Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My First Metal Detecting Videos

nagov said:
By angling the camera down to see the detector screen and coil at the same time.... actually watch the numbers and target trace while you are swinging....that's what I meant. You did it at one point in one of the video's.... I just thought it would be nice to see all the time.... but you WILL never satisfy everyone so don't worry, just keep up the good work!

Cliff

Thanks for the details. I'll try to do that more often although when I am using Manual it tends to not consistently show TIDs until I switch to Auto. Target Trace works wonders for showing the TID though in either mode.
Also, yes people are different and so are their preferences. I am listening to you guys because the suggestions seem reasonable. Can I do it all at once? I am not to sure about that one...... :lol:

GKMan said:
What I was talking about regarding the noise from the detector was when he was digging with the shovel and we were just listening to whatever signal was generated from the metal in that as he moving to shovel to dig his hole.

Maybe switching from Manual to Auto while doing a dig will minimize some of the noise or knocking the sensitivity waaay down for each dig. I will give that a try and hopefully it isn't to aggravating to keep doing that.

Remember, there's no right or wrong way to video a hunt. I try not to overthink it when I'm videoing my hunts. I kinda takes away from the fun of it. I see some guys that have to have it perfect to the point of doing multiple takes to get one scene done. Not me, I just keep on going when I mess up. Keep it real and have fun doing it. So far you're doing great. BTW, what program are you using to edit your videos? I like how yours are done. Joe

Yes, that is true and I can see how the fun will be kept down from trying to be perfect. I figure when you go out there, you can have a positive mindset or a negative one. With me these adjustments may come natural with practice. I just have to try to keep a positive mindset when doing it. If it gets to aggravating I am the type to say "Screw it" then keep doing things the old way just to keep it enjoyable for myself. If whatever it is that is not working then I would repeat the process until it works and is enjoyable.

I am using Vegas Pro 12. There are still a lot of things I don't know about in using that program. It is a complex program with a lot of potential.

You are very welcome. I can not predict the future but I feel as if the way in which you metal det. you are bound to find more things in the near future.
I hope you come across items like these attachments..
Good luck and happy hunt​
..:bounty:

I would love to come across those items!!! :super: It is almost as if you are suggesting what I will be finding. Those will be on my radar, :look: especially the Half Dime! Oh, and yes the middle picture you can't buy with money. One of the best things about detecting is enjoying the time you do it. :thumbup: Hopefully me finding something like that half dime and buffalo nickel gets caught on camera. It is a given that the memorable moments will be. Thanks.

surfman said:
Remember, there's no right or wrong way to video a hunt. I try not to overthink it when I'm videoing my hunts. I kinda takes away from the fun of it. I see some guys that have to have it perfect to the point of doing multiple takes to get one scene done. Not me, I just keep on going when I mess up. Keep it real and have fun doing it. So far you're doing great. BTW, what program are you using to edit your videos? I like how yours are done. Joe

Good comment surfman, I look with envy sometimes at the "professional" videos of some of the posters, almost like a TV show. DrTones in particular does such a great job. I post my videos mainly to show the fun we are having. Not great technical shooting but we do laugh a lot! I hope that comes through. Looking forward to more videos.

Thanks man. I like where the GoPro is mounted as we can hear the detector sounds and then you tell us what the TID's are. Hearing the detector chirping while you are digging is a little much but I don't see how you can avoid it as you are out in front so we can see you digging.
what video editing program are you using?
how did you get it so your finds can be shown over the background in the video? that it cool but it probably takes some time to do.
I got a GoPro too so I hope that I can get some detecting videos too ( if I can ever get out to detect. I am in Western NY and there is still much snow on the ground) so watching you is as good as it gets for me for now so thanks again...

A-Storm, hunting at night looks like fun. I may try attaching my Brunton LED headlamp hehind my CTX display unit aimed at the coil.
The battery life is crazy forever and bright as day on high.

Also, I wonder if a right shoulder mounted GoPro would be able to catch the screen, coil and then the target recovery without too much fiddling with it between actions.
Maybe attach it to your right side backpack strap up on a mount lifting it up near your shoulder?

I have a GoPro that the wife purchased for me to record off my shore kayak fishing with. It does an awesome job with extreme detail, but I hate the editing part.
I am not that patient with the editing. Wish the wife was, then I could record - she could edit. Yeah, that's not going to happen. :(

Great job on your vids though. Good stuff.

martygene said:
Thanks man. I like where the GoPro is mounted as we can hear the detector sounds and then you tell us what the TID's are. Hearing the detector chirping while you are digging is a little much but I don't see how you can avoid it as you are out in front so we can see you digging.
what video editing program are you using?
how did you get it so your finds can be shown over the background in the video? that it cool but it probably takes some time to do.
I got a GoPro too so I hope that I can get some detecting videos too ( if I can ever get out to detect. I am in Western NY and there is still much snow on the ground) so watching you is as good as it gets for me for now so thanks again...

