Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Perspective on the Legend

I use my Deus II on the beach, and the Legend on inland hunts. I really like both detectors. I feel each has their own place where they shine. Both seem refined and have fantastic qualities. When they get their bugs worked out it will only get better. šŸ˜

here is my perspective on the Legend which I do own and have used quite a bit,the Legend was ok out of the box, once the 1.05 update was released to us it got a little better but not on beach according to what I seen and read I personally do not detect beaches and most likely never will unless Cali falls off into the pacific, what I seen in the 1.05 update was all good for me and the ground I detect, which ranges from low 80s to extremely mineralized mid 90s on Ground balance numbers, I have also hit some ground that ran 94-98 on GB numbers and was littered with hot rocks the Legend ran moderately stable on the conditions I detected with those GB numbers, but a littered field of hot rocks makes any detector run unstable and not pleasant to use those areas are what I have a Pulse detector for,but I wanted to see how the legend would handle those types of areas, then the 1.06 update was released which for me personally was not good at all, I had differentiating target IDs, just like Calabash showed in his video except had I not seen his video i most likely would not have seen those differentiating IDs simply because I stayed in Multi 1 or 15 KHz most of the time, the differentiating TIDs only occurred when you shut the Legend down in Multi 2 and re booted it back on it was strange to say the least, it also affected my tones simply because when it occurred it would literally throw a dime ID and a quarter ID into different bins and change the tones I had set up, I had a program set up just to detect IDs quarters and higher which means I had everything below 50 notched out when the differentiating IDs would occur a quarter would come in at 44 or 45 which is normally a dime TID, when it would occur you were literally walking past a quarter because of the way I had everything set up with my tone breaks and tone volumes and tone pitch I had it set up to make everything below TID of 50 to sound like garbage, I set it up the way I did because there are days I do not want to or feel like digging every dime and nickel and just want to get quarters or higher, I reported what I was seeing to Dilek and with in two days they came out with the 1.07 update to replace the flawed 1.06, so far with the 1.07 I am loving everything about it, the tones seem clearer, target IDs seem more stable and it seems to run even more quite to me, I also feel the 1.07 has a little more depth then the 1.04 and the 1.05.

The Deus 2 I can not comment on and even if I had one I most definitely would never do a comparison between the Legend and the Deus 2, that's just me though.

I do have friends that have the Equinox 800 and 600 the 800 to me is the only detector that the Legend should be compared to in my mind, because that was Nokta/Macros goal, I will say when my buddies and I detect together I do not and neither do they notice a huge advantage either way the Legend and the Equinox are vary similar in depth, and stability on the ground we detect, the one huge difference which is the one that swayed my decision to purchase the legend is the build quality difference and that one thing alone to me is the huge difference between the Legend and the Equinox 800
if I detected relic dumps I may have very well purchased a Deus 2 but I do not, so the Legend was the logical decision for me, I may sometime in the future have a Deus 2 but that is up in the air rite now, I will also tell you that I am also considering purchasing a second Legend Pro Pack because I like the legend that much, I want my wife to have one to use when we go out, for me it would be easier to teach her if she had the same machine in her hands as I am using

sorry for the long rant
I am getting so much noise in park mode with the latest update. I did not see that before

