Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mojave/Compadre

Your probably right about simple is better... I would buy your concept detector in a heart beat. I hope Tesoro is listening. I would think they would be interested in the ideas of someone like yourself, who is well known in the detector community.

If they have another detector coming out, it's already in its final stages. Be funny if it has most or all of what Monte suggested lol

Monte said:
my better-balanced and more controllable 'PUMA' concept would grab your attention and let the Royal Sabre take a well deserved place on a wall or over a mantle for fond memories.

Monte

[size=small]Through the decades I have owned and used other makes and models, but have always maintained a battery of at least 2 or 3 of my favorite Tesoro models in my regular-carry working detector battery. Yes, I do have some of the best all-purpose and more featured detectors in my arsenal that feature visual and audio ID and other functional features that I also rely on, but they all get put into action in my detecting travels.[/size]
I could live with that!!!!

one I called the Coyote µMAX, then decided to drop the µMAX because so many people don't say [size=small]micro[/size]MAX but instead say You-Max when it isn't a 'u' letter.

The Coyote is really simple, combines the best of the [size=small]micro[/size]MAX housing Vaquero, uses an ED-180 Disc. circuitry, and has a button and toggle function that would be very 'simple' yet efficient to design and use. That was several years ago when James was still at Tesoro but things were getting kind of sluggish down there. I thought I'd suggest a new model concept, but it didn't make it that far.

Jack Gifford and I shared a short conversation and a PM or e-mail and he basically said to forget it. He told me that James and Vince would develop what they felt best, and they would absolutely NOT use any design idea that was shared with them. It has to be their own idea. I knew Jack and understood what he meant, although I didn't agree with it, so it is just an idea on my desktop that the brothers, and now only Vince, have not seen.

However, even though I have held back on sharing my ideas, the recent discussion made me decide to share one of my favorites because the discussion included the Pantera and I really enjoyed the Pantera I got from Rusty on a visit years ago. Never should have parted with it, so I thought about it and concluded that my design would be lighter weight and/or better balanced and far more versatile. So, 'Thank You' to all who read my posts about my PUMA concept and said a few kind words. I appreciate it.

Monte

it was JJdigs who mentioned the reverse disc on the 1st page of this thread all the rest has been hot air & pontificating about something that's very simple.

AJ

The most affordable detector that comes to mind is the Fisher F22...Where you can set tones" low grunt" or maybe other tones if memory does me any justice.,. for different disc segments...I had one for a very very short period of time and never really got to test it out very much.lots of features for cheap money....However it's digital and not a Tesoro...Currently my only Tesoro is a compadre with the 8" coil and if you look at my tube videos it has done pretty well on some hunts...My favorite machine for well....This week is the deeptech Vista...Insane depth and seperatly...But it lacks in disc...but heck I'm a cellar hole old foundation hunter so it's perfect....I just need a sick anolog style detector for parks...Jewelry park hunter that is not digital....Why not digital...I don't really know...I also have a cz6a that man...With the small coi 4" that willl air test a gold ring at 8"....But there still a ton of snow...So all I can do is dream for now.....Monte and amberjack and everyone eles who is not covered in snow.....Dig a plug for me !

Let's see what Tesoro does. I just cannot believe that the Mojave is all there is to come after all the hype. It seems like a great intro level detector but...

they are struggling to keep up demand on this detector :lmfao: I only bought it cause it looks good has the bad ground switch and new 12 kHz board and I most of all wanted that coil which well I cant wait 6 months for :shrug:

sure they have more to come and not sure if anyone noticed that the Mojave will be in our face about who and where it was made all over the front of it, so for me they are not planning on going anywhere soon... and letting us know by pulling sponsorship here and the in your face Mojave Tesoro proudly made logo they don't care what we think and good on them for having the balls to make a stand I like that ..and even if they didn't do right by me on a problem I had I respect them for standing by who they are and not trying to be somebody else.

so yes I am sure this is just the base modal of a Tesoro rebuild :biggrin:

AJ

I agree with AJ.
Part of the reason I bought mine was the coil.
I proudly own what I consider to be the best coil Tesoro ever made for my style of hunting, the Troy shadow super 7. They go for hundreds online if you can even find one. This new 7" looks like the little newer better brother of it. They can't make the Troy coil for copyright reasons but they can make a similar one with better technique then they did back then and I believe that's what this coil is.
I recently had mine rewound and rebuilt to the original specs and I am very curious about this new coil and how it compares. If it's even close I'll be so happy I'll literally jump for joy.
It is my best performing coil for disc, depth for size and weight along with dimensions. If you look at the old Tesoro branded 7" coil and then find a shot of the Troy shadow super 7.
Most people never had the pleasure of using one.
I will tell you there is a reason I sent in my Deleon with it and had the machine set to that coil.
I also love it on every 5 pin I own.

