Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mojave/Compadre

Oh OK. Well I still don't totally understand it.
Is it like the opposite of normal disc. Instead of what's to the left being disc out it's what's to the right?
Like set at zinc would allow everything below that in but disc out all above that?

yeah that's it :biggrin:

so I would have a window of detectability between iron and zinc for example obviously that can move with the knobs, simple really for them to do :biggrin:

they heard what I wanted with this detector hope they are still listing :biggrin: but really they seen that people wanted a better compadre and the mods were showing that so while it might look from the outside Tesoro are asleep I think they are wide awake.

but no reverse disc maybe its coming or someone show me how to mod that sucker :biggrin: compadre will do.

anyway they made a 12 kHz detector that looks nice has sens and can change coils and the slimline 7" mono & that's what people wanted.

AJ

Now can you use both together and set the disc to reject iron and the reverse to remove since and up to just beep on all in the middle?
That sounds sweet.

yeah so normal disc set at just below 5 cents and the reverse you can set at zinc or 1st disc at end of tab and reverse at just above zinc and hunt for just zinc list is endless and it wasn't my idea but its a great one.

or wind up the 1st disc past zinc and the other one to let everything through so you just are hunting silver & clad

like windscreen wipers one from one end the other from the other end set where you want to target a say 5 cent coin just block everything else out.

it would sell like hot cakes :wiggle:

AJ

I really wish Tesoro would bring back the Pantera, but in the micromax housing and with a 3 turn Manual GB adjustment. I know they did not sell well when they were in the metal box and the production run time was short lived. But times have changed, the trash has changed, and I think now that the tone-break feature and the notch accept/reject options would be better appreciated. Especially in a light detector with Outlaw/Vaquero depth and with Tesoro's current disc. Circuits. The Pantera with its notch accept feature, can be set up to run the way you are describing (the reverse disc thing), as Monte pointed out. Boy, wouldn't that be cool.

Yah... let's start a petition!

yep sounds good don't care how it happens as long as it happens sign me up count me in as 1 sold as long as its in the 2.2 lbs micro housing and I can disc out what ever I want too.

AJ

hihosilver said:
I really wish Tesoro would bring back the Pantera, but in the micromax housing and with a 3 turn Manual GB adjustment. I know they did not sell well when they were in the metal box and the production run time was short lived. But times have changed, the trash has changed, and I think now that the tone-break feature and the notch accept/reject options would be better appreciated. Especially in a light detector with Outlaw/Vaquero depth and with Tesoro's current disc. Circuits. The Pantera with its notch accept feature, can be set up to run the way you are describing (the reverse disc thing), as Monte pointed out. Boy, wouldn't that be cool.

Yah... let's start a petition!

Your right the pantera had a nice combination of features and if they brought out something similar in the micro max housing it would be a good seller.

hihosilver said:
I really wish Tesoro would bring back the Pantera, but in the micromax housing and with a 3 turn Manual GB adjustment.
I really enjoyed the Pantera, but it wouldn't fit in the [size=small]micro[/size]MAX housing, I don't think, but possibly use the Téjon package. That might allow a 10-turn rather than 3¾-turn GB pot.

hihosilver said:
I know they did not sell well when they were in the metal box and the production run time was short lived.
Only produced for 1 year and 7 months, but they were not in a metal box. They used the same under-rod plastic housing as the Lobo. I think part of their short production life [size=small](7/'90 to 2/'92)[/size] was due to a few factors, such as the fact the industry had somewhat peaked around '83-'86 and by '90 you started to see a decline in clubs and local dealer shops, and so many typical 'Hobbyists' were drawn to the simple 'turn-on-and-go' detectors that didn't require manual Ground Balancing. Also, that was at about the time we started to see more attention to detectors with Target ID displays and Tone ID and even some of those were starting to go to smaller packaging.

