Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Salt Water report card!

midalake

TROLL
It started in July of 2018. Took my new Nox to Mexico and even though I did testing at home before leaving it was disappointing to find that my Black Widows would not work, nor my Sun Ray pro golds. I did do some detecting but the wave noise on my beach made it difficult to really get into the machine.
Fast forward to January, armed with the correct connector to use my black widows I starting learning the Nox. First impression was, chatty, difficult to PP, and issues with moving water and black sand. After the third time out I installed the update. WHAT A FAIL! I had a new machine alright but it was working way worse. I consulted a few people with the machine and was told that the update may not always take. I uninstalled and checked performance [seemed ok] Then put the up-date back on. What a difference! The machine seemed to perform better!

Off to the report card! Saltwater Beach, Beach 2, GB auto.

Dry Sand- [N/A] The dry sand is not worth my time where I hunt.

Wet sand grade: [A- ]: I found the machine to work the wet sand well [no water]. With light black sand I could work in 21-22 sensitivity. Very little false signals, worked recovery between 4-6, iron bias 2-3. Even though I did not make any great recoveries in this part of the beach by the end of the season I felt confident there was not much getting by me.

Wave Trough [moving water] grade: [ F] This is where I really like to hunt. To put it bluntly the Nox is a complete failure in moving salt water. It is like the moving salt water makes the machine blind to detect and see targets.
The beach is rough where I hunt. At any point water could be over waist deep, then 50’ or more of wet sand to the water. If I were to stay in the wave zone completely I would have to significantly de-tune the machine do to the moving water causing the machine to false. When the water would drain out and I would locate a target the next wave is right there. When the wave would come through, repeated sweeping where the target was produced no sound at all. When the wave pulled back, re-sweeping showed the target was present. This happened over and over for 100’s of targets. Another drawback: It was clear there was two different set-ups were needed. One for wet sand, another for moving water. If I had the machine set for moving water that meant every time the wave swept out I was WAY under matched for wet sand only. Mainly I found I had to run around 17-18 sensitivity and 5-6 on recovery.

Other issues comments
EMI grade[ F] I have over ½ mile of the beach where I need to back off the sensitivity by 1-2 regardless of other conditions or controls
Pinpoint Mode grade [F] The worst functioning I have ever used, Especially on a beach!

All metal mode grade [A] Or as I nick named it the “truth mode” Almost every jumpy target I had would lock in somewhere, once put in all metal mode.

Recovery of targets grade [D] Well part of this grade is due to the pin-point mode, but make no mistake there are other issues, Even though I had the target out of the hole, many time the detector was still sounding off. Also it seems to be easy to bury targets or make them undetectable after missing them in the scooping process.

Thanks for listening. Please do not tell me how it works on land, in fresh water, or gold mode [I don’t hunt land] This is my honest review. Sure I have a few more things to learn, but I doubt my grades would change much.

Over-all grade C+

Dave

Harsh....Very harsh. I look forward to seeing the replies.

1 question....Did you try beach one? I use it unless the coil is submerged all of the time.

goodmore said:
Harsh....Very harsh. I look forward to seeing the replies.

1 question....Did you try beach one? I use it unless the coil is submerged all of the time.

Due to the amount of wave wash on the beach I am always in and out of the water. There is light to moderate black sand on the beach, this also limits beach 1. When doing gold ring on a string testing, found that when running beach 2 I can get away with running 21 sensitivity. The best I could do on the wet sand was 18-19 in beach 1.without having the Nox get too chatty. It seemed there was a little bit more punch on depth with beach 2, but this was a limited one day test. Have you done testing with depth between Beach1-2? Are you getting better depth in beach 1 at a lower sensitivity?

Dave

I must admit after returning from a caribbean trip I will not be using my EQ800 in salt water . I think my Excal will continue to be my underwater machine but I will use the Nox for dry land.
Even thought he Nox is lighter the resistance underwater is considerably more due to the control panel.
Still happy with both machines, they just serve different purposes .

Ok, I'll admit I'm not a beach hunter being in the middle of the continent, but it sounds like you were overly concerned about how high you could run the sensitivity rather than adjusting it for the conditions. If running lower, many of your problems MAY have gone away with very little depth or target size lost.

