Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Manticore

question.jpg

1665020141438.png

A lot of assumptions on my part, and you know what they say about assumptions.....

But...IF.... JayHop is refering to the live podcast from Myers Metal Detectors earler today,

and..IF.... JayHop is refering to the Equinox leak issues.....

Ms. Smikoski mentioned that the Equinox leakes were not associated with the charging point area.

That is really the only possible controversial thing that I heard, and I do plan on watching it a second time, just to be certain.

We all know that some of the Equinox models leaked, and I have indeed seen at least one photo (video as I recall) of cracks surrounding the charge point on a Equinox.

Another assumption here.....Perhaps Minelab believes that the Equinox leakes were assosiated with a different area of the control housing , and not actually leaking from the charge point area.

At any rate, its been said that the material used on the Manticore is different than the Nox, and supposively new and improved, so only time will tell how it hold up, and if it leaks or not.

I would certainly think, that Minlab learned a lesson on the Nox, and would make waterproofing a number one issue, not only on the Manticore, but with ALL new products going forward.

Time will tell.

Sorry for the way I handled posting on this subject.
The thing is that after I posted my message here, I got a message about a comment I made on YouTube about a certain video on YouTube. That's all I want to say about that.
Even though I think my comments were very accurate I thought it would be best if I deleted them from YouTube.
And I asked for my message to be removed from here.
I just should have worded my comments differently on YouTube and here.
It really bothers me when I here people say that a very small percentage of a certain metal detector leaks.
Bottom line is that there's probably only a small percentage of users that actually submerge their detector , and even a smaller percentage that submerge them for more than just a few seconds or so while wading.
Yes it may be a small percentage of the total number of units sold that have leaked.But, from everything I've seen it is a large percentage of units that have been used under water for an extended period of time that have leaked.
I know of two people that have had multiple units leak.

Ok, I'm done. Again, sorry that I commented on the video and that I posted here about the video.

Do a search for Manticore on YouTube.
I have deleted my comments.
There are so many videos about the machine so its kind of hard ? Your talking about the Equinox leaking not the Manticore.?
Mark

There are so many videos about the machine so its kind of hard ? Your talking about the Equinox leaking not the Manticore.?
Mark
Yes the Equinox.
There was a live stream yesterday about the Manticore.
I removed my comments there because of the way I worded the comments.
But I just checked and there are some comments there that are referring to the same statements I heard and didn't like.

Yes the Equinox.
There was a live stream yesterday about the Manticore.
I removed my comments there because of the way I worded the comments.
But I just checked and there are some comments there that are referring to the same statements I heard and didn't like.
It seems some leak and some may not or may later I hope they solved the problem with the new machine
Mark

It seems some leak and some may not or may later I hope they solved the problem with the new machine
Mark
I agree, some leak and some don't.
But IMO most that are used under water (not wading but under water) will eventually leak.
It's a fact that Minelab has admitted some leak. As their Representative said.
There is a big difference between " a small percentage of the total units sold " and the percentage of units that are actually used under water.
I would say, and just my opinion, is that the percentage of units that are actually submerged for an extended period of time would be close to or more than 90%.
Why do I say this? Because there are several reports of people having multiple units flood.
I've tested all my units in the bath tub but that's not the same as hunting where some amount of twisting is applied.
Again just my opinion but unless several well trusted YouTubers are fabricating stories its hard to draw a different conclusion. IMO

But but but it can't be, surely if this were real Minelab would know about it. And they don't because the Minelab representative said she had never heard of it leaking there.
(Being sarcastic for those that didn't know)

But but but it can't be, surely if this were real Minelab would know about it. And they don't because the Minelab representative said she had never heard of it leaking there.
(Being sarcastic for those that didn't know)
Looks like she had better open up her ears to what the customers are saying!

I had 4 units fail, first was a power button, second was a battery failure and 2 that leaked. The last pod they sent me hasn't leaked yet and I may never take it in the water again because the warranty has expired. I was never told where the problem was.