Evidence that more folks wanted 'turn-on-and-go' simplicity was the Golden Sabre II. That was nothing more than the Pantera circuitry in the same housing, weight and balance, but they eliminated the external GB and kept it an internally preset Ground Balance and separated the stacked Disc. & Notch. to be two separate controls. That's it. Basically a simplified [size=small](or easier-to-use)[/size] Pantera version, and the Golden Sabre II had a longer production life [size=small](7/'92 to 5/'99)[/size] of 6 years and 10 months.

hihosilver said:
But times have changed, the trash has changed, and I think now that the tone-break feature and the notch accept/reject options would be better appreciated.
I honestly believe the number of people who want a two-tone model like the Pantera is rather small, and mainly whose who had or have and use a similar Tesoro, such as the Royal Sabre, Golden Sabre Plus, Golden Sabre II or the Pantera. This design worked very well with the analog Tesoro circuitry to split the tones and with a single notching ability. Today, more people want to have multiple tones and to get the best performance from multi-notching, it is better accomplished with modern digitally designed circuitry.

Also, you are correct, especially for urban Coin Hunters, when you said "... times have changed, the trash has changed ..." because we see many more discarded pieces of trash that fall all across the non-ferrous conductivity range. The problem is that way too many hunks of junk mimic the conductivity of desired coins, and that is here in the USA and countries that use zinc, copper, brass, bronze, silver, etc. to make coins.

Other countries, such as Canada and many, many more, have coins made out of magnetic metals such as nickel, iron and steel which add to detection problems. Due to the coin's metal alloy, the targets can produce a more erratic signal. Models with visual Target ID show this with a response that doesn't lock on real tight, but instead is a bit 'bouncy.' Matching that behavior is the audio Tone ID which also makes it very difficult to 'notch' those targets and get reliable and consistent tone responses.

hihosilver said:
Especially in a light detector with Outlaw/Vaquero depth and with Tesoro's current disc. Circuits. The Pantera with its notch accept feature, can be set up to run the way you are describing (the reverse disc thing), as Monte pointed out. Boy, wouldn't that be cool.
Yes, the Pantera and similar performing Tesoro models can work pretty well, and if anyone has a good specimen and likes it they ought to hang onto it. I personally doubt that we will ever see a Pantera type unit with multiple notching design unless they gear up and engineer up to build a more exacting digital circuitry design, as it likely won't happen with analog circuitry.

I do miss the Pantera as I prefer to have more operator control of important adjustments, such as Ground Balance. I wouldn't mind seeing a new model using the Téjon package with the AA batteries, like the Pantera used, and a new name to eliminate confusion. So, my though is to make a PUMA but with two individual Discriminate controls, one smaller-size knobbed pot with a full-range adjustment, and based on the ED-180 full-range of acceptance. Label the Primary Disc. control B-U and the Secondary Disc. control T-D.

With the ED-180 circuitry, your Primary Disc. adjustment starts at the lower end and adjusts upward through the lower-conductive range. Bottom-Up so you can reject iron, foil, bigger foil, nickels, etc. Then, use the Secondary Disc, control that adjusts from the higher-conductivity targets downward. The Top-Down Disc, control would start with silver dollars and adjust downward through the higher conductive range thru dimes, pennies, zinc pennies, screw caps, etc. That would allow the user to adjust a Notch Accept 'window' to their liking from either end.

You could use a clicked setting knob for the Secondary T-D Disc. control, like the Disc. control on the Téjon or Vaquero that clicks from All Metal into Disc., but on the Puma [size=small](a rename for Pantera or Panther)[/size] the 'clicked' setting would simply be 'Off' so that the control would not get bumped. It would be for specialty applications. The average detector user would mainly use the Primary B-U Disc. for traditional ferrous and foil trash rejection.

Oh, that little-sized knob like the centered Tone level knob on the Téjon? That would be a variable Tone-Break knob, and be doing what the Notch Disc. does on the Pantera with Notch 'Off' and allow the user to adjust a Low-Tone / High-Tone break-point wherever they wanted on the full ED-180 range. What if you only wanted to hear One-Tone and not Two Tones? Fine, you take your pick and set the smaller-size Tone Break control fully clockwise and ALL targets will produce the Low-Tone audio. Turn the Tone Break control fully counter-clockwise and ALL targets will produce the High-Tone audio.