Wow, dont know what you did wrong, or if your machine is faulty. I had ZERO problem at salt beach. No chattiness, it was quiet, it was responsive, I had no problems pinpointing an dI came out of heavily hunted public beaches with gold and silver.

I LOVED my EQX and it will be my first choice to pickup, and only carry my excal as a backup.

Jason in Enid said:
Wow, dont know what you did wrong, or if your machine is faulty. I had ZERO problem at salt beach. No chattiness, it was quiet, it was responsive, I had no problems pinpointing an dI came out of heavily hunted public beaches with gold and silver.

I LOVED my EQX and it will be my first choice to pickup, and only carry my excal as a backup.

I used mine on a S. California beach with black sand. I was very happy with the results and had my best day ever on a dry/wet sand beach. Also found old coins in my own front yard that were missed by all my other detectors over the years. I love this Nox 800 but I do prefer the excal under salt water.

midalake said:
It started in July of 2018. Took my new Nox to Mexico and even though I did testing at home before leaving it was disappointing to find that my Black Widows would not work, nor my Sun Ray pro golds. I did do some detecting but the wave noise on my beach made it difficult to really get into the machine.
Fast forward to January, armed with the correct connector to use my black widows I starting learning the Nox. First impression was, chatty, difficult to PP, and issues with moving water and black sand. After the third time out I installed the update. WHAT A FAIL! I had a new machine alright but it was working way worse. I consulted a few people with the machine and was told that the update may not always take. I uninstalled and checked performance [seemed ok] Then put the up-date back on. What a difference! The machine seemed to perform better!

Off to the report card! Saltwater Beach, Beach 2, GB auto.

Dry Sand- [N/A] The dry sand is not worth my time where I hunt.

Wet sand grade: [A- ]: I found the machine to work the wet sand well [no water]. With light black sand I could work in 21-22 sensitivity. Very little false signals, worked recovery between 4-6, iron bias 2-3. Even though I did not make any great recoveries in this part of the beach by the end of the season I felt confident there was not much getting by me.

Wave Trough [moving water] grade: [ F] This is where I really like to hunt. To put it bluntly the Nox is a complete failure in moving salt water. It is like the moving salt water makes the machine blind to detect and see targets.
The beach is rough where I hunt. At any point water could be over waist deep, then 50’ or more of wet sand to the water. If I were to stay in the wave zone completely I would have to significantly de-tune the machine do to the moving water causing the machine to false. When the water would drain out and I would locate a target the next wave is right there. When the wave would come through, repeated sweeping where the target was produced no sound at all. When the wave pulled back, re-sweeping showed the target was present. This happened over and over for 100’s of targets. Another drawback: It was clear there was two different set-ups were needed. One for wet sand, another for moving water. If I had the machine set for moving water that meant every time the wave swept out I was WAY under matched for wet sand only. Mainly I found I had to run around 17-18 sensitivity and 5-6 on recovery.

Other issues comments
EMI grade[ F] I have over ½ mile of the beach where I need to back off the sensitivity by 1-2 regardless of other conditions or controls
Pinpoint Mode grade [F] The worst functioning I have ever used, Especially on a beach!

All metal mode grade [A] Or as I nick named it the “truth mode” Almost every jumpy target I had would lock in somewhere, once put in all metal mode.

Recovery of targets grade [D] Well part of this grade is due to the pin-point mode, but make no mistake there are other issues, Even though I had the target out of the hole, many time the detector was still sounding off. Also it seems to be easy to bury targets or make them undetectable after missing them in the scooping process.

Thanks for listening. Please do not tell me how it works on land, in fresh water, or gold mode [I don’t hunt land] This is my honest review. Sure I have a few more things to learn, but I doubt my grades would change much.

Over-all grade C+

Dave

Dave, I and many of my friends use the Equinox on the salt beach, in the wash and in chest deep salt water with no problems. You should read the manual again I think. Do not use GB auto. Leave GB at 0. Run the machine in Beach 2 in the water. If I were you I would run in factory pre set for awhile. Turn off the threshold as it is not a true threshold except in gold mode 20 & 40 kHz. There are many videos out that can help you. Honestly if you did not even notice a quarter inch jack would not fit in a pin jack, I think you went ill prepared and for this I give you a F. Read the manual. Best of luck.