Now the coil won't be available until they can make enough to handle the market for the Mojave which may be a little while.

The Mojave looks like a great detector and the coil, when available, will be 99.xx but instead of waiting, I bought the whole detector.

If this 7" is anything like it's older brother, I want 3.
One to use, one as a backup, and one to leave in my closet forever to check in a decade if the other two are still working correctly. Lol.

But the bonus here is that before this launch I would have paid 250 for a compadre with a sensitivity knob let alone a ground switch which has never been done in a turn on and go fasion.

To top it off, from the videos I've seen when you flip the switch to high you only lose 1/2" of depth. That's insane.

Anyway. I digress.
I bought the Mojave out of curiosity and to possibly replace my compadre as a starter machine for newbies I Introduce to the hobby when I run into bad earth.
Seems alot easier than trying to explain ground balancing and taking swinging time away from either of us.

I, for one, am happy to have the new Mojave and even though I own many that can handle any ground I'm proud to be the owner of this new machine.

Rant over hahahahahahahaha

EDIT:
The compadre is still the budget king and in mild soil is still the king for the price.
Just wanted to reiterate that I only mean replace the compadre in bad ground.
I can't imagine ever replacing that machine at that price :)

don't think its a rant just that of a Tesorian maybe I just invented a new word :lmfao:

sure its going to be a great gold hunter now what happens to my poor Compadres :punch:

AJ

amberjack said:
don't think its a rant just that of a Tesorian maybe I just invented a new word :lmfao:

sure its going to be a great gold hunter now what happens to my poor Compadres :punch:

AJ
In normal ground it's still a compadre.
In bad ground it might as well be a cibola, silver, or an older internal set machine.
That's the beauty of this machine.
They brought the ability to hunt bad ground to the turn on and go community at a better price than anyone for the cost.

I think that's the first time AJ has has put aside banter and jokes and given a one sentence idea :poke:
Lol but it's true. It's not meant to replace the wonderful machines with GB setting that they already offer.
It's the end all do all for Tesoro in any ground with no GB.
Plus a bad@$$ coil that I hope will live up to the lineage.

I had hoped Monte would have commented on a pinpoint function and if there could have been any value in disc/am signal comparison. Maybe that's now out of date. But I did enjoy the history lesson. Wouldn't it be great to meet him at a hunt competition and talk for hours?!

maybe the next new one will have GB and a pinpoint button ?

never found much use for it (pinpoint button) but that's me and my modern park hunting, guess we all have differing needs.

always good to read a bit of Tesoro history but looks like maybe we will get to spend more time looking forward now rather than the rear-view mirror fingers crossed hey :clapping:

AJ

amberjack said:
maybe the next new one will have GB and a pinpoint button ?

never found much use for it (pinpoint button) but that's me and my modern park hunting, guess we all have differing needs.

always good to read a bit of Tesoro history but looks like maybe we will get to spend more time looking forward now rather than the rear-view mirror fingers crossed hey :clapping:

AJ
Wasn't primarily for pinpointing. On faint signals one could compare the audio response of the discriminate mode to that of the pinpoint mode to help decide dig/no dig. May be too old fashioned but for single tone beep/dig machine some help. Guess I'm telling my age. Back in the 70's a fellow named Ken Whitener was famous for using a Tesoro and comparing signals to find nickels/rings while avoiding the nasty pulltab. Unfortunately, improved technology made it possible to have as much depth in discriminate as a/m, and SOME accuracy was lost.

don't let me throw you off course, we all do it different :biggrin: I am more of a throw enough stones eventually I will hit something type of detectorist , for the most part anyway put myself in the best spot I can and dig :biggrin:

pretty rare I use the PP button on any of my detectors ctx sometimes don't even know where the others are :lmfao:

so stick to your guns and do what works for you :biggrin:

I am not the boss just a digger sharing his thoughts and experience :biggrin:

havin a bit of fun as well its only a metal detector it makes a noise I have to get down there and get the thing out :ranting: so to me screen or no screen they are all beep & dig.

AJ

hihosilver said:
Let's see what Tesoro does. I just cannot believe that the Mojave is all there is to come after all the hype. It seems like a great intro level detector but...

Is the hype from Tesoro promising something or is it from the guys on the forums speculating and creating their dream Tesoro? I don't come to the forum nearly as much as a lot of you guys so I have missed many posts and one could have been Tesoro announcing they were coming out with something new?