Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX5

amberjack

I have a question if anyone can help does the MX5 feedback on the garret pin pointers as in when turning on the pin pointer does it pulse through the detector as in you can hear it pulsing through your headphones?
thanks !!

AJ

No not at all because one of the best features of the 5 is the "standby mode". I really wish all detectors had this feature. Once you stand up from target retrieval just tap the pp button to resume hunting. If you do not put the detector in standby mode then yes you will get interference from pinpointer(s).

My mxt-pro would go crazy when using pinpointer around it. My Safari never makes a peep while using a Garrett pinpointer around it. I don't have the answer but about every machine I've used except Tesoro and Minelab are affected by them. The omega being the worst I have personally used. I think it may be the higher gain machines that are affected the most.

I will add that te MX-5 ranks in the top 2-3 machines I've had as far as making hunting enjoyable. It has great depth, sensitive to very small mid- high conductors, great audio(much better than MXT-pro, fast recovery, good in iron when using 2 tone or 1 tone and disc, very good all metal threshold(with ID), backlight, standby, and most of all perfect balance. It really is a very overlooked machine I think because it "looks" like a coinmaster, but it was my preferred machine over the MXT-pro I had concurrently with the MX-5. Some say it's no good in iron because you cannot lock ground tracking but I have never had any issue with the lack of this feature.

well sounds good and I will find out soon enough I guess just order one, thanks for the info !! any other tips gratefully accepted ! :biggrin:

AJ

from what I understand all the Eclipse coils work on the MX5 then a lot of sellers don't know this or do they forget to add the MX5 to the list of detectors a Eclipse coil will work on?

was also wondering about after market coils they mention all the detectors that the whites Eclipse coils will work on but not the MX5 am I missing something or are they???

does no one care about this detector ???

as always all help gratefully accepted !!

AJ

Well AJ I have the stock and a smaller SEF 8"x6" DD coil and I love 'em both . And like Flech88 said it's a great machine and basically seems a lot of people fail to get it the praise it truly deserves ( maybe cause they paid more or think it's a 6T ) ... a true sleeper in Whites lineup . IMHO , Woodstock

I had the 5.3 Eclipse, 6x10 eclipse and 4x6 Shooter. I mostly used the stock and 5.3 eclipse. The 6x10 was a good coil also. I never used the shooter coil it was so small but would probably be very good in higher mineralized soil.

thanks Fletch88 all those coils sound good like the concentric well the idea of it, I was just looking at all the after market coils and they seem to have left out the MX5 on what would be the eclipse family coils , anyone know what gives there ??

thanks again !

AJ

just posting something here as there was 2 exact same threads MX5 right on top each other and it was freaking me out !!

AJ

The MX5 made me aware of how our Creator wondrously made us. I can take the 8 tone and wade thru trash just listening to the tones. It takes a couple of days from the start, but your mind picks up on 4 primary tones: Foil, nickel, zincers, and cu/silver. The only time I look at the ID is if I wanna try to separate nickels from statabs. If the tones in foil hit pretty hard, I usually check-found a nice gold ring this way. Some unusual signals have fluty melodies that make you wanna see what the heck could cause that. Of course, if you get ultra serious, you can switch to 1 or 2 tone. It's so fast I hardly use the pinpoint-but when I do-it's nice to just tap without holding down. It turned dark soon earlier this year and the backlite made for a beautiful screen. I just can't decide on the shooter or 5.3 coil. In my mind, the shooter coil sounds perfect, but posters are kinda split on which is best.

sounds good slingshot on the tones, so the zinc's stand out?? still haven't got mine fingers crossed for late next week , i am hanging out to try something different and this seemed pretty different to what i am used too.

i got a 6" Detech and 13" Ultimate and the stock coil , see how i go with those but want to try the 5.3 also when funds permit :biggrin:

so yes come next weekend i hope i have my 1st run under my belt on this detector just liked it because it didn't look like a typical whites machine and the backlight tones etc..

so yeah cant wait to take it for a spin.

thanks for your thoughts.

AJ

amberjack said:
sounds good slingshot on the tones, so the zinc's stand out?? still haven't got mine fingers crossed for late next week , i am hanging out to try something different and this seemed pretty different to what i am used too.

i got a 6" Detech and 13" Ultimate and the stock coil , see how i go with those but want to try the 5.3 also when funds permit :biggrin:

so yes come next weekend i hope i have my 1st run under my belt on this detector just liked it because it didn't look like a typical whites machine and the backlight tones etc..

