Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My last post

~ACE~

Hey folks. As the title reads, this is my last post. This hobby has become an addiction for me, and has caused great grief in my home life. I am hanging it up. It was fun, but its got to come to an end, for the sake of my family and friends. Best of luck to you all. Cheers
Chris

Sad to hear this, but just because you need to curtail detecting for a while does not necessarily mean you cant maintain some relationships here...

I have to say I hate to hear that. Yes it is an addictive hobby and I hope down the road you can get back into it. I wish you well and hope to see you on here again.

Very sorry to hear this...I DO know what you are saying though...I wish you much peace and happiness in whatever happens. For those of us truly addicted to this sport, its an eye opener. You are a good guy to take the time to let us know...and to put your priorities in order of importance. :clapping: I hope you find something constructive to fill the void that I am sure detecting will leave. Perhaps someday in the future you will get back into it.
Mud

Ah man. I am so sorry! I would hate to have to make that decision. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out. Like the others said, maybe one day you will be able to enjoy the hobby again.

Dude! You don't have to go out every day, night, holiday etc.
Yes, its an addiction but, a manageable one.

some woman dont like any competition, but then i am single so i detect.

Noooooooooooo!

Ace - I commend you for doing the right thing.You notice it is an issue and you are taking care of home life which is priceless. It is an addiction just like any other. I agree with Elton - take a break. Get things straightened out / put things in priority(which you are obviously doing) then come back to detecting. In the mean time, take your detector and just "tuck" it away some place in your home. Take care - Jim

I used to go out detecting just about every waking moment of my life. And my wife never minded because she knew she would get any "bling" I brought home. But I could start to see the disappointment in my kids eyes when I told them I was going out "digging holes" again, as my youngest daughter would call it. So now, I always make sure that part of my days off are spent with them. They grow up right before your eyes ..

I have also come to understand that some guys in this hobby just naturally have all the luck and all the time in the world to go out and find everything we can only dream of digging up. I am no longer jealous or envious .. I just understand that they are either retired or too lazy to get a job and have lots of time on their hands. The trick is to be happy with your lot in life .. I have finally coming to grips with that .. family first, detecting second. !!

Good luck Ace ... I am sure we will see you again. As Michael Corleone famously said in The Godfather III .. "Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in !!" :laugh:

This is said to here, i was with a women years ago she never liked my hobby, but you have to save time for family im know longer with that women happy to say.
Ive been marred know for 11 yaers and happy, my wife loves what i do, but i keep a balence i go out on weekends only, from 7am-11 am and the rest of the time
Is for us it works well...I hope things work out well for ya and, still do some of this great hobby...good luck....

This sucks! Love your posts, but good strategic decision. Personally, I'd be out 24/7 if I could....wife tolerates the sport, cuz I promise to be home in time to make the kids breakfast. Means a lot of 0430 wakeups to get on site at first light. As long as the pancakes are hot on the table by 0830, I'm safe! She doesn't understand it, but she sure got a good laugh out of the last hunt...came home waist to ankles in chiggers. She thought that was hilarious. (psssst....still worth it!). Good luck, Ace...wish you and your family the best. I gotta get back to the cortisone cream now....got a hunt in two days.

Peace

Now I'm not sure who's made your hobby into some pariah but it sure sounds familiar as some buddies of mine who are now recently divorced. In my house I'm constantly criticized for of all things drinking too much soda. Haven't made an adult beverage around here which would make me give credence to someone complaining. But soda? Detecting? All seems pretty harmless to me. Maybe you have a problem but unless you have a trained psychiatrist in your house I'm kind of doubting someone can make these kind of conclusions and be accurate about them.

Good luck on whatever you have to do. Just remember that if you're miserable that's not good and if the person complaining is already miserable then they just want company...

I'm hoping that you are quiting for the right reason.

G..

Wow, never knew someone could be so addicted to the hobby that it gets in the way of family life. I mean, I enjoy the hobby, but I can go months without going mding and being content with it. Then again, I have school and a job, as well as other hobbies that I enjoy. Point is, find balance.

A friend told me that I should clear up my reasoning, so people don't get the wrong idea. I work full time, and do a fair amount of overtime because I am supporting the whole household. My wife is in school as well as my son. I only got out for a few hours a week, and one full 8 hr day every two weeks. Everyone knows that the hobby entails more than just swinging the coil in your back yard. There is research, permission, etc. To be clear, I always looked after at least 80% of the housework, yard work, helping my wife with her studies as well as my sons homework. Here is where the problem is....I found a killer site that is producing awesome finds. I take a bit of time to clean up and research my finds, overlay maps, and research the original owner of the land....why?..because I'm a history buff and its intriguing. It does not take up all my time, but I get messages and send messages to friends that comment on my finds, or want to help with research. That's the problem. I'm ok to go out for a couple hours a week, but that's it. If I want a couple hours in that week to research etc, then that's all I get. No detecting. So, she is fine with me going detecting for a couple hours a week, but that's it...no research, no phone calls, no messaging. The time I'm home is to be 100% metal detecting free. Rather than argue or fight, I removed my &%^$# and placed them in her hand. That's the truth, that's how it is...I don't like it one bit, but if that's what momma wants....

You have made ​​a wise decision, I think. We must never neglect our family relationships for this or any other hobby. Our hobbies have to complete our life but not occupy 100%.
I'm also thinking a bit in my own words ...:nerd: