Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best day yet with the Equinox...

Well, I love my Minelabs for sure... but... the earth shattering technology the CTX brought didnt make my hunted out spots new again, as was pitched and hyped. Ive been in sales for years and know how marketing works. That and the “ program updates”, made me a buyer... still waiting for the yodates. So with that, Ive learned to see it for myself, before totally buying in.

Agree, Leatherneck!

mcb613 -- I hear you, and understand what you are saying. MOST (POSSIBLY all but maybe one) of those coins were "detectable," I am almost certain, with the 3030. I simply wasn't coaxed into digging, until I hit them with the Equinox. And of course, when you are "learning" a new machine, you tend to dig more "I'm not sure" targets, as you are trying to figure things out. And in addition -- just as you noted -- if you are targeting different ID ranges on a given hunt (as when trying to find gold, as I was hoping to that day), the fact that you are thus digging "different" types of targets, means that "surprises" often result.

I can say this for sure, though -- there have been a couple of coins in that yard that the Equinox alerted me to, that for "some" reason, the CTX did not. I hunt this yard in "sections," and there is a sidewalk that leads from the main sidewalk along the street, up to the front door. This sidewalk divides the front yard into two sections, and the front yard is pretty small. So, when I dig a target in the front yard, at this point, it is a GUARANTEE that I have swept over that very spot multiple times. I know this, because I have carefully "gridded" the two front yard sections now, multiple times, from different directions, with both machines. I cannot, on most of the coins I've dug recently, tell you WHY they were missed with the CTX, only that they WERE. Would a better CTX hunter have dug them? Maybe. But -- one thing I can say, is, it isn't all that hard for me to believe, after using both machines for awhile now, that the Equinox can find coins the CTX can't. They are different, the technology is different...why should it be surprising that a fast machine designed with an eye toward "unmasking" might "unmask" better than the CTX? (And mind you, I LOVE my CTX, and it's going NOWHERE...)

Steve

sgoss66 said:
......I can say this for sure, though -- there have been a couple of coins in that yard that the Equinox alerted me to, that for "some" reason, the CTX did not. ........ I cannot, on most of the coins I've dug recently, tell you WHY they were missed with the CTX, only that they WERE.

Steve

Right there with ya! I pulled a 1909 Barber quarter from a spot I have hunted many times. It was in a public right-of-way of an apartment. I hunted this place (many times) with the E-Trac. I hunted it again many times with the CTX. I was done hunting it until I got the EQX and wanted to see what it could do. This place is as trashy as a landfill. Foil, canslaw and pulltabs everywhere near the surface. I still made some great finds because the EQX gave a small, repeatable hightone amidst the trash.

The EQX and CTX seem to be perfect partners. If I'm hunting a spot and there's not a super heavy amount of trash, I'll be using the CTX (once I'm done with my learning period with the EQX) and super trashy sites will get the EQX treatment. The only problem is now I have twice the gear to carry! :twodetecting:

Jason in Enid said:
......I can say this for sure, though -- there have been a couple of coins in that yard that the Equinox alerted me to, that for "some" reason, the CTX did not. ........ I cannot, on most of the coins I've dug recently, tell you WHY they were missed with the CTX, only that they WERE.

Steve

Right there with ya! I pulled a 1909 Barber quarter from a spot I have hunted many times. It was in a public right-of-way of an apartment. I hunted this place (many times) with the E-Trac. I hunted it again many times with the CTX. I was done hunting it until I got the EQX and wanted to see what it could do. This place is as trashy as a landfill. Foil, canslaw and pulltabs everywhere near the surface. I still made some great finds because the EQX gave a small, repeatable hightone amidst the trash.

The EQX and CTX seem to be perfect partners. If I'm hunting a spot and there's not a super heavy amount of trash, I'll be using the CTX (once I'm done with my learning period with the EQX) and super trashy sites will get the EQX treatment. The only problem is now I have twice the gear to carry! :twodetecting:

Jason -- CONGRATS on the Barber quarter! STILL a coin that eludes me! Super job, saving another one from underneath the trash!

Your experiences mirror mine exactly, and I could NOT agree more, with what you said in your second paragraph. Exactly how I see things as well, having now gained some decent experience/hunt time on both machines. They are a perfect combination, IMO -- FBS and Multi-IQ. There is certainly lots of "overlap" in their abilities, but each one also has an ability to "fill in" with high-end "skill" in certain areas where the other might "lack" just a bit...

Steve

What would be interesting is if you got a hit with the Equinox then set it aside and see if your CTX can hit it. That would be the real proof.

Yes, Tony. What you suggest is something I need to do -- find a site with rather plentiful targets (like that yard was before I hunted it), and then do those comparisons. One day early on when first using the Equinox, I DID do that, in reverse; I hunted with the CTX and marked a few targets I suspected were deep coins, and then ran the Equinox over them while listening, changing/adjusting settings, etc. BUT, I haven't yet done it in reverse -- i.e. find a couple of challenging targets with the Equinox, and see how the CTX behaves over them...

If I can find the "right site" to do this on, I will do it, and then report back. It may take a bit, though, as right now, I'm not sure right this minute what "that site" might be...most of my "go-to" sites are pretty bare, at this point! LOL!

Steve

Having a hunting buddy with you running your CTX while you follow behind with your Nox would do the trick !!! I use to grid beach and park sections off that my buddy and I hunted together.......This is how I ended up getting an ETrac !!! My Soveriegn GT was no slouch mind you.....and should never have sold it !!! Every detector has it’s strengths and weaknesses....Jim

Great digs!