Carolina

Dave, I and many of my friends use the Equinox on the salt beach, in the wash and in chest deep salt water with no problems. You should read the manual again I think. Do not use GB auto. Leave GB at 0. Run the machine in Beach 2 in the water. If I were you I would run in factory pre set for awhile. Turn off the threshold as it is not a true threshold except in gold mode 20 & 40 kHz. There are many videos out that can help you. Honestly if you did not even notice a quarter inch jack would not fit in a pin jack, I think you went ill prepared and for this I give you a F. Read the manual. Best of luck.
Carolina[/quote]

I usually do not respond to people who do not ask me a question and give an insult. However, in your case there is a lack of reading comprehension and too many incorrect assumptions.

The first thing you need to know, NEVER, am I able to work chest deep where I am because the ocean would tumble me, knock me over, break my equipment 365 days a year. You hunt a Kidde pool compared to where I hunt. [you should be thankful]

1. I always hunted in beach 2 with contact of the water/wet sand.
2. I never ran a threshold....set at 0
3. I actually worked about 50% GB 0 and 50% GB auto [each day]. With little of no difference noted as it would pertain to the report card. The only real difference was a slight decrease in machine chattiness running auto GB.

4. It's not a 1/4 jack and pin jack. It's 1/4 jack and 1/8 jack. If you would of asked a question or followed my other postings you would have known the minelab conversion cord was in my possession, BUT FAILED to allow my Black Widow and Sun Ray phones to function plugged in directly. It would work with the wireless mod. however the module will not send signals to the machine when clipped on the back of a cap. [another F grade]

So the only difference in what you want me to do is with GB. My question is: What advantage did you find running GB at 0, compared to auto mode?

Dave

midalake said:
Carolina

I usually do not respond to people who do not ask me a question and give an insult. However, in your case there is a lack of reading comprehension and too many incorrect assumptions.

The first thing you need to know, NEVER, am I able to work chest deep where I am because the ocean would tumble me, knock me over, break my equipment 365 days a year. You hunt a Kidde pool compared to where I hunt. [you should be thankful]

3. I actually worked about 50% GB 0 and 50% GB auto [each day]. With little of no difference noted as it would pertain to the report card. The only real difference was a slight decrease in machine chattiness running auto GB.

4. It's not a 1/4 jack and pin jack. It's 1/4 jack and 1/8 jack. If you would of asked a question or followed my other postings you would have known the minelab conversion cord was in my possession, BUT FAILED to allow my Black Widow and Sun Ray phones to function plugged in directly. It would work with the wireless mod. however the module will not send signals to the machine when clipped on the back of a cap. [another F grade]

So the only difference in what you want me to do is with GB. My question is: What advantage did you find running GB at 0, compared to auto mode?

Dave[/quote]

The salinity change is driving auto GB crazy. Assuming the Atlantic Ocean is a kiddie pool, well that’s just foolish. Your comment at any point water can be over waist deep. That sounds like chest deep ? And yes it takes considerable knowledge to hunt 5’ surf. I wonder how loose your coil wire is on your shaft. Any movement there? A 1/8 jack is commonly referred to as a pin jack. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings but your assessment of the Equinox is not the norm. Again read the manual. It will tell you in your case GB set at 0. Don’t run the machine so hot. You will find that it can hit a 6 gram 14k ring at 8 to 10” running at 13 sensitivity. i am not saying run it at 13 I’m saying back it down till it calms down. I do have friends that run their machines at 13 sensitivity though and swear by it. Could you have a bad coil? Not likely if it works well in the damp sand. I think the coil wire ( I’m sure you will set me straight on that ) the auto GB and your running the machine to hot for your conditions are your problems. Here on the east coast we can run in beach 1 knee deep in the wash with no issues. Only once you drop off into the waist deep and deeper will you need beach 2. Try not to work where the waves are breaking, go past that a bit if possible if you feel the need to hunt deeper than the wash. Why not move the module around to the front, again read the manual? You can’t be working water waist deep or the detector would be under water and not transmit so move the module to your shoulder or neck. I will be waiting with baited breath for your reply.

