Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Morgan Silver Dollar! / SLQ / Pile of rings and old nickels

floodplaindetector

All finds shown are were pulled with the eTrac and 13 inch Tornado Coil at researched public city parks and old schools. Finds were made from some weekend hunts over the last 2 weekends. The 1890 Morgan Silver Dollar was quite the welcome surprise.
It was pulled a little over an hour from home at a small town city park that was originally the site of a very old school. The Silver Dollar was about 10 inches deep and at an angle so I was having a little trouble pinpointing it. The city park had faint signs
of someone hitting it hard this spring already as I saw numerous faint plug marks. I first ran into a very deep 1887 Indian head penny @ 10-11 inches deep. I knew I had the depth advantage with my machine and setup so I patiently and slowly worked this park for about 5 hours.
I only pulled 1 wheat penny but hit about a 9-10 inch 1892 V nickel, a silver war nickel, Buffalo nickel and a few pins, bale seals and finally the silver dollar. There was so much iron in the ground I didn't even bother looking at my numbers after I got the deep repeatable high tone.
It has been a few years since my last silver dollar.
My arm and back are doing ok so far since my "etrac, Lighten It Up" modification so I will continue to hunt with it and get some good exercise.
Below is some more detail about the pictured items I found.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
Dave

Coin Items
1890 O Morgan Silver Dollar
1926 Standing Liberty Quarter
6 silver dimes. (1916 - 1950). Oldest dime has S mintmark.
6 V nickels (1892-1906)
4 Buffalo Nickels (1914 - 1937)
3 Silver War Nickels
3 Jefferson Nickels (1942-195:geek:
3 Indian head pennies (1887-1900)
27 Wheat pennies Not Pictured

Non Coin Items
Small town $1.00 unlisted merchant token (roached up)
Gold Cuff Link
Small Aluminum Ornate "G" Badge. Has 2 fastener hooks on back. Ideas?
"President" Suspender Clasp
8 rings. 1 is marked sterling and 1 is marked 10k g.f. Sterling. Another small ring is not marked but came out looking like gold. It is possibly plated gold.
1965 Lutheran Sunday School Pin - Year 2. Marked 10k g.f. Patent Date of 1965. (over the years I have now found the brass, silver and gold variety of these Sunday School Pins)
Very old metal pencil sharpener. Marked "Made In Germany" on reverse.
Small "LTL" pin
Ornate pin with amber stone (read like a deep Indian head penny)
2 "SOO LINE" bale seals
Small Bear Pin
LePages R.C.C.O Signet Item. Ideas ?
PICCO Padlock
Other various pins and buttons.
GroupShot.jpg
MorganObverse.jpg
MorganReverse.jpg
UncleanedMorgan.jpg
MorganInTheHole.jpg
OldNickels.jpg
Rings.jpg
LutheranSundaySchoolPin.jpg
GoldCuffLink.jpg

Very nice Dave....the etrac is very good for you...thanks for your post...we are still at home here....missing all the fun !

Always enjoy seeing your posts, and always impressed by your finds in the rural NoDak areas!
Just curious, do you normally hunt in auto or manual sensitivity?

Thanks for the comments guys! I always hunt in Auto+3. Since I have a brother that lives in Nebraska, in past years I have hunted a fair amount in Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri.
This year of course I have been close to home in the Dakotas.

Dave,
I recall from previous posts that you always hunt in Auto+3. I am impressed with the depth you get. I see the soil around the silver dollar and it appears to be a fine type soil and a little "grainy". I assume you don't have too much clay in your area. I am getting about 8 inches max with my eTrac in my local parks in Illinois. I do have some areas that will get up to 12 inches, but the soil is almost a grainy, sandy, type of soil in those areas. Not too much of that around my location. Do you have much clay, or is it more grainy in your area? Just curious.

Thanks

In ohio I can pull 12+ inch coins with my etrac in tile mill clay ground....so much I lower my sensitivity to save my wrists from digging.....same settings as dave's ...g4e settings....pattern rejected 25 to 35.
I run a manual of 24 a lot...and go up to 27 when I can.

That soil was a little sandy in that area as it was within 50 feet on the side of where the original school sat and got filled in. It may have even been parking at one time. I was down to the packed dirt under that and had just popped that coin loose and pulled it up when
I took the picture. No, we don't have much clay.
I have tried running in manual a few times but always go back to auto+3 since it runs so smooth and I get really good depth with that.
I found kind of a neat map online if you do an image search on "USDA Soil Texture Map Comet Program"
Dave

Dave,
I recall from previous posts that you always hunt in Auto+3. I am impressed with the depth you get. I see the soil around the silver dollar and it appears to be a fine type soil and a little "grainy". I assume you don't have too much clay in your area. I am getting about 8 inches max with my eTrac in my local parks in Illinois. I do have some areas that will get up to 12 inches, but the soil is almost a grainy, sandy, type of soil in those areas. Not too much of that around my location. Do you have much clay, or is it more grainy in your area? Just curious.

Thanks

Very nice finds. Thanks for sharing the pics. That ground was very kind to those nickels.

HH
Mike