Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best day yet with the Equinox...

sgoss66

I had a good hunt today -- best one yet, with the Equinox.

I acquired permission late last fall to hunt a home built in 1904 in town, and have been there several times, with the CTX. During those hunts, I dug a couple of Barber dimes, a Merc, a Rosie, a number of wheats, a few tokens -- plus a few interesting relic-type items and some clad. However, finds had started to taper off, and so I hadn't returned in awhile. Today, armed with the Equinox, I wanted to see if I could pull out another keeper or two. My focus was actually on hoping to find a gold ring -- so my intent was to dig a variety of tones in the sub-nickel to pull-tab range.

So, I arrived thinking "gold ring," and my very first target dig was this large men's SILVER ring (not gold, but I'll take it!)

[attachment 357321 4-16-18ringrotcrop.JPG]

A short while later, this showed up (I'm almost sure I must have made a rookie mistake, as I think this was in the same plug as a Barber dime I recovered on an earlier hunt with the CTX -- OOPS)...

[attachment 357322 4-16-18Merc1927Drotcrop.JPG]

A 1927-D Merc.

Then, I got a rather odd, deep tone, but it sounded good enough to dig...

[attachment 357323 4-16-18IndianHeads1864and1904rotcrop.JPG]

These were in the same hole -- the first one on-edge, I believe, and then the second still in the wall of the plug. While recovering these two coins, the husband and wife who own the home happened to come over to see how I was doing. They got to see me recover the coins, one at a time. When I pulled the first one (1904), I could see it was the most beautiful Indian I'd ever dug, with a gorgeous verdigris pattern -- and also in exceptional condition. The homeowners were really excited to see me recover the coin, and when I told them what year it was, they said "wow, that's the year our house was built!" So, I knew at that point that the owners needed to have that one -- so I offered it up, which they hesitantly but excitedly accepted! They plan to frame/display it, as part of the history of the home! I then recovered the second -- and all three of us were shocked, as it was dated 1864 -- a Civil War-era Indian!

After talking with the homeowners for a bit, I continued on. I dug another Indian Head (1900), sandwiched between two V-nickel digs (1897 and a "dateless" one). Finally, to end the day, I got a deep signal amongst some trashy lower tones, that I could coax a rather consistent low 20s ID from. I thought maybe it was another deep Indian Head, but the Indians I had dug were generally upper teens, so I was not sure on this one (especially hearing the other nearby trash/iron). So, I removed a deep plug, and sweeping the side of the plug, I could now hear a good high tone, with 25-26-27 ID numbers. SILVER numbers! From about 7" or so, I ended the day on a silver note!

[attachment 357324 4-16-18BarberDime1912Drotcrop.JPG]

1912-D Barber Dime!

I was REALLY impressed with the Equinox on this hunt. I know for CERTAIN I passed over the hole with the two Indian Heads, the 1900 Indian Head, and the Barber Dime, with the CTX, and for whatever reason was not convinced to dig. I also missed the nickels, but that doesn't surprise me, as I still have a hard time with nickels on the CTX. NOT SO, with the Equinox. The ring was shallow, and a penny-type signal, so I probably ignored it, thinking "shallow Memorial." Overall though, a very, very good hunt was facilitated by the Equinox, in an area I thought was "petering out" after being hunted multiple times with the CTX. Since 90 percent of the hunts I've taken with the Equinox have been to my local park that I've cleaned nearly "bare" over the past 7 years, and thus the good coin finds with the Equinox rather sparse, this was a great confidence builder with the still-new-to-me machine.

[attachment 357325 4-16-18Coinsrotcrop.JPG]

[attachment 357326 4-16-18Findsrotcrop.JPG]

Thanks for reading!

Steve

Nice digs...... i always enjoyed finding a spot that would produce coins like that. I used to do field hunting at old home sites...... the coins that got me smiling were a 2 cent piece and 3 cent nickel for some reason.

Awesome hunt Steve. Having the two different detectors will give you two shots at a site every time. They really compliment each other. Now you will have to go back over all the ground that you have covered in the last 7 years (Explorer and 3030) with your new Equinox. It is all brand new ground again. Great report on the EQ! Kinda makes me want to trade in my 7 year old Deus. LOL (if only they had the extra coils and the waterproof headphone...)

PCJ

Great hunt! Very similar to my experience. I used the Deus and had several coils but found my nox could easily do what it does. But with a single coil. Nox has something special going on.

Steve, a very nice hunt indeed!! The equinox seems to be able to find coins others can't see or at least they don't convince you to dig. I've had very similar results with mine. Congrats man! Sweet! Tom

Great hunt with some honest opinions on your individual finds Steve:clapping: The Equinox has some real qualities and has us refocusing our hunts doesn't it!
Laplander

Thanks all! Indeed, this machine has some interesting/rather unique skills. Definitely a very capable unit -- depth-wise, separating targets in dense trash, flexibility, sensitivity to small targets...impressive. But, I'm not surprised; it's what I expected from Minelab.

Joe -- indeed, I have some previously hunted ground to re-hunt! ;)

I cannot emphasize enough how fortunate I feel that I am to have these two machines available to me. I can't imagine two more capable VLF machines, that could complement each other better, for the types of hunting that I do. Coins, relic/military sites, and occasionally the beach, and on a rare occasion, a little gold nugget hunting...I can't think of two machines that I'd rather have. I really do feel that all bases are covered, no matter WHAT I'm hunting, or what type of site I find myself on...

Thanks, Minelab! :thumbup:

Steve

Congrats on the great hunt Steve! Maybe that yard will be the one to cough up that elusive Barber Quarter for you!

Awesome hunt! Congrats, and nice gesture of handing over that beautiful IH to the home owners.

Way to go Steve, that is an excellent hunt in my book!! What are the odds of finding a coin that dated the year the house was built.

Randy -- I am not necessarily pulling coins out of plugs (yet, LOL -- still learning) where I am pulling out nails WITH the coins very often. But, I am digging coins with nails "near" the coins, near enough that both are under the coil and having an effect. I'm still trying to learn when to "reach for" the high tones that need to be "reached for" -- in other words, ones that aren't simply nail falses. If I wait to hear a good, repeatable signal IN WITH the iron, then I often dig something good/non-ferrous. If though I try to just dig a "chirp" in with the iron, it's usually just a nail false, so far...

Steve

Great hunt Steve
I love the very old coins

Nice recovery gor sure. However, the post almostvreads that the Equinox found couns the 3030 passed over. I think the tell tale sign was your comment about digging targets in other areas. I know for a fact, if you had the same motives armed with the 3030, you would have had the same results. Just saying... ML eould have never made a detector in that price range that would kill the sales of the 3030.

Great job , none the less.