Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Legend is a "DUD"

I want to say for the record, I do not want the fact that I received a defective Nokta Legend metal detector to in any was cast a bad reflection on Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. I received the detector early last week, I put it together and due to rain, I could not take the detector out until this past weekend. I tested the detector over the weekend and noticed that it was defective. I called Bart on Monday and told him about the problem. Bart told me that I could send it in for repairs, or send it to him for a refund. I chose to send the detector to Bart for a refund. Bart has provided me with great customer service.

No, they were specific to the Legend, give him a call or send him an email
That is a very bold statement to make about one model metal detector. Every metal detector is subject to the same interferences. I use mine with cell in front pocket underneath high voltage transmission lines. I have no issues running my Legend with at least 25 sens. I don't recall ever having to detune mine below that level unless I am inside my house. Good luck on your endeavors finding one to your liking. Almost sounds more like buyers remorse. Did you watch a YouTube video telling you that the Legend is inferior to another....

That is a very bold statement to make about one model metal detector. Every metal detector is subject to the same interferences. I use mine with cell in front pocket underneath high voltage transmission lines. I have no issues running my Legend with at least 25 sens. I don't recall ever having to detune mine below that level unless I am inside my house. Good luck on your endeavors finding one to your liking. Almost sounds more like buyers remorse. Did you watch a YouTube video telling you that the Legend is inferior to another....
Buyers remorse yes, after taking it into the field. I watched a ton of videos, waiting on the Legend to arrive.

I received the Legend Pro Pack early last week, but we had a lot of rain, so it was Saturday before I could try it out.

I charged the battery on the Legend and headphones, then did a factory reset,or default, which ever you prefer. I updated from version 1.07, to 1.11. I then did another factory reset. I did this a couple of times during the weekend.

I adjusted the sens, checked ground balance. Checked the settings in the 3 Park modes, and the 3 Field modes, along with the frequency settings, iron filter settings. I also checked the settings in the menu and sub menu.

The 6" coil was extremely chatty and unstable, no matter where I tried it. I bought an LG30, that arrived later in the week, it was not as bad, but still chatty and unstable.

Sunday, I took the Legend to a field, that I know has no EMI, the Legend did better, but still unstable. I laid coins in a row on the ground. The 6" coil and the LG30 would hit the targets, but we're still chatty and would report false targets.

I carry a Bounty Hunter Land Star as a backup. I checked the same areas that I had been over with the Legend. The Land Star was stable, hit every target and no falsing.

From 2000 until 2016, I was passionate about metal detecting, and I probably owned and or used every detector that was available on the market at that time, so I am not knew to metal detecting. Do I think that even Nokta Legend is a defective detector, no. Do I think that the Legend that was sent to me was defective, absolutely.

I made the decision that the Legend will not work for me, so I am going to return it for a refund and move on to another detector. I will find one, or two, that will work for me

Buyers remorse yes, after taking it into the field. I watched a ton of videos, waiting on the Legend to arrive.

I received the Legend Pro Pack early last week, but we had a lot of rain, so it was Saturday before I could try it out.

I charged the battery on the Legend and headphones, then did a factory reset,or default, which ever you prefer. I updated from version 1.07, to 1.11. I then did another factory reset. I did this a couple of times during the weekend.

I adjusted the sens, checked ground balance. Checked the settings in the 3 Park modes, and the 3 Field modes, along with the frequency settings, iron filter settings. I also checked the settings in the menu and sub menu.

The 6" coil was extremely chatty and unstable, no matter where I tried it. I bought an LG30, that arrived later in the week, it was not as bad, but still chatty and unstable.

Sunday, I took the Legend to a field, that I know has no EMI, the Legend did better, but still unstable. I laid coins in a row on the ground. The 6" coil and the LG30 would hit the targets, but we're still chatty and would report false targets.

I carry a Bounty Hunter Land Star as a backup. I checked the same areas that I had been over with the Legend. The Land Star was stable, hit every target and no falsing.