here is my perspective on the Legend which I do own and have used quite a bit,the Legend was ok out of the box, once the 1.05 update was released to us it got a little better but not on beach according to what I seen and read I personally do not detect beaches and most likely never will unless Cali falls off into the pacific, what I seen in the 1.05 update was all good for me and the ground I detect, which ranges from low 80s to extremely mineralized mid 90s on Ground balance numbers, I have also hit some ground that ran 94-98 on GB numbers and was littered with hot rocks the Legend ran moderately stable on the conditions I detected with those GB numbers, but a littered field of hot rocks makes any detector run unstable and not pleasant to use those areas are what I have a Pulse detector for,but I wanted to see how the legend would handle those types of areas, then the 1.06 update was released which for me personally was not good at all, I had differentiating target IDs, just like Calabash showed in his video except had I not seen his video i most likely would not have seen those differentiating IDs simply because I stayed in Multi 1 or 15 KHz most of the time, the differentiating TIDs only occurred when you shut the Legend down in Multi 2 and re booted it back on it was strange to say the least, it also affected my tones simply because when it occurred it would literally throw a dime ID and a quarter ID into different bins and change the tones I had set up, I had a program set up just to detect IDs quarters and higher which means I had everything below 50 notched out when the differentiating IDs would occur a quarter would come in at 44 or 45 which is normally a dime TID, when it would occur you were literally walking past a quarter because of the way I had everything set up with my tone breaks and tone volumes and tone pitch I had it set up to make everything below TID of 50 to sound like garbage, I set it up the way I did because there are days I do not want to or feel like digging every dime and nickel and just want to get quarters or higher, I reported what I was seeing to Dilek and with in two days they came out with the 1.07 update to replace the flawed 1.06, so far with the 1.07 I am loving everything about it, the tones seem clearer, target IDs seem more stable and it seems to run even more quite to me, I also feel the 1.07 has a little more depth then the 1.04 and the 1.05.

The Deus 2 I can not comment on and even if I had one I most definitely would never do a comparison between the Legend and the Deus 2, that's just me though.

I do have friends that have the Equinox 800 and 600 the 800 to me is the only detector that the Legend should be compared to in my mind, because that was Nokta/Macros goal, I will say when my buddies and I detect together I do not and neither do they notice a huge advantage either way the Legend and the Equinox are vary similar in depth, and stability on the ground we detect, the one huge difference which is the one that swayed my decision to purchase the legend is the build quality difference and that one thing alone to me is the huge difference between the Legend and the Equinox 800
if I detected relic dumps I may have very well purchased a Deus 2 but I do not, so the Legend was the logical decision for me, I may sometime in the future have a Deus 2 but that is up in the air rite now, I will also tell you that I am also considering purchasing a second Legend Pro Pack because I like the legend that much, I want my wife to have one to use when we go out, for me it would be easier to teach her if she had the same machine in her hands as I am using

sorry for the long rant
I have a Deus2 and it isn't all that great, I like my legend and I use it at the beach, no different then the Deus2

I have the Deus and it is still a fantastic detector in Iron infested sites, inland. I recently purchased both the Legend and the Deus II. I feel that these will one day also be great detectors. Both have issues that need to be worked out. I'm really looking forward to the future updates. For right now I have no comments on either. I'll save that for when the bugs get worked out. Working in an aerospace avionics environment, obviously nothing went out our door unless we knew that we knew that there were no issues. To me at this point it just seems frustrating. I don't think they should be in a hurry to throw updates out there until all the issues have been resolved. There is certainly enough customer feedback to bring all this to their attention. At least by the time they get it all fixed, I'll be able to purchase the additional coils.šŸ¤£

I'm not a beach hunter so I cannot comment on the Legend performance on the sand. All I can say the Legend has found more silver for me in the month of March than any other machine I have used. I'm not giving up on my F75, it's my go to machine until I learn the Legend.

In todayā€™s world everyone wants what they want yesterday !!..These companies that supply our goods are forced to send out products in beta form to get the jump on the competition and to quiet down their user baseā€¦.To me, the detector that gets the nod is the detector made by a company that LISTENS to their client baseā€¦.This being said Nokta surely is at the top of the pile, and so is XPā€¦..Price depends on the userā€¦.If you have a guy that hunts school yards, and gets an occasional silver coin, he/she isnā€™t going to purchase a Deus 2ā€¦. On the other hand, the guy that hits the beach and pulls gold jewelry on a regular basis will hands down buy a Deus 2ā€¦..Chances are that the guy that buys the Deus 2 for the beach will pay off his/her detector faster !!

ā€¦and by all means spend more time learning your detector, and document what you learnā€¦.Iā€™m saying this over and over again for ME as much as I am for you guys !!ā€¦Guilty as charged !!!

