Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My CTX is completly broken after 1 year.

I read somewhere that you don't do the USB mod anymore to the CTX. Any more comments on this?

duggr said:
I read somewhere that you don't do the USB mod anymore to the CTX. Any more comments on this?

Yes Duggr, correct I don't do the USB mod in Frogmaster#3 video anymore. Didn't had any leak caused by this mod, but I use a different technique that I will post on youtube as soon as autumn (and rain) will come. I use thread sealant for the USB cap + wateproof motor grease (for outboard engine for example) to fill in the gap between the cap and the screen. I don't use anymore an oring. Did nearly 40 dives approx and I fell confident with this new mod.

"Frogmaster approved " :bouncy:

After 32 years of diving both scuba and commercial with drysuit and helmet I've used a ton of different underwater equipment. I know lots of people water hunt with the CTX and dive with it but after looking over the design I consider my CTX rainproof. I don't use it in the water, I know its a touchy subject and if you feel safe thats your choice, mine is staying on dry land.

wvrick said:
After 32 years of diving both scuba and commercial with drysuit and helmet I've used a ton of different underwater equipment. I know lots of people water hunt with the CTX and dive with it but after looking over the design I consider my CTX rainproof. I don't use it in the water, I know its a touchy subject and if you feel safe thats your choice, mine is staying on dry land.

I don't feel it's a touchy subject..just sharing my little experience on this detector. I dive with it at least 2 times a week since to years now and I share your opinion regarding the design. On the other hand, if your are used to "real & professional" diving equipment, which multi frequency detector do you recommend?

Personally I use Excalibur(s), CTX and Aquascan (Pulse Induction) + Remote Operated Vehicule

355624rovexcaready.jpg

I got faulty coil and lower shaft replaced for FREE after 3 years (Bought my CTX in Lithuania with 2 years warranty). Received rubber bits to hold lower shaft better in place for free too. Minelab service in Ireland is superb!

For diving I like the Excalibur II, IMO is a great choice. I do wish the CTX would have been designed a little better for underwater and saltwater use. The latches could have been a metal latch design and the USB could have had a better metal waterproof and metal cap with o-ring. Even where the case bolts together would have been a improvement. At 10' its not much pressure at less than 1 atmosphere but with loose swimwear its like a accident waiting to happen.

I see lots of people using them, and your videos as well frogmaster and enjoy them. You seem to have good luck with modding it and I'd love to see it in a real underwater model rated for 100'. I think that will come before long. I just keep thinking about the impact of a wave if you're in the surf and it jarring the detector enough to leak.

HH Rick

wvrick said:
For diving I like the Excalibur II, IMO is a great choice. I do wish the CTX would have been designed a little better for underwater and saltwater use. The latches could have been a metal latch design and the USB could have had a better metal waterproof and metal cap with o-ring. Even where the case bolts together would have been a improvement. At 10' its not much pressure at less than 1 atmosphere but with loose swimwear its like a accident waiting to happen.

I see lots of people using them, and your videos as well frogmaster and enjoy them. You seem to have good luck with modding it and I'd love to see it in a real underwater model rated for 100'. I think that will come before long. I just keep thinking about the impact of a wave if you're in the surf and it jarring the detector enough to leak.

HH Rick

Cut a 2 inch wide piece out of an old motorcycle tire inter-tube, it becomes a 2 inch wide rubber band that fits around the battery compartment and keeps it locked tight, no chance of accidentally opening it...

I think the most I would ever do with my soon-to-be delivered ctx is creeks (as I live in the center of the US). If I were detecting underwater I'd be using an excal2. As long as it's underwater I will have no qualms about getting it a little wet. After that I'll keep it on land to be safe. HH