From 2000 until 2016, I was passionate about metal detecting, and I probably owned and or used every detector that was available on the market at that time, so I am not knew to metal detecting. Do I think that even Nokta Legend is a defective detector, no. Do I think that the Legend that was sent to me was defective, absolutely.

I made the decision that the Legend will not work for me, so I am going to return it for a refund and move on to another detector. I will find one, or two, that will work for me
How can you determine that the Legend is not for you when as you said you had "a dud"?-----You may well love a properly working Legend.

I would have done the reset and tried reloading 1.11
A number of people had issues after first loading 1.11
After the second attempt. All was well.

No, they were specific to the Legend, give him a call or send him an email
Your dealer just by virtue of selling the device does not make them an expert. The statement he gave you is very general and applies to literally any device that transmits/receives RF (as all metal detectors do). Obviously it's your choice to not try a replacement, and we're sorry to see you go, maybe you will bump into someone else during a hunt/club event and be able to see what the detector really has to offer.

For the record, I use the wireless headphones and keep my cell phone and keys (2 key fobs with rfid) and a pinpointer on me and rarely have to turn the sensitivity down below 27. I have one area I need to run 24-25 because it is literally next to a navy base with active radar.

So you used it for two days and did many resets, checked everything, no mention of actual settings encountered or what you did to try to cut the noise down, then went to EMI free area (I didn't know there was such a place), and declared it a "dud" to everyone on the forum, and, instead of asking other users how to quiet it down, spent a few days bashing it more. Sounds like you gave it a proper 2 day testing. Good luck with whatever new detector you decide on. I would suggest a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro. It is very resistant to falsing and deeper than your backup. I would recommend against any of the other new SMF detectors because they can be sparky just like the Legend. JMO

So there is apparently two sides to the story here
One he probably is not accustomed to the new “sparky” machines out there and there is the possibility he did actually get one bad “dud” detector
On the other hand i never heard of a dealer saying you can’t use one around ANY emi, cellphones, power lines, cables above or below ground, etc that is just not true and misleading. As picked said there is no “emi free” zone.
I think there is basically a bigger problem and that is communication

I would try one more and see if it is actually a faulty device because lets face it, if that was the case there would be many people saying how bad it is and complaining about the same thing. The opposite is actually true and everyone is saying how great it is.
And then you will know either you had a bad one or you just need to learn it

The Legend was returned, hopefully for a full refund. I will be selecting another detector this week. Weather is great,
So you used it for two days and did many resets, c
I would try one more and see if it is actually a faulty device because lets face it, if that was the case there would be many people saying how bad it is and complaining about the same thing. The opposite is actually true and everyone is saying how great it is.
And then you will know either you had a bad one or you just need to learn it
I sent the Legend back, maybe if I go on a group hunt, someone will have a properly working one and I can see it in action. The way I look at it, I am not going to pay for a brand-new detector, and immediately sending it in for repairs. The manufacture should be doing that before they ship them out. I will buy a Nox 900, or a Deus II this week.

I look at this like as going to a Ford dealership and seeing a brand new Chev sitting on the lot. The Chev has a problem that wasnt expected or otherwise known. Of course the Ford dealer is going to over exaggerate what even the Fords are susceptible to as well. Go to a Chevy dealer and see what they say about Fords……

I am getting a refund, and will be getting a different detector. After spending the weekend with a chatter box, I am going to try a different brand.
I'm curious of you're knowledge on the state of the art machines.
My Legend runs smooth as silk.
Even playing with it in my living room with the wifi TV and two phones running videos. Not a peep.

I think the concern is more about the legend being portrayed as a poor performing detector around emi because of information that he has been told which the opposite is true, it is actually very good performing around emi. Just as good as any other new detector

I'm curious of you're knowledge on the state of the art machines.
My Legend runs smooth as silk.
Even playing with it in my living room with the wifi TV and two phones running videos. Not a peep.
is the battery dead :poke: just kidding with ya 😂