All this Puma package in the Téjon size housing and powered by AA batteries.

All Metal or Disc. mode select toggle
Manual GB control using a 3¾ or 10-turn pot
Threshold control
Sensitivity control
Tone-Break variable control small-size knob
B-U Disc. primary control
T-D Disc. secondary control
Pinpoint push-button

Precision 7" Concentric coil as standard

Analog circuitry and use the High-Tone audio like the Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX. No display. No Touchpads. No fancy stuff. Just a nicely balanced model using KNOBS, and providing all the necessary adjustment features many users might want with the well known and appreciated Tesoro performance.

Food for thought. :thumbup:

Monte

Monte,
Would there be a way to use both the BU and TD disc together so as to block out iron but also block out the top end too and hunt just in the middle?
That's what I'd like to see. For speciality gold jewelry hunting.

yeah its doable you can buy a 200 $ detector that will block everything out but the gold range I just want a Tesoro that does it :biggrin:

AJ

Monte said:
hihosilver said:
I really wish Tesoro would bring back the Pantera, but in the micromax housing and with a 3 turn Manual GB adjustment.
I really enjoyed the Pantera, but it wouldn't fit in the [size=small]micro[/size]MAX housing, I don't think, but possibly use the Téjon package. That might allow a 10-turn rather than 3¾-turn GB pot.

hihosilver said:
I know they did not sell well when they were in the metal box and the production run time was short lived.
Only produced for 1 year and 7 months, but they were not in a metal box. They used the same under-rod plastic housing as the Lobo. I think part of their short production life [size=small](7/'90 to 2/'92)[/size] was due to a few factors, such as the fact the industry had somewhat peaked around '83-'86 and by '90 you started to see a decline in clubs and local dealer shops, and so many typical 'Hobbyists' were drawn to the simple 'turn-on-and-go' detectors that didn't require manual Ground Balancing. Also, that was at about the time we started to see more attention to detectors with Target ID displays and Tone ID and even some of those were starting to go to smaller packaging.

Evidence that more folks wanted 'turn-on-and-go' simplicity was the Golden Sabre II. That was nothing more than the Pantera circuitry in the same housing, weight and balance, but they eliminated the external GB and kept it an internally preset Ground Balance and separated the stacked Disc. & Notch. to be two separate controls. That's it. Basically a simplified [size=small](or easier-to-use)[/size] Pantera version, and the Golden Sabre II had a longer production life [size=small](7/'92 to 5/'99)[/size] of 6 years and 10 months.

hihosilver said:
But times have changed, the trash has changed, and I think now that the tone-break feature and the notch accept/reject options would be better appreciated.
I honestly believe the number of people who want a two-tone model like the Pantera is rather small, and mainly whose who had or have and use a similar Tesoro, such as the Royal Sabre, Golden Sabre Plus, Golden Sabre II or the Pantera. This design worked very well with the analog Tesoro circuitry to split the tones and with a single notching ability. Today, more people want to have multiple tones and to get the best performance from multi-notching, it is better accomplished with modern digitally designed circuitry.

Also, you are correct, especially for urban Coin Hunters, when you said "... times have changed, the trash has changed ..." because we see many more discarded pieces of trash that fall all across the non-ferrous conductivity range. The problem is that way too many hunks of junk mimic the conductivity of desired coins, and that is here in the USA and countries that use zinc, copper, brass, bronze, silver, etc. to make coins.

Other countries, such as Canada and many, many more, have coins made out of magnetic metals such as nickel, iron and steel which add to detection problems. Due to the coin's metal alloy, the targets can produce a more erratic signal. Models with visual Target ID show this with a response that doesn't lock on real tight, but instead is a bit 'bouncy.' Matching that behavior is the audio Tone ID which also makes it very difficult to 'notch' those targets and get reliable and consistent tone responses.

hihosilver said:
Especially in a light detector with Outlaw/Vaquero depth and with Tesoro's current disc. Circuits. The Pantera with its notch accept feature, can be set up to run the way you are describing (the reverse disc thing), as Monte pointed out. Boy, wouldn't that be cool.
Yes, the Pantera and similar performing Tesoro models can work pretty well, and if anyone has a good specimen and likes it they ought to hang onto it. I personally doubt that we will ever see a Pantera type unit with multiple notching design unless they gear up and engineer up to build a more exacting digital circuitry design, as it likely won't happen with analog circuitry.