AJ
Yeah-the silver/copper tone is a distinct high pitched tone much like a mosquito in distress in your ear!:rofl: The zincer is usually a warble combination of this tone and a slightly lower high pitch. Corroded zincers are one high tone lower- a sort of screwcap tone. While advisable to dig all nickel tones in learning, or for that matter, anytime- nickels usually are 18-20, while statabs are 22-24. For learning, I dug all the hard hits to verify the ID. Found a gold ring (beauty) at foil and 15 ID. My own ring hits at pulltab and 26 ID.

slingshot said:
amberjack said:

AJ
Yeah-the silver/copper tone is a distinct high pitched tone much like a mosquito in distress in your ear!:rofl: The zincer is usually a warble combination of this tone and a slightly lower high pitch. Corroded zincers are one high tone lower- a sort of screwcap tone. While advisable to dig all nickel tones in learning, or for that matter, anytime- nickels usually are 18-20, while statabs are 22-24. For learning, I dug all the hard hits to verify the ID. Found a gold ring (beauty) at foil and 15 ID. My own ring hits at pulltab and 26 ID.

all sounds good and that they got the tones in a good place :biggrin: even more eagre to take it for a spin now as it sounds like its going to be a fun detector :biggrin:

glad its working for you !

will make a report on how i find it asap :biggrin:

thanks again for your help!

AJ

I too also own the MX5 and two months ago I found a 10k gold wedding band at 7" deep while using the 13" Ultimate coil, the VDI was solid at # 16.(1st pic).

Yesterday again I was using my MX5 with the 6x8 sef coil and found another 10k white gold ring and VDI #'s 18/20 (2nd pic).

Along with the ring I also found a 1955 Chauffeur license from 1955.(3rd pic).

With all the features on the MX5 mentioned above it is an amazing machine of how lighter it is.

HOTDOG Hotdawg! Those are nice finds with the MX-5

LOL just doing it to annoy me or get me motivated that's what it is :clapping:

mine will be here soon have a ultimate on the way too, so the ultimate found that small ring at 7" ??

well done on the finds!

AJ

my MX5 showed up today, out of the box looks and feels pretty well made, put together easy yeah the coil screw on it a bit small as in the area but doable pretty easy.

scroll through settings and disc simple enough.

who ever made this detector must have been a lefty and what is this detector revenge of the lefties?? the headphone jack socket on the right well that's not going to work so I either go wireless or patch cord, see how I go with that, my question is what do lefties do because all detectors that are side mounted are for right handed people except this one how do lefties get on??

put on a detech 6" DD coil, 8 tones 2 bars from top sens just the usual back yard 20 min hit out its a iron pit and hasn't produced any coin sized targets for some time, so it sure isn't like any detector I have been used to using lately , closest detector I have used that is similar would be an xterra 705, except the MX5 doesn't run as smooth maybe I can work on that but it sort of feels like its half in disc half in AM mode at the same time.

so while wrestling the headphone cable which wasn't fun I will add and has to be changed, so like I said no coin sized targets have come from my iron pit back yard in the last few go overs and I have used the ctx on it not long ago. last machine over it was the gold racer it picked some big chunks of no ferrous crud out.

so no idea what this thing is going on about really other than knowing I want targets over zero etc..

so I get a mid ish tone with a slight low grunt, so I dig down and pull out a rusted nail and my first thoughts were oh dear its one of those, so i stand up rescan the hole tone is still there out comes a rip tab I went wow impressive sense I have all of well its first hole in experience with this detector. how they were sitting in the ground I am unsure but sense the nail come out first ??

so whoopty doo a pulltab , think its the lump of iron in there that's impressive any detector can find a tab but can they do that, well no perfect test is there but I have had some nice detectors on this small back yard and it in my mind had given up all coin sized non ferrous items and in that 20 mins I got the nail one and 2 other tabs.

I know one thing its going to take me some time to get used too, doesn't id like my F19 on some coin throw downs its not as accurate but time will tell with that. maybe tones will do what I need ?

so I am little disappointed I have to run some mods to get in to the field, but other than that and my lack of use of whites machines other than a DF which the threshold sort of reminds me of , I am thinking this detector may have a couple of tricks up its sleave from 1st impressions, and they are just that very 1st impressions.

thanks for looking in !!

AJ

003_4.jpg

Well, for having the sensitivity so high and using 8 tone, it did about what I expected! I believe you'd have gotten away with that amount of sensitivity in single tone in an iron infested site. Still, one man's favorite is another's disappointment. Hoping better luck.