I am curious what is better in the build quality compared to the NOX?
I am guessing the shaft but would be interested in finding out what else is better.
The Equinox has crappy coil ears, do a search, hundreds have broken off. They are known for LEAKING like a submarine with a screen door. I hear a lot of complaints about the shaft wobble but canā€™t remember for sure. Thatā€™s a big deal on something that costs $1,000.00. I for one and rooting hard for the Legend SMF to be serious competition for Minelab. Theyā€™ve had exclusive domination over the wet salt beach and surf forever, and it made them not care about their customers that spent their hard earned dollars and were brand loyal forever. My second reason is their service on existing products suffers when you get past the warranty, and they stopped repairing or gouged us on older machines like the explorer. Itā€™s a load of crap when they say ā€œwe canā€™t get parts anymore, HOG WASH! They could at one time have dialed up the factory in Malaysia or wherever and had explorer boards cranked out by the thousands if necessary. Nokta/Makro is built like a tank, just what youā€™d expect for water hunting, not like the $1,600.00 Excalibur that as soon as you hit the water the knobs fall off. Then later your coil cable turns to spaghetti noodles. The the headphones fall apart, etc. etc. then when you need a new coil, even dealers cant buy a coil wholesale for the Excalibu, you have to pay retail through the service center. Forever, if we wanted a multi-frequency detector we had to take this nonsense. Thanks to Nokta/Makro- NO MORE! for wading at least. Sorry for the rant but Iā€™ve spent a fortune on Minelab detectors and loved how they worked but hated build quality and lack of ANY ERGONOMICS at all, or service on olde, high end, still working equipment.

My opinion ... for what it is worth ... is that there is nothing wrong comparing any detector with any other detector.
Who would expect a $600 detector to have all the features and work as well as a $1600 detector.
Plus there is always differences in ground conditions and beach conditions that effect operation.
Some people get to hung up on trying to prove which detector is the best.
Those of us that have been using various detector at various sites over the years know there is no "best detector".
They are tools ... Many never learn that simple fact and chase after the ultimate detector.

Field hunting for coins in the wild is so much different than waving a detector over a test garden.
The fact that yo know something is there and what it is will skew what you hear and react to.

The Equinox has crappy coil ears, do a search, hundreds have broken off. They are known for LEAKING like a submarine with a screen door. I hear a lot of complaints about the shaft wobble but canā€™t remember for sure. Thatā€™s a big deal on something that costs $1,000.00. I for one and rooting hard for the Legend SMF to be serious competition for Minelab. Theyā€™ve had exclusive domination over the wet salt beach and surf forever, and it made them not care about their customers that spent their hard earned dollars and were brand loyal forever. My second reason is their service on existing products suffers when you get past the warranty, and they stopped repairing or gouged us on older machines like the explorer. Itā€™s a load of crap when they say ā€œwe canā€™t get parts anymore, HOG WASH! They could at one time have dialed up the factory in Malaysia or wherever and had explorer boards cranked out by the thousands if necessary. Nokta/Makro is built like a tank, just what youā€™d expect for water hunting, not like the $1,600.00 Excalibur that as soon as you hit the water the knobs fall off. Then later your coil cable turns to spaghetti noodles. The the headphones fall apart, etc. etc. then when you need a new coil, even dealers cant buy a coil wholesale for the Excalibu, you have to pay retail through the service center. Forever, if we wanted a multi-frequency detector we had to take this nonsense. Thanks to Nokta/Makro- NO MORE! for wading at least. Sorry for the rant but Iā€™ve spent a fortune on Minelab detectors and loved how they worked but hated build quality and lack of ANY ERGONOMICS at all, or service on olde, high end, still working equipment.
Yeah the Minelabs all leak like a sub with screened windows and they all break the coil ears off. I've had my Equinox for almost 4 years take it completely submerged for hours at the lakes no leaks. I'm kind of rough on the coils using them to scrub the ground to get the max depth, no broken coil ears. I use the 15" coil all the time, in super trashy areas I can pick out a silver dime in the middle of 3 or 4 targets. I will not trade or sell my NOX because no other machine can compare with it. You know why? Because I have spent literally thousands of hours learning and using it. A lot of others take a machine out for a while and then buy the newest model. I hunt with mother other detectorists. Some have bought the Legend and got rid of their Nox's before really learning them. Some that kept both the Legend and the Nox have given up on the Legend and solely hunt with the Nox. You know why, because there finds have dropped or when we compare signals the Legend won't pick them up. before you compare your machines learn how to completely use them.

