Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT Pro finds silver and INDIANS!

Aarong81

It only reached about 35 degrees and was very windy today but I'm glad I went metal detecting. I found my oldest indian head cent too! The V nickel is a nice change from the norm as well. I also found a 1916 Merc, too bad it doesn't have a D mint mark.
Turned out to be one of my better days detecting despite the COLD WIND.
When you have a chance to get out and detect but you decide its not the best conditions, this is what you might be missing. :)

I've seen buckles like that before...along with indians. Nice finds! Congrats. We just got 4" of snow again. Was able to get out after a little warm up. Been out 5 times already. Can't wait to get back out again!

Awesome finds Aaron. :thumbup: You've found two of my favorite coins! The Indian cents and an old nickel. Looks like you can read the "LIBERTY" on the 1881 Indian. Super! There's something mystical about Indian cents. I just love seeing them recovered. Is that a love token in the last picture? Thanks for the great photos. We won't be hunting for a while. Wind chill yesterday morning was 1 degree. OUCH! Last year at this time we were mowing our yards and smelling the flowers. Thanks again and congrats. HH, Nancy

Nancy, the last pic has a pendant I found the same day. It has a stone in the center of it. Its in the upper right side of the pic. Is that what your referring to? Also pictured is a toy sheriff badge with a ster cutout in it. It still has a few letters but I cannot read it. My dad says he remembers those toy badges when he was a kid. I hope to find a real badge some day! :) For now I'll keep digging up indians, those helped to keep me warm yesterday. It was really cold!...but worth it!

Aaron, I'm talking about the star shape with the circle around it. I thought that was a love token that kids got out of machines or fairs with their names stamped on them but your dad said it was a sheriff's badge. I guess I've never seen one of those like that before. The pendent is pretty neat too. Isn't it mentally satisfying weather when you're finding the good stuff?! Been there, done that. But on those days when picking is very slim, it's either so terribly hot, windy, cold and it's much worse than it really is. :wacko: HH, Nancy

I've found two of the star/circle badge type things also. Both of mine had names stamped on them and the year (1950's). I've never heard of love tokens. Nancy or Aaron- can either of you tell me a little about those? They came out of machines? Mine were found at an old fair/carnival location so I knew it was something to do with that, but I even asked a few of the oldtimers that were there about ti and they didn't remember them either.

Thanks for any info!

PS....don't tumble those badge/tokens with your clad. It completely made both sides smooth and unreadable....

Rodney

Nancy-IL said:
Aaron, I'm talking about the star shape with the circle around it. I thought that was a love token that kids got out of machines or fairs with their names stamped on them but your dad said it was a sheriff's badge. I guess I've never seen one of those like that before. The pendent is pretty neat too. Isn't it mentally satisfying weather when you're finding the good stuff?! Been there, done that. But on those days when picking is very slim, it's either so terribly hot, windy, cold and it's much worse than it really is. :wacko: HH, Nancy

Great finds! Love the shotshell heads! I have never seen the Gamble's Ace posted before on any forum!

Doug

I bet Nancy knows what she is talking about with the love token. Thanks for sharing, I am not the only one that is clueless what it is. My dad couldn't possibly know without a doubt what it is since you cannot read it. ga5150 found a couple that match your description, name and date, so that makes more sense than a sheriff badge. This one is bent up and needs the 'two boards one big hammer' treatment.

turtlefoot, When I cleaned up the shotshells I knew I hadn't seen the Gambles Ace shell before. Of the shotshells from that day, the Gambles Ace was never fired! I havn't researched that one yet but its a one of a kind in my collection. I have a ton of shotshells from detecting and plan on making a display(shadow box?)some year with all the info and dates I can gather for each shell. They are all pretty much toast but this is what comes out of the ground after 100-150 years. I have 3 FULL BRASS casings so far! Those are impressive, I can just visualize Doc Holiday with his double barrel and full brass shells.

Yes, the love tokens were made by a machine. Many carnivals/fairs would have them for an attraction and they were cheap and "lovers" (more like teens) would have their names and the year put on them and wear them on a necklace. Sometimes museums would also have them and you would put your money in them and then turn the dial for each letter and it would stamp it on the aluminum disk along with the name of the museum or exhibitions. They're really a neat find. Hope that helps. HH, Nancy

Aaron- Do these match your badge/token at all?
Nancy- Are these the "Love Tokens"?

Here's a scan of the two that I have found at the same location. Keep in mind, I did the boneheaded thing and tumbled them with some clad, so they're all screwed up now. I forgot to put a penny for size reference, but they measure exactly 1.25" diameter and are really light like maybe aluminum.

The one on the right says P Eck Donald 1957 It is sort of like military would do a name by having the last name first. I thought the last name may be Peck, but there is a definite space between P and ECK. I think that may just be where the letters lined up on the piece though and I still lean towards the last name being Peck. There is a star in the middle on this side and an American flag in the middle on the back. The back is otherwise blank.

The one of the left is a little more worn. The best I can make out is: DEE523 WILSON PL. 1957 ORI703
It has the flag in the middle and the star on the reverse. Maybe the name is Dee and the address was 523 Wilson Pl. I don't know what the ORI703 is though.

