Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

minelabs bad decision on coils

jimmy clark

Just have to get this off my mind. in my opinion Minelab should have used a nine inch coil for a stock coil. Then have the eleven inch coil, and the six inch for the extras you could buy. Using coils as big as the eleven inch for stock don't make scense to me. By the way I just bought the nox 700.

Just have to get this off my mind. in my opinion Minelab should have used a nine inch coil for a stock coil. Then have the eleven inch coil, and the six inch for the extras you could buy. Using coils as big as the eleven inch for stock don't make scense to me. By the way I just bought the nox 700.
I agree with you on all points but you have to keep up with the Jones back in the 70s I was running a huge 10 inch coil when all the coils on factory machines came with a 7 1/2 to 8 inch coil . People would stare at me lol . sube

I have to agree. 9” coils are the best for my type of hunting. 11” can have way too much under the coil at once. Lots of masking going on. The 9” coil keeps me moving along at a slower speed, but at a more precise swing to be sure not to miss targets. That’s one reason I don’t have a Xterra pro yet . Minelab can’t tell me when the 7”x10” coil will be available. Smaller coils just work better for me . I am interested in everyone’s input on the subject.

For picking through rusty nail/trash hell sites what you want to ask Minelab to build you is a concentric, coplanar coil. That coil has a cone shaped detection field, it's like using a 3" coil with the depth of a 9" coil.

Not a theory, I built one of these coils for a Minelab Explorer. The first target I dug with it, textbook signal LOCKED Indian head penny. Dug a 6 inch diameter plug, at the bottom was the Indian head penny. It was what else was in that plug that was shocking, multiple pieces of trash. I have dug many a plug with 10-11 inch Minelab DD coils, never one like that filled with a bunch of trash.

So what's the catch? concentric coplanar coils are difficult to construct, not impossible but annoying. Second they gulp a larger cylinder of soil so soil mineralization is more of a problem vs DD coils which concentrate the transmit field more down the center of the coil. But for mild to moderate mineralized soil the concentric coplanar can be deadly in heavy iron/trash.

I couldn't agree more. I figure this is the Minelab strategy to sell more coils.

Agree 9” standard would have been better (for my taste) but our English friends would disagree as would the beachcombers.
It's all site specific as you state. So Charles why is it no one is making the old concentric coil? Of all the machines I have used ( since the double D was introduced) the stock coil is the most balanced in all around performance. I do love the small/large coil options. JMO

I haven't had a concentric coil in my arsenal now for a while, but if my old memory serves me correctly, DD coils are considerably better in higher mineralized ground. And they are pretty good at target separation. This thread, though, was started about coil size. Of the major detector players today, which ones have 9" as stock coils? Tesoro is gone! Deus?

9" in my opinion is just a compromise between a 11" and a 6" and will not do as well as what the 11" and 6" were designed to do. Depth and coverage with the 11" and heavy trash hunting with the 6". Hence, one could realistically argue that 3 coils are actually needed unless one is willing to sacrifice some amount of depth and some degree of target separation.

When I bought my Nox 900, the package included two coils, a 11" and 6". Not great strategy for selling more coils, but was a selling point for me to buy the 900 as those two coil sizes were near perfect for my type of hunting. On most of my sites I need all the depth I can get and some smaller size for sifting through trash.

jimmy, give the 700's stock coil a good try....I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck! HH jim tn

When I bought my 900 I was going to sell the 6" coil that came with it. I ended up putting it on my 600 and was surprised at the depth and stability of the coil. I can get right up close to trees and have pulled a few coins and a cheap ring with it. The 6" coil isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

The smaller the coil, the better for me. But then again I like looking for all those targets in between the junk with a small coil. One of my best finds ever was with a 5 inch coil right next to junk.
I agree that they should come out with a 9 inch as stock coil, then if you wanted a bigger coil you could get one.

For picking through rusty nail/trash hell sites what you want to ask Minelab to build you is a concentric, coplanar coil. That coil has a cone shaped detection field, it's like using a 3" coil with the depth of a 9" coil.

Not a theory, I built one of these coils for a Minelab Explorer. The first target I dug with it, textbook signal LOCKED Indian head penny. Dug a 6 inch diameter plug, at the bottom was the Indian head penny. It was what else was in that plug that was shocking, multiple pieces of trash. I have dug many a plug with 10-11 inch Minelab DD coils, never one like that filled with a bunch of trash.

So what's the catch? concentric coplanar coils are difficult to construct, not impossible but annoying. Second they gulp a larger cylinder of soil so soil mineralization is more of a problem vs DD coils which concentrate the transmit field more down the center of the coil. But for mild to moderate mineralized soil the concentric coplanar can be deadly in heavy iron/trash.
I'm not talking about a 9 inch concentric IM talking about a D.D. coil.

I wouldn't mind knowing how to build that coil for my oll XS.