight if desired, fyi.
I use my 15" coil in water and need better shaft then stock.

I drowned my 800 after 23 months, contacted Minelab/Detection center (via e-mail and web site) and I had a new pod in 1 week. This was 2 weeks ago (mid April 2021). Also, just bought a Steve's 2 piece carbon fiber shaft for the 800 - It's GREAT. He is happy to add threads to the end for a counter weight if desired, fyi.
I use my 15" coil in water and need better shaft then stock.
I use the 6" when water hunting just easier to swing under water I have not really submerged mine long under water but there is problems with them flooding!
Mark