Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first V nickel!!!!

Ronstar

Jeff got bored and and forced me to go back up to the AdLawn…….. really…….oh ok.
I put the F75 on boost and worked the area where I got my first IH, my first Buffalo and several older wheats. We spent close to 2:30 hrs scanning, he where he was this morning and me in that area described above. I finally found a clad dime, a nickel and a quarter. About to call it quits when I hit a deep dime/quarter signal at 8-9”. So far chasing that type of signal has only produced trash.
I finally pulled this thing out snd honestly, I thought if was a knock out plug of some type. I caught just a faint glimpse of an outline so grabbed the loupe and was able to read 1908 on the bottom. Whaaaaat? A little spit and gentle rubbing on the jeans and I could see the V on the back!!! My first V nickel!!!!!
Get home and clean it up as best I could and its actually a 1906.

Attachments

• CEA58DF6-4689-42A6-8800-7A44CDD6EB2C.jpeg
    CEA58DF6-4689-42A6-8800-7A44CDD6EB2C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
  • 05C69FBD-8F82-4FDB-BE83-8912608D9425.jpeg
    05C69FBD-8F82-4FDB-BE83-8912608D9425.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Nice job most I find are toast I’m still looking for a shield nickel...
Mark

Congratulations on your 1st “V” Nickel !!
Your coin is in nice condition compared to the ones I have found.

Yeah, congrats on your 1st V nickel. Nice condition, too, for a dug one. I can't recall when and where I got several of my so called bucket list coins anymore, but I do my 1st V...an old Mn fairgrounds...and I believe, with a White's BFO Coinmaster detector. Anyway, good hit. HH Jim Tn

congrats....nice coin.... High signal for a nickel....assume you re-checked the hole for friends ....must have been something throwing the nickel id off near it or around it.

Below the physical coin was something still making the Garrett vibrate. I finally got down to a larger chunk of rusty metal that I couldnt remove. Fisher didnt react to anything other than a oneway 98-99 which I’m pretty confident is the halo on iron.

I forgot to mention prior……
I was running boost with sensitivity at 70. There is an area where we get a good dose of EMI, first I try reducing Sens to 60 then 50 and if it persists then I try changing the Freq setting. With the nickel I was getting the high chirps from the EMI but was able to get it locked on the nickel/iron chunk. Im not 100% sure the nickel wasn’t a surprise guest here. Could the iron increase the nickel reading? There most likely is more silver here, its just navigating the scattered EMI readings and the iron halo readings thats the game.

I forgot to mention prior……
I was running boost with sensitivity at 70. There is an area where we get a good dose of EMI, first I try reducing Sens to 60 then 50 and if it persists then I try changing the Freq setting. With the nickel I was getting the high chirps from the EMI but was able to get it locked on the nickel/iron chunk. Im not 100% sure the nickel wasn’t a surprise guest here. Could the iron increase the nickel reading? There most likely is more silver here, its just navigating the scattered EMI readings and the iron halo readings thats the game.
ok...iron can do anything to a coins id....remember my nickel testing....
anyway...it was a great find.

I know the iron will mask silver coin ID (as with others) but will it increase the lower numbers to higher numbers? I have had quarters read lower when in proximity to iron but no experience in that scenario raising numbers.

I know the iron will mask silver coin ID (as with others) but will it increase the lower numbers to higher numbers? I have had quarters read lower when in proximity to iron but no experience in that scenario raising numbers.
I am talking minelab etrac numbers now , but iron will hit 35 ferrous and 45 to 50 conductive numbers...throw in a nickel and you will get ferrous numbers like 28 ferrous and 40 conductive .... 29 ferrous and 42 conductive ...30 ferrous and 43 conductive.

A silver dime reads 45-46 conductive ....

so you nickel in iron would be a penny /dime signal on an etrac and a very iffy signal.....only the tone would have given it a dig me target.

I am talking minelab etrac numbers now , but iron will hit 35 ferrous and 45 to 50 conductive numbers...throw in a nickel and you will get ferrous numbers like 28 ferrous and 40 conductive .... 29 ferrous and 42 conductive ...30 ferrous and 43 conductive.

A silver dime reads 45-46 conductive ....

so you nickel in iron would be a penny /dime signal on an etrac and a very iffy signal.....only the tone would have given it a dig me target.
Now say it is a clad quarter, a larger target, it will be easier to tell as a quarter in iron will give the usual 46-47 conductive numbers but the ferrous will be in low 20's or even teens...17-46....24-47.....a very diggable target... the higher ferrous number means either a deeper coin or iron in the hole with the quarter. JMHO info.

Last edited:
I'm not finding much here in WV but I'm enjoying how well you guys are doing in Idaho, keeps me going, Ron, you and Jeff are living the good life.
Another nice find with that V- Nickel, that's another coin on my bucket list.

I'm not finding much here in WV but I'm enjoying how well you guys are doing in Idaho, keeps me going, Ron, you and Jeff are living the good life.
Another nice find with that V- Nickel, that's another coin on my bucket list.
I’m gonna bury a few V-nickels for you too

Every F 75 I've owned has up averaged deep nickels and even the various tabs typically up into the low cent dime range with bouncy numbers. Any nickel I dig past 6" is a surprise. I find a lot of nickels with the 75 that reads as nickel, but all are shallower. HH jim tn