I do miss the Pantera as I prefer to have more operator control of important adjustments, such as Ground Balance. I wouldn't mind seeing a new model using the Téjon package with the AA batteries, like the Pantera used, and a new name to eliminate confusion. So, my though is to make a PUMA but with two individual Discriminate controls, one smaller-size knobbed pot with a full-range adjustment, and based on the ED-180 full-range of acceptance. Label the Primary Disc. control B-U and the Secondary Disc. control T-D.

With the ED-180 circuitry, your Primary Disc. adjustment starts at the lower end and adjusts upward through the lower-conductive range. Bottom-Up so you can reject iron, foil, bigger foil, nickels, etc. Then, use the Secondary Disc, control that adjusts from the higher-conductivity targets downward. The Top-Down Disc, control would start with silver dollars and adjust downward through the higher conductive range thru dimes, pennies, zinc pennies, screw caps, etc. That would allow the user to adjust a Notch Accept 'window' to their liking from either end.

You could use a clicked setting knob for the Secondary T-D Disc. control, like the Disc. control on the Téjon or Vaquero that clicks from All Metal into Disc., but on the Puma [size=small](a rename for Pantera or Panther)[/size] the 'clicked' setting would simply be 'Off' so that the control would not get bumped. It would be for specialty applications. The average detector user would mainly use the Primary B-U Disc. for traditional ferrous and foil trash rejection.

Oh, that little-sized knob like the centered Tone level knob on the Téjon? That would be a variable Tone-Break knob, and be doing what the Notch Disc. does on the Pantera with Notch 'Off' and allow the user to adjust a Low-Tone / High-Tone break-point wherever they wanted on the full ED-180 range. What if you only wanted to hear One-Tone and not Two Tones? Fine, you take your pick and set the smaller-size Tone Break control fully clockwise and ALL targets will produce the Low-Tone audio. Turn the Tone Break control fully counter-clockwise and ALL targets will produce the High-Tone audio.

All this Puma package in the Téjon size housing and powered by AA batteries.

All Metal or Disc. mode select toggle
Manual GB control using a 3¾ or 10-turn pot
Threshold control
Sensitivity control
Tone-Break variable control small-size knob
B-U Disc. primary control
T-D Disc. secondary control
Pinpoint push-button

Precision 7" Concentric coil as standard

Analog circuitry and use the High-Tone audio like the Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX. No display. No Touchpads. No fancy stuff. Just a nicely balanced model using KNOBS, and providing all the necessary adjustment features many users might want with the well known and appreciated Tesoro performance.

Food for thought. :thumbup:

Monte
Ahh! The best of Tesoro thinkers. Thanks, Monte. Hard to let go of my Royal Sabre- still works almost as good as new!

Stoof-tabsallday said:
Monte,
Would there be a way to use both the BU and TD disc together so as to block out iron but also block out the top end too and hunt just in the middle?
That's what I'd like to see. For speciality gold jewelry hunting.
That's exactly what I was describing in my Puma concept detector. A full ED-180 Disc. so it would please everyone, to include Beach Hunters, Coin Hunters and Relic Hunters.

The primary B-U Disc. would be adjusted from the low end, such as iron, foil, etc., progressively as it does now, and the T-D Disc. would adjust just the opposite, from the higher conductive range downward through silver dollars, halves, quarters, dimes, pennies, Zinc pennies, and so forth. That way you could adjust from either end and have a 'window' that you would want to notch 'accept' whatever range you wanted.

The variable Tone Break control could be adjusted anywhere on the ED-180 range scale to make a 'Tone Break' that you want for Low-Tones and High-Tones. ALL of this doable with an analog circuitry and using good old KNOBS!