2012tokens.jpg

Here is a 5 pointed star like yours, ga5150....
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/what/202630d1332348626-id-help-needed-solved-111.jpg
Mine has 6 points to the star and the closest I found to mine is this but it looks like it had a rind around it and later cut off.....
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachments/what/201830d1332348622-id-help-needed-solved-dscn0562.jpg

Yes, that's them. There's all different types and shapes but those are what I'm talking about. HH, Nancy

Aarong81 said:
turtlefoot, When I cleaned up the shotshells I knew I hadn't seen the Gambles Ace shell before. Of the shotshells from that day, the Gambles Ace was never fired! I havn't researched that one yet but its a one of a kind in my collection. I have a ton of shotshells from detecting and plan on making a display(shadow box?)some year with all the info and dates I can gather for each shell. They are all pretty much toast but this is what comes out of the ground after 100-150 years. I have 3 FULL BRASS casings so far! Those are impressive, I can just visualize Doc Holiday with his double barrel and full brass shells.

When it comes to getting info, if you run into any that you are having problems on, let me know. I am sure that I can help with at least some of them. Shotshell heads are a passion of mine. I have sever all brass shells in my collection, but have yet to dig one myself. Congrats!

Doug

I found a few more nice coins in my front lawn. When I think I found everything I can in my lawn I just try again and find more! :clapping: I credit my D2 coil, the wheat cent and silver dime were right with a junk of iron, a big rusty nut which showed full negative VDI so it nulled completely except for standing one direction that allowed the DD coil to separate the items. A concentric coil would not be able to find those unless you dug -80 VDI IRON signals.
V nickel - unknown year
1948 Silver Rosie
1946 Wheatie
This is a GIF of before/after cleaning the Liberty Nickel. It was so toasted that I could barely tell it is a V nickel. Since it couldn't get any worse I cleaned it with vinegar and salt in hopes of finding a year but I can't see it.
You have to click the image below to animate it and see the before/after.
http://i.picasion.com/pic67/663e988f3e7d12d011690943f46754a4.gif

That's pretty awesome Aarron. You should take a brass brush to that nickel and get some more of that crud off. It might be a bit more visible then. Great detecting. Life is good! HH, Nancy

I think the V nickel is too far gone, the area where the date would be is corrosion free but very pitted. I think it may have been a smooth date when it was dropped, the few places with any detail seems to be barely visible as if very worn.

Yesterday I went back to the spot that I was at when I made the original post and found the 1894 V nickel, two IH cents and the merc. This spot has been good to me, I had also found the 2 cent piece from 1864 at his spot, I think I have it posted on the forum here as well. Yesterday I found one more IH cent but I had spent several hours in the last areas to cover. This 1903 IH cent has some really cool patina on it, natural styration lines that aline on both sides of the coin. These must be from the mixture of the copper when the coin was minted. I love how these old IH cents always have a perfect green patina, unlike wheat cents and newer copper cents. Sadly, I think I have to find another place to detect since the finds have dwindled a a rare 1 oldie per 4 hour rate. There is most definitely more good stuff here but they are out of my reach to find them. Perhaps I'll be back with my next coil, they get better all the time! :detecting:

Love those Indians. Congrats and yes, you've got a great place to hunt. HH, Nancy

Way to go Aaron !! I used to be really heavy into collecting coins, still own a pretty large collection. The knowledge I learned from that hobby goes hand in hand with coin shooting. Please,,,and I repeat,,,please, be very careful cleaning any old coin you find. Its the biggest mistake you can make. Wire brushing coins,,,,,even with a brass brush, can instantly turn a $1000.00 coin into a $10.00 coin. I even cringe when I hear about folks tumbling old coins. Its OK for common clad stuff,,,,,but anything earlier than 1964, be gentle until you verify its date and value. I soak all my coins in virgin olive oil. It is an inert oil that will not harm any coins, including silver too. Once the crud is loosened up by the oil, rinse off with hot water, and pat dry with a cotton towel or paper towels work too. The idea is not to rub minute scratches on the surface. If there is stubborn crap still on them, a cotton Q-tip with finger nail polish remover (acetone) and a gentle rubbing action will remove allot of that. Unfortunately, the reality is that sometimes the long vacation a coin may spend buried, will do some damage, but in many cases, care in cleaning can bring them back to a condition of value. For instance,,that mercury dime you found,,,it that had a D mint-mark, in poor condition, would be worth $950.00 Please, my intent here is not to lecture anyone in this area, and I'm sure there are many other members here well versed on coin values. When you take a coin into a coin shop to sell it, the proprietor will look at that coin with a 10 power loupe. If you clean it with with steel wool, no matter how fine, a fine wire brush, even brass, etc, the dealer will most often ask you if you attempted to clean it. Then he will most likely give you the bad news that you ruined any chance of collector value that the coin may have had. And one last thing, when digging with tools to recover your finds, treat that hole like you have found a rare date silver coin, because you just may have found one indeed, and gouging it with a trowel would really be a bummer.

Enough of my ranting,,,I too like Nancy, love Indian Head pennies. When I first started collecting, it was my main area of interest. I have several key Indians that I paid $500.00 each for, and those were not the highest grade either. I have one complete set of them, including the 1877, which is the key coin in that series. I hope to find more with my MXT Pro.

Was 60 degrees here yesterday and snuck out with my new MXT for a few hours. Had a ball,,,,am still learning this machine, but did well. Found some clad stuff that will be rolled and cashed in at my bank. I would have played all day, but my wife has a honey-do list longer than Rt-66 so I had to head on home.

Where can you find a hobby that is so much fun, gives you a chance to be out doors in the sun and fresh air, provides you with moderate free exercise, and affords you the opportunity to meet so many really nice folks from all over the world ? It surely has to be this one ! And the excitement of the adventure, with the chance of finding valuable goodies, is just the icing on the cake. Happy hunting everyone !!!