I had 4 units fail, first was a power button, second was a battery failure and 2 that leaked. The last pod they sent me hasn't leaked yet and I may never take it in the water again because the warranty has expired. I was never told where the problem was.
I guess they can't admit but so much. I'll put this in as gentle terms as I can.
Think about it: They have this machine advertised waterproof to 10 feet. THAT IS A BIG SELLING POINT.
I think my opinion that MOST units actually used under water for an extended period of time do leak is very possible. Again, not wading but actually submerged. There are too many reports and videos of individuals having multiple units leak.
So, this machine is not performing as expected in the waterproof department.
So, even though most people will never submerge their detector, they bought a detector that they were expecting to be waterproof to 10 feet.
So.................
It would be nice if we could trade in the Equinox 800 for maybe a credit on a machine that hopefully is actually waterproof.
Ok, I'm done

I dont want to raise your blood pressure, any higher than it already is, so I will not post a link to the video....
But there is a new video just released yesterday, where she wont say how many units were sold, but she does say that only .01% were returned due to leakage!

I dont want to raise your blood pressure, any higher than it already is, so I will not post a link to the video....
But there is a new video just released yesterday, where she wont say how many units were sold, but she does say that only .01% were returned due to leakage!
I saw the video Wednesday when that statement was made. That statement plus another is what reignited the subject. I just hate it when people don't get what they expect when they spend their money. Something should have been done to make this right but it never will. Taking the machines as a trade in on the Manticore would have made things right. I have 2 Equinox 800 that I will try to sell soon.
When I do sell them I'm definitely going to tell any potential buyers about the flooding problems and the coil ears breaking. So I'm definitely expecting to take a hit on the selling price.

I saw the video Wednesday when that statement was made. That statement plus another is what reignited the subject. I just hate it when people don't get what they expect when they spend their money. Something should have been done to make this right but it never will. Taking the machines as a trade in on the Manticore would have made things right. I have 2 Equinox 800 that I will try to sell soon.
When I do sell them I'm definitely going to tell any potential buyers about the flooding problems and the coil ears breaking. So I'm definitely expecting to take a hit on the selling price.
You're an honest man jayhop.

My two cents on leakage:
-The Minelab folks at their repair center in Pennsylvania said they were finding that many of the units that leaked were attached to aftermarket rods (read carbon fiber) and that the user over-torqued the screws causing the housing to crack allowing water in.

-Minelab replaced all the units that leaked, and did not try to blame it on the user

-My Excel leaked also and had to be rebuilt, at my own cost when Kelleyco was still a Minelab repair center (They were great BTW)

-I sold my 800 and 600 right before the warranty ran out and bought a new 800. Only lost about 200 bucks for a completely new machine while the old one had 100's of hours on it.

-I am glad to see they fixed the coil ears (I broke 3) and the cuffs (I broke 2) all covered by warranty

My deposit is in for the new one.

Also, as a side note- I bought 2 800's early on in 2018 by being on the list at one place, and looking online at another. I sold both of them for $400.00 over what I paid on a famous online site during the Summer of 2018 when everyone had to have it. The profit paid for my 3rd 800. I plan to do the same with the Manticore.

I guess they can't admit but so much. I'll put this in as gentle terms as I can.
Think about it: They have this machine advertised waterproof to 10 feet. THAT IS A BIG SELLING POINT.
I think my opinion that MOST units actually used under water for an extended period of time do leak is very possible. Again, not wading but actually submerged. There are too many reports and videos of individuals having multiple units leak.
So, this machine is not performing as expected in the waterproof department.
So, even though most people will never submerge their detector, they bought a detector that they were expecting to be waterproof to 10 feet.
So.................
It would be nice if we could trade in the Equinox 800 for maybe a credit on a machine that hopefully is actually waterproof.
Ok, I'm done
You can always get a legend for $400 less and they don’t leak. Put the $400 you saved towards the manticore
Just an idea

wanting to get a screen savor for the manacore. is it same size as eq800?