Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best coin ever!

Geologyhound

I recently obtained permission for my club to hunt a sizable piece of property with historical group usage going back over 100 years. Over 40 of us showed up on the designated day. I heard several people say their first signal of the day was a silver dime! By the afternoon, I was getting a little discouraged with a wheat or two, some bullets, a fishing weight and a couple modern coins. I had also found a 12 pound section of an old brass pot or urn. Based on the radius of curvature, that thing must have been huge, not to mention extremely heavy! I had to make a special trip back to the car for that thing, as it was too heavy to carry with me all day.

I finally broke the silver drought with a 64 Rosie after lunch. A while after that, another club member hunting near me found a beautiful Ben Franklin silver half. I told him it was gorgeous, and mentioned I had never found a half outside a seeded hunt - let alone a silver one. He encouraged me and said I will find one sooner or later and it might be a Walker or even a Barber.

As he moved on, I hit a nail patch and decided to slow down and go over it. I was using my Deus 2 with the 11x13 coil - not optimum for dense nails, but I wasn’t going back to the car for the 9” that late in the day. After a little comparison, I switched to the Tekkna program. From what I have read, it might not be the best program for a large coil and dense ferrous targets, but it was more stable and much quieter in the dense nails than my custom program. After walking two lines through the nails, I had recovered four wheats and a worn cuff link (?), and figured there may be more hiding. Sure enough, I hit a nice mid-90’s signal that was so strong it had to be a can lid or the like. But, with multiple nearby wheats, I was digging it anyway. About three inches down, I caught my breath as I saw a silver disk emerge. Surely, it was an aluminum punch like another one I had found, but then I saw the reeding on the edge. I was flabbergasted to see Lady Liberty emerge from the dirt!

Despite the dense iron (based on the stain, it would appear the coin was actually in contact with iron) using Tekkna and the 11x13 worked well. I would say this is the best coin I have ever found! In hindsight, I wonder what would have happened if my club member had said I would find a $20 gold piece…🤪

I also found a maple tree tap and what I think is a musket ball. The wheats range from 1911 through the 1950’s, with only the 1920’s not represented. We are working on permission to go back again!

Attachments

• DAD3E173-952C-4865-901C-9436C6DE787D.jpeg
    DAD3E173-952C-4865-901C-9436C6DE787D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 109
  • E2477E27-4008-4CEA-B19F-9CAA09516DF4.jpeg
    E2477E27-4008-4CEA-B19F-9CAA09516DF4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 139
  • 3CE16D64-03D2-4F2B-8A67-B0461DC483E7.jpeg
    3CE16D64-03D2-4F2B-8A67-B0461DC483E7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • 30D9289D-EF89-45B7-BE1F-81047CA1FF30.jpeg
    30D9289D-EF89-45B7-BE1F-81047CA1FF30.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
You had a great day!!
The item next to the half dollar… if you are referring to that as a tree tap, it is actually a rope tensioner for a tent.. neat find and I have found some too.
Looks like a nail was right up against that half dollar by the rust mark on it.

You had a great day!!
The item next to the half dollar… if you are referring to that as a tree tap, it is actually a rope tensioner for a tent.. neat find and I have found some too.
Looks like a nail was right up against that half dollar by the rust mark on it.
Thanks! Yeah that item still has woody debris jammed in the end hole, so I was thinking it had been in a tree.

Edit note:
I just took a closer look, and that is not woody debris jammed in the hole but twisted rope fragments!

Attachments

• E37AC61C-153C-4FC0-96D9-AB9D40D7A5C0.jpeg
    E37AC61C-153C-4FC0-96D9-AB9D40D7A5C0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Wow had to have been a memorable moment for you. Looks like a fun and prospering hunt!!! hhricknmi

Thanks! Yeah that item still has woody debris jammed in the end hole, so I was thinking it had been in a tree.

Edit note:
I just took a closer look, and that is not woody debris jammed in the hole but twisted rope fragments!
They come in different sizes.. if you look closely, you may see a number on it indicating the size.

Nice find yep those silver halves hit hard on the D2 and no mistaking the sound.
The D2 hits the same.
Mark

Does the tent rope tensioner have a patent date? The large fragment sure looks like a broken bell to me. Fun outing for sure, congrats on the big silver!

Good story and good finds! I have one Walker so far, remember that day very well….

Very nice!
I've got so little clad so far this year. I can't even find a single silver coin, not even a buff or even a wheat! A couple tabs are clean and colorful though. :rolleyes:

Does the tent rope tensioner have a patent date? The large fragment sure looks like a broken bell to me. Fun outing for sure, congrats on the big silver!
I don’t know where to look on it to find the date. I don’t see any obvious indications around the dirt and corrosion. A couple users on another forum also think the large piece is part of a bell. Knowing where I found it, that is extremely likely. I am planning on running it by my site contact, as they are having a celebration later in the year and are interested in anything historically significant for the site.