Thomas

Mr. Carolina said:
midalake said:
Carolina

Dave

The salinity change is driving auto GB crazy. Assuming the Atlantic Ocean is a kiddie pool, well that’s just foolish. Your comment at any point water can be over waist deep. That sounds like chest deep ? And yes it takes considerable knowledge to hunt 5’ surf. I wonder how loose your coil wire is on your shaft. Any movement there? A 1/8 jack is commonly referred to as a pin jack. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings but your assessment of the Equinox is not the norm. Again read the manual. It will tell you in your case GB set at 0. Don’t run the machine so hot. You will find that it can hit a 6 gram 14k ring at 8 to 10” running at 13 sensitivity. i am not saying run it at 13 I’m saying back it down till it calms down. I do have friends that run their machines at 13 sensitivity though and swear by it. Could you have a bad coil? Not likely if it works well in the damp sand. I think the coil wire ( I’m sure you will set me straight on that ) the auto GB and your running the machine to hot for your conditions are your problems. Here on the east coast we can run in beach 1 knee deep in the wash with no issues. Only once you drop off into the waist deep and deeper will you need beach 2. Try not to work where the waves are breaking, go past that a bit if possible if you feel the need to hunt deeper than the wash. Why not move the module around to the front, again read the manual? You can’t be working water waist deep or the detector would be under water and not transmit so move the module to your shoulder or neck. I will be waiting with baited breath for your reply.

Thomas[/quote]

You hunt a kiddie pool. The surf is always 5ft plus where I hunt, and no one is able to go beyond the wave break 365 days a year, unless you are wearing scuba tanks..

I did testing on my 7+ gram ring on a depth marked string in water contact sand. I am calling complete BS that you can detect a 6 gram ring 8-10" deep at a 13 sensitivity at a salt beach. My ACTUAL depth testing in ACTUAL conditions at 17 sensitivity, beach 2, recovery 4, IB 2, showed anything over 8" was not going to be heard. At 21 sens, the depth increased to 10-11

My coil wire is tight to my shaft [electrical tape] in 4 different places.

I am working waist deep [at times] have a custom shaft, 6'4, and headphones direct. There may be creative ways to attach the Module to my shoulder or neck but with water splash and constant bending to clean the scoop I am not interested in making some special strap. It would of been nice if Minelab would of made it more clear the module needs absolute line of sight and close proximity.

You are still not grasping my main complaint. It is not noise! At 17-18, beach 2, I can run in moving salt water with little chirping except for the initial wave hit. [which is expected] However this is a disappointment where I can run 20 ft up the beach more, 21-22 with no water contact. [disappointment 1] When a wave does drain fully there I am siting with sensitivity at 17 not 21.

What is completely unacceptable is the detection of a target with no water present, then when the wave wash comes and the spot is re-checked NOTHING, not a peep until the water drains and then like magic the target re-appears. Their is a VERY real loss of detection ability by the machine. So I have ZERO confidence in trying to swing while water is either moving up or down the beach. I proved this with 100's of targets over and over again.

Dave

midalake said:
Mr. Carolina said:
midalake said:
Carolina

Dave

Thomas

You hunt a kiddie pool. The surf is always 5ft plus where I hunt, and no one is able to go beyond the wave break 365 days a year, unless you are wearing scuba tanks..

I did testing on my 7+ gram ring on a depth marked string in water contact sand. I am calling complete BS that you can detect a 6 gram ring 8-10" deep at a 13 sensitivity at a salt beach. My ACTUAL depth testing in ACTUAL conditions at 17 sensitivity, beach 2, recovery 4, IB 2, showed anything over 8" was not going to be heard. At 21 sens, the depth increased to 10-11

My coil wire is tight to my shaft [electrical tape] in 4 different places.

I am working waist deep [at times] have a custom shaft, 6'4, and headphones direct. There may be creative ways to attach the Module to my shoulder or neck but with water splash and constant bending to clean the scoop I am not interested in making some special strap. It would of been nice if Minelab would of made it more clear the module needs absolute line of sight and close proximity.

You are still not grasping my main complaint. It is not noise! At 17-18, beach 2, I can run in moving salt water with little chirping except for the initial wave hit. [which is expected] However this is a disappointment where I can run 20 ft up the beach more, 21-22 with no water contact. [disappointment 1] When a wave does drain fully there I am siting with sensitivity at 17 not 21.

What is completely unacceptable is the detection of a target with no water present, then when the wave wash comes and the spot is re-checked NOTHING, not a peep until the water drains and then like magic the target re-appears. Their is a VERY real loss of detection ability by the machine. So I have ZERO confidence in trying to swing while water is either moving up or down the beach. I proved this with 100's of targets over and over again.

