Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MX5

yeah I have no idea on how to set up was just a test drive to see it was working, impressive in its own way :biggrin:

the near on deal braker for me is the right hand side headphone socket not good at all in fact very very bad for me , so I made this patch lead, will get some like 1.5" rubber type stuff and some super Velcro and Velcro it to the back of the battery box cover and mount the headphone socket in there, will keep the back of the detector of the ground too and use it that way for ever or until it brakes then I have to go wireless but didn't want to spend the cash right now so this will do for now.

AJ

008_1.jpg

012.jpg

Just for giggles, run the disc. wide open in the coin mode and select 2 tone. You might be surprised on how much iron junk is in there. In a lot of places I hunt, there is a constant barrage of low tones and the high tones are very noticeable. I use the 5.3 eclipse coil on mine and can wiggle some targets out of those nightmare places. When it gets overloaded with low tones and it starts to work on your mental game, just go to 1 tone with the first 3 iron segments notched out, then it behaves very much like a Tesoro......... Good luck with your MX5

yep sounds good it has potential for sure from what I have seen, so yes will give it a try in the field where there is iron and could be some silver hiding :biggrin:

just get this headphone thing sorted and I am right to go, no wonder no one can live with me :buds:

its going to fun learning a new brand detector and well probably leads to at least one more right :poke:

so keep the ideas coming I am all ears always sacred me that saying :blowup:

AJ

yeah I just made this one, it works too, but I am never happy ended up buying a detecknix wireless set up , hope I like that, seriously I am worried about myself !! its a metal detector !! :ranting:

drive myself nutts really its no fun.

so yep it works.

AJ

Hombre said:
Just for giggles, run the disc. wide open in the coin mode and select 2 tone. You might be surprised on how much iron junk is in there. In a lot of places I hunt, there is a constant barrage of low tones and the high tones are very noticeable. I use the 5.3 eclipse coil on mine and can wiggle some targets out of those nightmare places. When it gets overloaded with low tones and it starts to work on your mental game, just go to 1 tone with the first 3 iron segments notched out, then it behaves very much like a Tesoro......... Good luck with your MX5
Been thinking about doing this- but don't you have to lower the preset coin mode disc to where it goes into the iron region?

slingshot said:
Hombre said:
Been thinking about doing this- but don't you have to lower the preset coin mode disc to where it goes into the iron region?

this detector does overload if sense is too high I did the kitchen flaw test on the nail heads and it was just overloading so had to back it right off , to hear the nail heads, did toss a few coins down there it picked them up no problem laying on the nail heads.

I had the omega and it did the overload thing, this detector is worse at it, it really is a high gain machine isn't it , I hope I learn to like it as I think it can do some good things if learnt, so I will give it 100 hrs see what think after that.

thanks for all the help fellas much appreciated for now and I am the future.

AJ

slingshot said:
Hombre said:

What pre-set mode Coin mode? I can set up with any of my custom settings and it retains them until the next time I use the MX5. I play with the disc. all the time when going from 1 tone over to 2 tone. The 2 tone is great for scouting for areas with iron, also using the all metal Coin mode with everything accepted and 2 tone it lets you know if it is small iron or big iron...I really like this machine. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries.

Hombre said:
slingshot said:
Hombre said:

What pre-set mode Coin mode? I can set up with any of my custom settings and it retains them until the next time I use the MX5. I play with the disc. all the time when going from 1 tone over to 2 tone. The 2 tone is great for scouting for areas with iron, also using the all metal Coin mode with everything accepted and 2 tone it lets you know if it is small iron or big iron...I really like this machine. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries.
OK. Simple. When you first get your detector, the iron segments are disced out in coins mode. So for the two tone to grunt on iron and have the high tone for all above, you would have to lower into the iron region?

Yup, all metal, accept all notches, easy to do with the DISC button and arrow buttons.

Took the MX5 for another back yard spin in the iron pit, the settings mentioned 2 tone, no disc, nothing notched out, sens 3 bars from the top, bit easier to use with the headphone cord not all over the screen and me, I even went bought a detecknix wireless where I can use my own headphones type one see how that goes. still wonder how lefties get on??

anyway maybe this detector is the iron maiden?? sure makes some strange sounds on the iron :unsure: using the Detech 6" DD coil .

got tricked by 2 rusty beer caps, found 2 coins wow haven't seen a coin out of here for 12 months a 5 and 20 cent coin both come in under zinc by a long way on the 5 cent its like 8 I think so anyway as much as the headphone thing has pained me I do believe this detector is worth putting in the 100hrs on and then see if I want to go 100 more.

I seem to be always having clashes with detectors and their headphone set ups CTX got me banned for 6 months I was that dirty :punch: anyway try the wireless see if that makes my blood boil :unsure:

so anyway 40 mins on this detector and some bench testing on coins I hunt here will be interesting to see how it does in the field :biggrin:

might even do some videos there seems to be a real lack of MX5 videos so see how I go hey :buds:

thanks my friends for your help !!

