Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My best two hunts of the year - Big Silver!

I have not been out nearly as much this year as I would like to. School has been keeping me quite busy so I haven't found much. The last two hunts I've had have been pretty good though. A couple of weeks ago, I had a free Saturday so I went for a drive to see if I could find a good house to hunt. After a couple of unsuccessful yards, I finally found a good one. I only had a couple of hours to hunt it but the owner, Mark, was nice enough and said I could come back whenever I wanted. My first target rang up as 12-44, but came out as silver quarter. I wasn't suspecting that, thus the autograph right across his face. I like those kind of surprises though. I only had time to do a 40 ft. path through the yard because there were so many targets. I ended up finding the rosie on my last dig and a dozen wheats in between, mostly '40s and '50s. Here's a shot of the silver:

[attachment 246390 DSC02145-1.jpg]

I've never found that many coins in such a short distance. I only covered about 1/8 of the yard by the time I had to leave so I was excited to go back again. We got out of school early this past Monday so I decided to try the house again. Mark wasn't home so I hunted the yard across the street. I found the 1907 injun and a couple of wheats. Considering I had only ever found 8 other injuns, I was pretty excited to find another. Mark never got home by the time I finished so I drove around for a bit until I found another likely looking house. Owner gave permission and on my third swing I found my second best pocket spill, a 1905 injun and 6 teen wheats. From the 12 o'clock position going clockwise: '10, '11-D, '14-S, '16-D, '19-S, and '18-D.

[attachment 246391 DSC02150-1.jpg]

I continued to pull old wheats out of a 10'x14' area so I gridded it twice. I found an 1887 injun too, which is my new oldest coin. By this point in the hunt, I was happy with what I'd found. I'd never found three injuns in one hunt before. There was still a lot of real estate to cover so I kept going. I swung under an old bush and got a solid 12-47 at about six inches. I was excited to finally find some silver. I cut the plug and immediately could pick it up with my propointer. I didn't want to scratch it in case it was old so I carefully pulled out some dirt, then some more, then some more. I finally popped a big clod out an saw silver in the hole. I got down close and could see a pointed eagle wing and thought it might be a Barber half. Then I realized it was a lot bigger than a half and got really excited. This is what I pulled out:

[attachment 246392 DSC02129-1.jpg] [attachment 246393 DSC02130-1.jpg]

A 1890-S silver dollar! This is my oldest silver. I found a couple more wheats, bring my total for the day to 14, 11 of which were from the teens. I guess next time I have some spare time to hunt, I have two close houses to go back to. Here's a group shot of the days finds. Thanks for reading!

[attachment 246394 DSC02137-1.jpg]

Wow Jason! Way to go man! That is some very good use of your detecting time! If that is your first Morgan, welcome to the club! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

Silver doesnt grow on trees it grown on bushes.Nice coins and sweet dollar.Thanks for the great story

The detail on the Silver Dollar is fantastic. You'd be hard pressed to know that it was buried for many years. Big congrats on the SD and other coins.

Your Morgan Dollar is one fantastic looking coin Jason !
Congrats ! :beers:

Excellent!! Sounds like you have some great yards to hunt!! That dollar is a beauty!! Congrats!!

Neil

Thanks guys. I'm still shocked that I pulled that coin. I didn't clean it with anything other than water. I guess I'm lucky because I found another Morgan two summers ago right after I got my etrac. They're out there, you just have to knock on the right door.

Yes, the homeowner saw it. Her stipulation was that I show her everything I found. She watched me dig the pocket spill and was pretty impressed that there were that many old coins in her yard. We talked about how neat it would be to find some old silver. Right after I dug the dollar, I knocked on the door and asked, "Would you like to see the coolest coin I've ever found?" She and her son came out and she gasped when I opened my hand. I rinsed it off and they took a bunch of pictures of it on their phones. She said if I found something that was worth thousands we could split that but that I could keep the dollar. She said all she wanted was pictures of everything when I finished the yard. I'll probably give her one of the injuns and some of the old wheats.

I'm going to dental school in Utah.

I had to smile at your finds again. That's 2 Morgans for you, huh? Another reason to smile. Have fun at Dental School.

[attachment 246408 teeth.jpg]

NebTrac

Well, Jason, it looks like you sure had some fun. I'm especially impressed that you weren't afraid to ring doorbells. I still haven't done that here in NY ~ I really wish I had a good "what's in it for you" reply ready. ~ Suggestions? ~

Rob (MickTwin)

Dream find Jason - I really like the way you showed it to the homeowner - very classy:thumbup:

Wow!!! I would love to find a silver dollar of any kind!

That was a nice day with the detector.