Dave[/quote]

I will digilinty work in GB 0 more to see if there are any noticeable changes.

Dave

I may have misunderstood both arguments and/or positions, but I have a question for either or both. If running on the beach do you run 'Auto Tracking? I dont run auto track and have zero issues with the waves. On land I do use the auto track! Again, I may have misunderstood, but would be interested so please let me know if you are in the water and running 'auto tracking' and the results. Then if you get a chance try it with no 'auto tracking' and the results. Or, if I have missed something also let me know if you would.

I got the Nox early last year, maybe the first in the Houston area, and am almost totally happy with it. I would like to see a wider vdi number spread, like 0 to 80, but as it is the machine is great!

Tks to both of you!

stop using ground tracking unless you are in heavily mineralized prospecting situations. It wasnt intended for use in beaches. and the beaches of S. Texas arent even mineralized. You should be running them with GB off and set to 0. Your dirt hunts should be the same too.

jas415 said:
I may have misunderstood both arguments and/or positions, but I have a question for either or both. If running on the beach do you run 'Auto Tracking? I dont run auto track and have zero issues with the waves. On land I do use the auto track! Again, I may have misunderstood, but would be interested so please let me know if you are in the water and running 'auto tracking' and the results. Then if you get a chance try it with no 'auto tracking' and the results. Or, if I have missed something also let me know if you would.

I got the Nox early last year, maybe the first in the Houston area, and am almost totally happy with it. I would like to see a wider vdi number spread, like 0 to 80, but as it is the machine is great!
Tks to both of you!

Hi

As stated in my posts I worked about 50-50 each day between Auto and 0 GB. I have my report card on three different sites. The funny thing is I have people telling me I should be using one or the other, only :lol: . The only difference I saw was Tracking was less chatty for the exact same sensitivity number. I am going to do some more testing on those disappearing targets though.

Dave

As Jason says don’t run tracking. 0 GB and sensitivity where it is not to chatty. Salt water will reduce your depth but not to the point you are describing. I hunt in and out of the wash knee deep without any problems. I don’t care how tall you are, or what custom shaft you have, waist deep puts the control box under water so transmission to the module will stop. I believe the manual makes reference to the module being on the same side of your body as the control box. I’m sorry you think my comment is BS about sensitivity at 13. If you loose a signal because of salt water and your settings are as described, send your machine back to Minelab as it is defective.

Are you running a headset connected to the control panel? I use earbuds, so I keep the control panel out of the water. I shut off Auto tracking when in the water and run sense at about 19-22 and never seem to have any of the issue you are having. Have you tried to disconnect the coil from the head unit and use some silicon grease there? I have heard of some folks having a loose connection there and it causes 'issues' on the signal. Have you had the same issue with two different coils?

jas415 said:
Are you running a headset connected to the control panel? I use earbuds, so I keep the control panel out of the water. I shut off Auto tracking when in the water and run sense at about 19-22 and never seem to have any of the issue you are having. Have you tried to disconnect the coil from the head unit and use some silicon grease there? I have heard of some folks having a loose connection there and it causes 'issues' on the signal. Have you had the same issue with two different coils?

I am connected with the waterproof cable direct to the machine [with quality headphones]. There is no issue with the coil connection, or coil. My machine does not need repair or is faulting. I have about 45 years behind detectors. Mostly likely I have sent more detectors back for repair than most people have ever owned. The beach is a pretty noisy environment. Are you sure those earbuds allow you to hear everything?

Dave

midalake said:
jas415 said:

I am connected with the waterproof cable direct to the machine [with quality headphones]. There is no issue with the coil connection, or coil. My machine does not need repair or is faulting. I have about 45 years behind detectors. Mostly likely I have sent more detectors back for repair than most people have ever owned. The beach is a pretty noisy environment. Are you sure those earbuds allow you to hear everything?

Dave

It appears you asked for advice, yet when given you scoff at everyone’s suggestions. If your machine hits a target in damp sand yet disappears when the water rolls in and covers your coil, one of two things are the reason. One you need to send your machine in for repair or two, you are so old that you lack the ability to set the machine up properly. Maybe you should stick with something like the Excalibur with turn on and go knobs.