AJ

003_5.jpg

Hey everyone,
Amberjack, I use my Grey ghost NDT headphones on my MX5 all the time and the cord doesn't go over the screen it stays under. I have just started recording video's of my finds with my MX5 & M6 and you can watch here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGylCFGDpw

I will be posting another video up in a couple days from a week ago where I took Hombre's suggestion of putting the MX5 in 2 tone, I notch out everything at 14 and under because I found a 10K ring at vdi #16 a couple months ago (and I like the heavier rings as the lighter gold rings you can't get much $ for them). I keep sens at 7/8 if not too much interference. I went to one of my permission spots where there's history that goes back to the 1900's and I've been there so many times. I couldn't believe on how the MX5 found more stuff using 2 tones I was blown away and it even found me another 10k white gold ring with vdi # 18/20.

Hotdawg said:
Hey everyone,
Amberjack, I use my Grey ghost NDT headphones on my MX5 all the time and the cord doesn't go over the screen it stays under. I have just started recording video's of my finds with my MX5 & M6 and you can watch here.

I will be posting another video up in a couple days from a week ago where I took Hombre's suggestion of putting the MX5 in 2 tone, I notch out everything at 14 and under because I found a 10K ring at vdi #16 a couple months ago (and I like the heavier rings as the lighter gold rings you can't get much $ for them). I keep sens at 7/8 if not too much interference. I went to one of my permission spots where there's history that goes back to the 1900's and I've been there so many times. I couldn't believe on how the MX5 found more stuff using 2 tones I was blown away and it even found me another 10k white gold ring with vdi # 18/20.
I found two gold rings at 8 and 12 VDI.:punch: But you're right. They were small.

yeah I just run the patch lead under the handle so yeah a longer cord works , but want to try the wireless anyway.

nice find with the 13" coil I have one coming wonder how it does on finer rings, nice one by the way gotta be happy with that :biggrin:

going to take mine for its 1st real hunt tomorrow see how it does.

thanks for the tips and the vid :biggrin:

AJ

slingshot said:
Hotdawg said:
Hey everyone,

I found two gold rings at 8 and 12 VDI.:punch: But you're right. They were small.

its the small ones that have the big rocks :biggrin:

AJ

amberjack said:
slingshot said:
Hotdawg said:
Hey everyone,

its the small ones that have the big rocks :biggrin:

AJ
I won't touch that one!!!:clapping:

I wanna thank you guys. I never thought of using screen savers on my screen. Just today I noticed an almost invisible scratch on mine. It almost disappeared with cleaning- so I know to start now.

take all this for what its worth :bouncy:

I have used a lot of VLF detectors , but have never used a whites VLF and today was my 1st real world hunt with the MX5 and the Detech 6" DD coil.

so having only 40 mins in the back yard under my belt I took the MX5 to a park that I have done to death on high conductors, not that there was much there but I got some with the CTX, now gone Omega 8000 and the Outlaw , so for me its been done pretty well with some respectable detectors.

obviously the term hunted out is just that a word.

so anyway I turn this thing on start detecting to the spot in the park where the old stuff is/was and I am already disliking the threshold , why I am not sure but it was annoying me, so I put it on zero and 9 bars of sens, 1st 4 notches notched out, 8 tones and 40 mins life time back yard whites VLF experience.

so I really was just wondering around listing to the detector seeing what it sounded like, working out that the chopped up clipped sounds was iron discing out.

so yeah dug a few low conductive targets to see what they were, junk is what they were or our low conductive coins 5-10-20 cent coins.

so I get this faint sound never heard anything like it on a VLF in disc mode sounded more like a AM sound or near even a higher pitched PI sound, anyway I sure has to see what it was, about 5" down out comes a mangled up silver ring wow was about my 1st response !

so ok if I am looking for high conductors then it must be that sound or similar I am looking for, so I slow down start listening, get a similar sound and out comes a 1936 large cent or a penny as we call them, worthless but a good sign I haven't got all the old stuff and there could be silver still left here, and in the back of my mind I am thinking I bought this detector to hunt gold but so far its hitting high conductors and I am getting slightly impressed.

so 10 mins maybe and I get that sound again and start digging and digging, pretty sure I haven't dug anything over 6" in this spot, and start thinking its iron then I shove the pin pointer in the hole hear something then look and its the silver shilling on edge just looking at me, was so impressed I took a photo. you will see them below I think they are pretty self explanatory.

so yeah on edge at how deep ? was starting to think this is just a fluke , so I am all ears for the sound :biggrin:

so short story long pulled out a few more pennys and a silver florin which is a big silver coin.

impressed most defiantly this thing is a different detector to what I am used too, and well 3 hrs or so up and I think after I make 100hrs it could show me how to make it shine, but I got a feeling it might not take that long.

only real complaint is my shoulder is sore and well I have swung a lot of back and forwards and never come home sore like today. I will work on why as I go.

anyway below is the story in pictures.

AJ

004_2.jpg

006_2.jpg

015.jpg

013_2.jpg

018.jpg

020_1.jpg