Monte

So you can have both discs and set a tone break or either or?

Ummm, ok, I will go with what Monte said!

Boy, I wish Tesoro would take your idea Monte and make it.

my better-balanced and more controllable 'PUMA' concept would grab your attention and let the Royal Sabre take a well deserved place on a wall or over a mantle for fond memories.

Monte

[size=small]Through the decades I have owned and used other makes and models, but have always maintained a battery of at least 2 or 3 of my favorite Tesoro models in my regular-carry working detector battery. Yes, I do have some of the best all-purpose and more featured detectors in my arsenal that feature visual and audio ID and other functional features that I also rely on, but they all get put into action in my detecting travels.[/size]

Monte, I would like to offer some ideas to your design, if I may...

Let the Puma have the trigger toggle like the Tejon. Pull back for a true no motion all metal in VCO. Push forward for fast retune motion all metal (when the Puma is in disc modes) or it goes into the bottom up disc when the Puma is in motion all-metal mode.

Have a three way mode switch on the console... motion all-metal auto retune, mono tone disc, and dual/tone break mode.

When in the tone break mode, that central knob adjusts and locates the tone break as you described, but when in the mono tone mode, that knob adjust the pitch of the mono tone mode, like on the Tejon.

Finally, I think you should add a second toggle switch on the console for three way frequency adjust, like the elderado/Vaquero, cuz this detector is going to be popular and we don't want detector buddies arguing over who gets to use the Puma when they go out for the hunt together!

Stoof-tabsallday said:
So you can have both discs and set a tone break or either or?
Here are some examples. Don't think of Tone Break like on the FORS Relic or Racer 2, think of it the way Tesoro designed the Pantera and other models I mentioned. Tone Break on my PUMA concept is a separate variable control that references off the ED-180 scale. Here are some examples of how someone might adjust the settings I would like to have:

Coin Hunting in iron and small trash:
• Click the T-D Disc. into the locked and non-functioning position so you hear all the high-end conductors, such as silver.
• Adjust the B-U Disc.up to reject iron and possibly very small foil.
• If you want to hear 2-Tones, increase the Tone Break control just to the point that silver war nickels or many men's gold rings now produce a Low-Tone audio. All targets above that Tone Break setting, such as Zn/Cu 1¢, 10¢, 25¢ and larger denominations respond with a High-Tone.

Relic Hunting old sites with targets that read the entire range of conductivities:
• Click the T-D Disc. into the locked and non-functioning position so you hear all the high-end conductors, such as silver.
• Adjust the B-U Disc.up to reject iron nails, if you don't want to hear them.
• Adjust the Tone Break setting to wherever you desire, such as to allow sliver dimes and higher conductivity coins to produce a High-Tone.

2nd Option for Relic Hunting:
• Adjust the B-U Disc.up to just accept iron nails, or leave it at the minimum ED-180 setting to hear ALL metal targets, ferrous and non-ferrous, if you want to hear them.
• Adjust the Tone Break setting to wherever you desire, such as to Low-Tone on most iron, such as just above a nail response. That would process most iron with a Low-Tone, and all conductivities above the Tone Break point for iron [size=small](such as buttons, bullets, cases, coins, tokens, etc., etc.)[/size] would then produce a High-Tone.

Jewelry Hunting and NOT wanting to be bothered by Zinc Cents and higher conductive targets or by iron nails:
• Adjust the T-D Disc. to reject the higher-conductive coins, just to the point where you have rejected the Zinc Cent.
• Adjust the B-U Disc.up to just barely reject iron nails. This means you will now hear all targets more conductive than a nail and less conductive than a Zinc Cent.
• Adjust the Tone Break setting to wherever you desire, such as just above a US 5¢ coin so that the nickel and all lower-conductive targets produce a Low-Tone, and all targets more conductive that the Tone Break setting has a High-Tone.

Just some examples, and in the end it is really a very functional, yet simple, multi-purpose detector.

Monte

Ahh OK. So there's a third knob so set the break point.
Got you.