You are welcome. I know how you feel. New Jersey wasn't fun for me with how long the snow stayed on the ground. It is probably the same in your area. I try to make it as real as possible including showing people like you there is no snow here. :poke:

The video editing program is Vegas Pro 12.
It does take time to show the pictures like I do at the end. What I do is take the pictures of the items and open them up in GIMP. I then select the actual items using one of GIMPs' tools then cut it out. After that I paste it into a knew project after deleting the layers and adding a transparent layer. The key is to center it wherever you want after pasting than save as an .png file. Unlike jpg, png supports transparency.

Hopefully the snow thaws soon so we can see your videos too.
Thanks.

INSAYN said:
A-Storm, hunting at night looks like fun. I may try attaching my Brunton LED headlamp hehind my CTX display unit aimed at the coil.
The battery life is crazy forever and bright as day on high.

Also, I wonder if a right shoulder mounted GoPro would be able to catch the screen, coil and then the target recovery without too much fiddling with it between actions.
Maybe attach it to your right side backpack strap up on a mount lifting it up near your shoulder?

I have a GoPro that the wife purchased for me to record off my shore kayak fishing with. It does an awesome job with extreme detail, but I hate the editing part.
I am not that patient with the editing. Wish the wife was, then I could record - she could edit. Yeah, that's not going to happen. :(

Great job on your vids though. Good stuff.

Hunting at night is pretty fun. Just stay in the good neighborhoods. More people get curious of what you are doing at night than they would in the day, but generally no where near as many people will mess with you unless you are in one of those neighborhoods. I use a Princeton Tech Headlamp and it has amazing battery life too. Make sure you keep it on a lower light setting than I did. The reason is that if you look in my videos, my headlamp was blinding the camera when I shined the light over the finds.

Not to sure of how I would go about mounting it that way with my current mount. The clamp might would be a big obstacle. I did figure out how to keep it mounted like it is, show the screen while showing the coil/digging area, and keeping the chattering out the picture.

I love fishing too. Recording some fishing may very well be a possibility this summer. It would be nice for you to get some of those big catches on camera so everyone won't be calling them fish stories. It makes it a bit more believable.

Thanks.

Great job. Digging and shooting is tough. Be sure to use easily removable camera grips to get that cam away from the detector noise. Also, take a second to turn your threshold down as to prevent having to talk over it. It's tough man. Filming it and getting right while trying to hunt takes a long time. You have to slow way down and get the shot/audio. A yard that should take a couple of hours to just detect can easily take a couple of days to film right. That is if you're into producing. One thing I would say is to shorten up the intro into no more than 15 seconds of the same graphic. Keep things moving, moving moving. Your viewers are always just one click away from leaving your video. Get them hooked right away. Better than my first try by a long shot!:clapping:

\"Dr.Tones\" said:
Great job. Digging and shooting is tough. Be sure to use easily removable camera grips to get that cam away from the detector noise. Also, take a second to turn your threshold down as to prevent having to talk over it. It's tough man. Filming it and getting right while trying to hunt takes a long time. You have to slow way down and get the shot/audio. A yard that should take a couple of hours to just detect can easily take a couple of days to film right. That is if you're into producing. One thing I would say is to shorten up the intro into no more than 15 seconds of the same graphic. Keep things moving, moving moving. Your viewers are always just one click away from leaving your video. Get them hooked right away. Better than my first try by a long shot!:clapping:

Yeah, the camera grips are pretty tough. Maybe I will show more shots of the camera angled down toward the holes so people can see whatever it is in them. With that my main problem was I had no idea of how close to actually hold the camera to the area of interest. I wish I had your skill level, but of course I hunt solo. The people I know who detect are really not into it like me or rather most of us here. The intro is something else. I have to find the right type of music to suit metal detecting and then the length of it plays a big role. If I decided to cut it short with just fifteen seconds then it would be "off" with the music I have now. It would be easier if I knew how to produce my own music. Things would be way different on that front. Would you suggest making my digs shorter by your comment on "moving"?

Oh, I also figured the view of the woods would spark some imagination of the possibilities. At the end the finds appear from the path. Maybe I am using to much of my imagination! I have ideas on improving that portion too using even more of my imagination. ;)

Thanks.

Nah, I was just saying the keep it moving thing in general. Nothing you did in particular. Just trying to help you keep viewers. The music is tough. I'm not sure how much music your software has on it but there are usually several versions of the same song in different durations. I make about 25% of my video music just because music is hobby of mine. It's actually how I got into video. The programs are very similar and I've been recording music for years. Made it an easy crossover.

Okay I gotcha. Thanks for showing the concern. That will be on my list of things to check in to. You do a good job and share the experience. :thumbup:

Thanks jerseyjim. I have since recorded some more and took some of the advice here. The advice I took of showing the detecting screen is not going to work well if I show the screen the whole time. Everything but the screen looks black when doing that. Maybe panning the camera down to the screen briefly will work. The problem is that the camera focuses on the bright screen while voiding out the lower light in the background.