Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Wireless Headphone Sound Quality

AngelicStorm

I just got the CTX a couple of weeks ago and I am wondering how to get the sound quality of the wireless headphones up to a reasonable level of hearing without the "muffled" effect. I have only hooked them up one time and the quality was pretty terrible. I just keep telling myself that "there has to be a way to make this sound better or else they would not have bothered making it the start with." I had my threshold on a level of 5 which last night I figured out that affects my ability to find "whispers" in such a way that I would not be able to hear them at all. Knowing this, I set the threshold back up to 15 and maybe I should set it higher but trial and error will serve its purpose. Maybe me setting the threshold to 15 will fix the problem? What should I do?

The threshold should be at the lowest audible level. Otherwise weak signals will be below that level and you won't hear them.

As far as the quality? Mine sound exactly the same as the hard wired ones, although the quality is not as good as with my ProStar White's headphones.

My only minor complaint is that I get occasional interference from my cell phone.

My CTX threshold level is set to 24 for the wireless headphones. Wireless is all I have used with the CTX, except when waterhunting. I use SunRay ProGold headphones and adjust the threshold humm to what I need for the conditions, with the volume on the headphones. I have used the SunRays for several years, with all my Minelabs. Sound tones with the SunRays are very good and are perfect for me. I never used the factory supplied headphones so can't comment about the tones from them....HH

Neil in West Jersey said:
The threshold should be at the lowest audible level. Otherwise weak signals will be below that level and you won't hear them.

As far as the quality? Mine sound exactly the same as the hard wired ones, although the quality is not as good as with my ProStar White's headphones.

My only minor complaint is that I get occasional interference from my cell phone.

I have my threshold set at 15 and have switched it between 16-17 to make the humm more audible. When I did that in an iron infested area with recovery fast on, I noticed clipping on high pitched targets. Not sure if I was missing targets.

gordonquixote said:
My threshold is at 15.

To make pinpointing tolerable set your max volume lower than factory.

I set my max volume around 12 so that I can hear what's going on around me and still clearly hear the tones.

sparkster said:
Gray ghosts make the sound very nice.

Those are good from what I've seen.

C&RHunter said:
My CTX threshold level is set to 24 for the wireless headphones. Wireless is all I have used with the CTX, except when waterhunting. I use SunRay ProGold headphones and adjust the threshold humm to what I need for the conditions, with the volume on the headphones. I have used the SunRays for several years, with all my Minelabs. Sound tones with the SunRays are very good and are perfect for me. I never used the factory supplied headphones so can't comment about the tones from them....HH

What does setting the threshold at 24 achieve? When I set it between 16-17, I noticed clipping of high tones in an iron infested area with recovery fast on. Not sure if recovery fast had anything to do with it, but I figured recovery fast was best for that area since there are so many nails in the ground and there could be good targets in and around the nails. The clipping associated with the 16-17 threshold settings makes me unsure to set it any higher.

After wearing the factory wireless headphones for a while and playing with the sound settings, Theshold 15-17, Volume Gain 27, Max Volume 12. I find the audio to be more tolerable on the headphones. For the other issues. I'm not sure. lol

Dont know if I can help or not but I only use the earbuds with the wireless. Gain is 30, threshold is about 12-15 (according to background around me), and volume is again in the same range, 12-14. I find the quality is excellent but as my wife says I cant hear crap anyway! I hunt mainly house and business demolitions in the Houston area so usually there is a bit of vehicle noise going on around me. I have Grey Ghost and the Minelab headphones but rarely ever use them. The earbuds are so much more comfortable, easier to take one out for the pin pointer, etc. .

I have tried a pair of Black Widow headphones and that is what I think I'm ordering now.. I couldn't believe the difference they make.. The sound is sharper, crisper and much more clear... They also block out so much more of the surrounding noise also.. The fit on the head is much better than the stock ones, very comfortable....I haven't ever heard any that sound as good as they do.. Haven't tried the Grey Ghost ....
Sonny

The Threshold setting of 24 (1-50 range) allows me to adjust the headphone volume, with the volume controls on my headphones, to the desired loudness of the threshold for my hearing and the surrounding noise levels on any particular day. I don't have to adjust the CTX setting, I use the volume settings on the headphones.. Everyone's hearing is different, so use whatever works best for your hearing. Pages 23-24 in the CTX manual explain Gain (Range 1-30), Threshold (Range 1-50), and Volume Limit (Range 0-30), and Threshold Pitch (Range 1-30).

NOTE: Page 24 of CTX manual "A high Volume Limit will allow a greater difference between a small and large target. A low Volume Limit will reduce the volume difference between small and large targets."

Next time you try them make sure the headphones are plugged in all the way.. It takes a little extra pressure to get them in the last click.. If you leave them out one click you get the symtoms you describe...............wildherre

Never used the factory headphones because there not comfortable on my head. I use Sunray ProGold headphones with great success.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will use this information and do some field tests to see how the different volume settings work.

I ordered 2 pair of the Black Widow Headphones from Andrew at NED on Wednesday, received them on Friday then on Saturday I met up with one of my detecting friends and gave him his pair..

I have to say I have never bought anything that has made so much difference in performance...
Usually Nickels seem to be very elusive but yesterday with the first time out with the Widows I found 4 Nickels which 1 was a Buffalo, 3 different earrings one stamped sterling, and lastly about $3 in clad, which 1 was a really nice green Wheatie...
My buddy also found 4 Nickels and a 1958 Rosie and a couple of dollars in clad...Neither of us have ever found 4 Nickels in 1 day...
I have pounded this school for a couple of yrs and couldn't believe how much was still there.. ( I had hunted it with the CTX a couple of weeks ago )...
I can't speak for other after market headphones but I can say the Black Widows for me and my buddy are nothing short of amazing as for as comparison to the CTX stock Headphones...
If you like headphones that fit nice and comfortably snug, then you will be very happy with the Widows..
They do totally knock out the ambien sounds around you and the tonal quality is superior to anything I have ever used...
When you hit a good target the tone is much more clear and sharp, with increased target tone separation..
Using these headphones is like using another new machine...
This is only my opinion but I know for myself and my friend we could not be happier, I will never use any stock headphones in the future unless forced to..
HH, to you all...
Sonny