Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My ideas for a new Excalibur design.

crazyman

I do 3D design and modeling in my spare time and thought I would design a new Excabilur with new features that I would like to see in the future. It's basically a modified waterproof Sovereign GT. The mode change or pinpoint switch is just the ticket for those that like to use reverse discrimination as when set to all metal mode on the control box the button when pressed switches to discriminate mode.

I like it, and I like the details in that you even appear (by it's texture) to be using a carbon fiber shaft. I'd get rid of the stock foam hand grip though and use something much more comfortable and also made from rubber so it doesn't flake off or hold moisture.

PS- Oops, see that you did say it is indeed a carbon fiber shaft. That's an incredible job.

I have to admit....that is pretty sweet. Why did I just buy an Excalibur II :cry:

I'd rather see minelab sell the unit that size and have a hip mount for it than fart around with that tube.

I admire your attention to detail. The robust arm cuff with a buckle strap, carbon-fiber upper rod, the headphones with light weight band and adjustment locks. I like the clean, solid look of the control box too. Certainly carries over the quality build that Minelabs are known for. I want one!

That'll never fly! Too practical. Why would Minelab want to cut there profits and sell a detector like that when they can sell us (2) detectors.:thumbup:
Man that thing is beee -u -ti -ful :please:
Cal

Nice! :clapping:

Looks like an Excal in a CZ package with the straight shaft set up both need!

I totally agree....

But crazyman...
You did real well.. that looks very very nice..:cheers:

muggsc said:
That'll never fly! Too practical. Why would Minelab want to cut there profits and sell a detector like that when they can sell us (2) detectors.:thumbup:
Man that thing is beee -u -ti -ful :please:
Cal

Deal me in Crazyman. You did a great job on designing and staying in touch with the detectors needs. Minelab should seriously look at your design. Thanks for sharing. HH :minelab:

IF Minelab would just make that like you modeled and have the control knobs waterproofed like on the CZs it would be sweet. Might consider having the battery compartment totally seperated from the electronics like on the CZ also. You can flood the battery compartment on the CZ and the water cannot get into the electrical circuit area.

That pinpoint button/switch on the Cz-21 is not a 'push' button. It's a solid brass piece. Somehow touching that causes the machine to switch to pinpoint mode. Fisher even includes a phony sticky back button you can put on top of the flat brass piece that imitates the feel of the momentary contacts on the E-Trac and such. It does nothing except allows your finger to feel the push of a button even though it's not doing the switching. With that solid pinpoint button all they had to do was get one through the hull fitting waterproof and dont' have to worry about keeping it watertight after repeated pushes wearing the seals down.

When Tesoro finally get's their waterproof connectors working again, maybe they can sell them to ML and then the ML water machines will be able to switch coils like you can, now, on the Tesoros. Might not be a bad idea to sell a few to the Fisher folks as well.
jim

Great job! I think minelab would sell a ton of those especially if they used less iron mask as you say or a control over it like the explorer/etrac have.

Neil

Brilliant design. I hope ML get in touch with you to accept the updates you have suggested. I'm in the market when it goes into production.

(Repost from Sovereign forum...)

Crazy, the meter needs to be able to mount on top of the hand grip (love it this way on mine) and of course a remote PP switch hanging down like on any normal detector from this planet. Still amazes me that Minelab can take such advanced alien technology and stuff it into an old Volkswagen van type of design. Not that the rest of the machine isn't fine, if not a bit heavy stock. Remote PP, meter ability to mount on top of the grip. Sorry if I missed you put these features in. I like your carbon fiber shaft. My Whites lower carbon fiber tall man rod has really dropped the weight of my land rig as well.

Let's not forget a lipo rechargeable (lightest) or at least a good nimh pack with about 2500ma capacity. It would still weigh less than the current Sub A monster cells they put in the current rechargeable pack and give you more run time. Right now I'm running a 750ma 3 cell Rhino lipo in my GT and I swear it weighs about 1/5th the weight of the standard rechargeable 1000ma pack the machine came with.

While you would think you would get longer run time out of the 1000ma stock nimh or nicad pack the lipo holds it's voltage high to the very end of the drain cycle where as a nimh or nicad or any conventional shelf battery for that matter drops faster in voltage as it drains. Results is I think I'm getting about equal run time to the stock pack before the low battery alarm kicks in. 1 hour charge time as well is not being hard on a lipo.

One last thing I'd add would be an SEF design 12x10 or at least the 11" Pro Coil. Or how about contracting with Sunray to stick an S-12 on them stock? Either one of those three coils would still be a good general use coil, though the current 10" Tornado is a great coil and goes deep, so I guess there's nothing wrong with staying with that.

As I also said I'd like to see the foam stock grip changed to a more comfortable (and lighter) one like I use on my land and water GT rigs. That foam on the stock grip also flakes off and holds moisture.

Short of a remote PP how about at least putting the switches or at least that particular switch on top of the box so it's easier to reach?

Just a few ideas, but if nothing else I already love what you came up with. Huge improvement over whoever is designing the hardware at Minelab. I swear the guy must have all his experience building heavy duty mine detectors for the army or something that can hold up to dirty/hard conditions. If anything you can't say these Minelabs aren't built like tanks. Heavy, but strong.

I think it would be great for wet or very shallow hunting but I don't think I would want to swing that box submerged all day

You could incorporate the meter on top of the handle with pushbuttons on the face for all metal/disc in centre(tesoro style) and a small rocker on either side of it, one for sens up/down and the other iron mask up/down, the rest of the controls asis on the box

The box could be mounted on an optional extension at the back of the shaft to keep it up out of the water for less drag, or of course you can chest mount that puppy and have no drag issues.