Could that be because the Legend is relatively new and the others havent had a chance to log ā€œalmost 4 yearsā€ ???
Compare apples to apples pleaseā€¦ā€¦

I had my Nox for over 3 years, should I have kept it. probably, do I miss it, No. I've had the Legend for 3 months, but have not been able to use it for the past month. but it has found targets (jewelry) that I missed with both the Nox and Deus, I will not be selling the deus anytime soon, and I may not have even 40 hours on the Legend, but I find it much more stable than the Nox. The Nox always sounded like a machine gun with all the mineralized soil here in AZ. As for using the Nox for prospecting, yes I found some nuggets, but once again it was really tiring listening to all the chatter, bot in the gold fields and parks.

Now the Legend, I only took it nugget shooting 1 time, but it was quiet as a mouse, I did not find any gold, but I was impressed as to how quiet it was compared to the Nox, in the parks it is a dream to use, once again quiet until it finds a target.

Thanks oldkoot , have been reading a lot about the legend, After jumping in right away on the nox I'm in no hurry. I'll keep my nox till next spring and see what plays out in machines. Hard to get fair opinions. You cold replace detector names with football teams in these threads, to much rah rah:sick2::poop:

sorry for the long rant

CoinRobber, you are probably not going to sway to many of us with your comments putting down the Legend and Deus2. Here, most of us like to form our own opinions and not rely on those of others. HH jim tn

Well I now have over 40 hrs run time on the Legend. I like this machine a lot but have concluded there are two spots that need addressed by the manufacturer, pinpoint and depth.
Iā€™m finding the pinpoint is not as exact as it should be. If the graph shows full bars and you dig you have to enlarge your plug to locate the target. It almost seems like the target is actually closer to where the coil wire attaches to the coil, I cant prove it yet but if seems more accurate that way to locate the target.
Depth. I know its designed around a one inch coin but with all the electronics on board you would think it could be more accurate on depth. There are five bars on the graph, make each one 2ā€ and all five is 10ā€ plus. I have pulled one IH penny at 9ā€ so its capable. I cant fault the penny not showing ferrous or depth, the VDI was staying consistent and thats all that really counts. So far the ferrometer has proven pretty accurate as long as the target is 5ā€ or less and the depth graph is pretty consistent for being 5ā€ or less with three bars.
Just my observations and comments.

There is suppose to be an important one coming soon with adjustable Iron bias, mineralization meter & several other solid enhancements I'm hoping in the next few weeks..

Well I now have over 40 hrs run time on the Legend. I like this machine a lot but have concluded there are two spots that need addressed by the manufacturer, pinpoint and depth.
Iā€™m finding the pinpoint is not as exact as it should be. If the graph shows full bars and you dig you have to enlarge your plug to locate the target. It almost seems like the target is actually closer to where the coil wire attaches to the coil, I cant prove it yet but if seems more accurate that way to locate the target.
Depth. I know its designed around a one inch coin but with all the electronics on board you would think it could be more accurate on depth. There are five bars on the graph, make each one 2ā€ and all five is 10ā€ plus. I have pulled one IH penny at 9ā€ so its capable. I cant fault the penny not showing ferrous or depth, the VDI was staying consistent and thats all that really counts. So far the ferrometer has proven pretty accurate as long as the target is 5ā€ or less and the depth graph is pretty consistent for being 5ā€ or less with three bars.
Just my observations and comments.

I don't think I have ever used the screen to determine the pinpoint, I was trained to do an X and listen to the audio and that still works. Targets are always dead center of my hole.

Depth is something I should look at but usually don't as I usually have a general idea of target depth in the area.