Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

minelab coil covers & sand !!!!!

I know this has been ask & answered before, but how do ya'll keep the sand out of the coil cover.....I have an excal & like seeing the yellow rim around the coil....thought about putting hot glue around the rim of the cover ? any thoughts or suggestions that work would be appreciated....Thanks Tab.

Although this doesn’t prevent sand intrusion, the only method I use is to remove the coil cover and rinse the sand off.

Messy but I filled (1/2 way) my excalibur cover with a 2 part, 24 hour epoxy...then set the coil into it. It's messy but it works...

I spray the bottle of my coils with a truck bed liner spray. The heavy duty kind, not thin paint. Test spray it on a sheet of cardboard first, and run your detector over it to be sure it doesn’t have anything metallic in it. I give the bottoms of my coils 3 coats. None of the coatings have worn thru yet.
Ed
PS
Home Depot sells a bed liner spray called “Herculiner”, $11.99 a can.

I wear the heck out of a coil cover. So I use loctiite marine epoxy on the bottoms of the cover. I remove occasionally.....the Xcal isn’t as sensitive as some machines to black sand. Sealing it permanently would be a real bad idea for me.

I remove my coil covers and use Loctite marine epoxy on the bottom and sides. I put on a couple coats and use 2 packs of epoxy.

You can use black electrical tape go around edge covering gap quick and simple and it works its what I do.
Mark

Mkus said:
You can use black electrical tape go around edge covering gap quick and simple and it works its what I do.
Mark
Minelab sells a coil cover tape to seal covers on. I bought it and appears to be half inch wide white duct tape! Works well but over fifteen dollars.

I drilled a series of holes in the cover to allow water and sand to wash out, water is heavy, drill from the inside out to prevent burrs, works well.

Kraemer said:
Mkus said:
Mark
Minelab sells a coil cover tape to seal covers on. I bought it and appears to be half inch wide white duct tape! Works well but over fifteen dollars.
I use the electrical tape no problems works like a charm.

That’s really a good idea...drilling holes. Unless you do what Joe does....seal completely then the banging around will loosen most, wire tires won’t work. Option of letting it out seems best.....but I noticed on the CTX the cover tends to come away from the coil if water is allowed in. But at least u can change your cover when needed

I use bathroom caulking and seal the complete coil, looks good if done right and never have to pull the cover off again.

I don't find the sand to be a real problem. When I get home I wash the detector, pop the coil cover off and wash it thoroughly and snap it back in place. Cleaning the machine is just part of my routine when I get home from the beach.

GeorgeinSC said:
I don't find the sand to be a real problem. When I get home I wash the detector, pop the coil cover off and wash it thoroughly and snap it back in place. Cleaning the machine is just part of my routine when I get home from the beach.

Thanks George.....that's what I had been doing.....& probably go back to doing that.....I'm not to keen on the wire ties now...….Larry.

Ive stayed out of this thread as it truly puzzles me. I don't see what the problem is with making coil cleaning a part of the overall cleaning I give my machine at the end of each long hunt. Taking care of an expensive piece of gear isn't something I am looking to cut corners on.

Lexal clear silicone caulk works great and is removable,
Mark

Digger 45 said:
I use bathroom caulking and seal the complete coil, looks good if done right and never have to pull the cover off again.

Yep, straight up clear silicone calk for me. That way it can be removed if needed. I have one cover that is a little loose fitting so I put some in the coil cover as well and it works great.