Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My thoughts on Detectors lately

Let's not forget the ever busy Moles.
Those pesky coins get in the way.
And they'll just push them up and outta their way
I can say for sure groundhogs do pull up targets lol. Found some nails and old lead that one retrieved pushing dirt out of a hole once a long time ago.
Joe and Jim use something in a price range they can afford or are just starting out in the hobby. Looks like fun and want to see if they like it. Some others are swinging the newest technology out regardless of cost.
Thats what the hobby is about. I can say this as long as its making you happy or doing what you want it to do, you've got the right detector. Detecting attracts all types, from people looking for a relaxing hobby, to people looking to darn near make a living off it with the stuff they find.

The soil is dynamic,not static.There are many factors that cause the soil to constantly shift,moving objects that are contained within it.Like you i have found objects on the surface that should be deep and deep objects you think would be shallow.Frost has s major influence on soil......as moisture in soil freezes it expands and causes quite substantial movement.Biological processes also cause movement......worms,microbes,decay etc all contribute to the constant movement of soil.Wind erosion can also play a major part removing a lot of top soil if it becomes very dry and dusty.
I see alot of soil erosion from flooding and water. Any time after it rains and floods, i head out to my creek and river spots. and hit the fields. On an additional note. I have always seemed to do better when the ground is wet, or has just rained. I think there is some research/people that have concluded that you do get better vdis-depth in wet ground, but i can;t remember where i saw that

I can say for sure groundhogs do pull up targets lol. Found some nails and old lead that one retrieved pushing dirt out of a hole once a long time ago.

Thats what the hobby is about. I can say this as long as its making you happy or doing what you want it to do, you've got the right detector. Detecting attracts all types, from people looking for a relaxing hobby, to people looking to darn near make a living off it with the stuff they find.

I see alot of soil erosion from flooding and water. Any time after it rains and floods, i head out to my creek and river spots. and hit the fields. On an additional note. I have always seemed to do better when the ground is wet, or has just rained. I think there is some research/people that have concluded that you do get better vdis-depth in wet ground, but i can;t remember where i saw that
Wet ground is the most conductive.
After a snow melt,heavy soaking rain.
Hit it hard. The ground is never better.

My daughter back on her 16th birthday party a few yrs ago.
A dozen girls in a dark family room.
Suddenly I noticed all was quiet.
No giggling and horsing.
I walk in and their All on their phones.
I ask Who are you all texting ?
The reply.
Each other. ???
They actually were having More fun communicating to each other on their phones.
Than talk to each other in the same room.
Yea
It's changing the way they think.
In a bad way.
No personal interactions.
Isolationism is the New Big Thing.
aint that he truth. I put piece on mining equipment up for sale on craigslist cheap,had it for 40 years and did not use it much, shortly the phone blew up with text messages, while in the process of answering, it also rang. Guess who was the lucky buyer. If they do not want interaction, I don't have the time, its a generation thing.

Eggzactly.
I still very much enjoy my oll Explorer XS and Sovereign GT. Except the weight.
Heck for special hunts I truly enjoy the old Brick Garret Master Hunter CX3 power + with the little 5" sniper coil on it. Slow but accurate.
Knowing the vast field of electronics technology.
I truly can not understand why technology hasn't come along in metal detecting equipment like other fields.
Why can't they come up with a machine that tells us at Least exactly what metal is in the ground ?
What are your thoughts on the British made detectors like Viking or Saxon?

It's called the advancement in technology.
Do you still use a flipphone?
I actually think all the time about throwing this piece of crap iPhone in the trash not dealing with all the drama that comes with modern technology and get another plain flip phone.
Just talk and text is fine with me, you must be a kid lol
Kids are loosing social interaction skills and lack building character.
You wonder why society is so divided, full of hate and mental health issues just look at your “ smart “ phone and go down the rabbit hole.
You don’t need the latest and greatest detector to have fun and don’t need the latest and greatest phone to talk. Was just talking to someone today that if we ever had a emp attack or the power grid went down most people couldn’t function mentally.

I do like some of the newer machines, mainly the ORX. I've had a couple of them over the years just because they are so lightweight compared to everything else. I don't condone any new or old detector, and have favorites from both ages, but the ergonomic improvements are nice. Something that feels comfortable and lets you hunt a little longer before being worn out is nice. I do agree that the hype these days is you have to have the latest greatest detector. It's how marketing has made the majority today. Just look at phones....they release the next thing for say $1000 and it has 5% more battery life, new looks, slightly better camera. 6 months later they release the next in the generation for $1200 with yet an additinal 5% battery life, 2mm bigger screen, more cameras on it. Me i don't see the hype on it. When the tech advances majorly i could get behind it, such as a new phone that now features 25% more battery life, screen size has increased by 2 inches, and has a camera that is significantly better. Some people love the newest best thing and others don't. The phones were an example but i feel like with the exception of adding multiple frequency detectors it has just been trickle fed to the majority when it comes to features on detectors for the last couple decades. There were some companies that released state of the art things and way beyond what others were doing, but the market for the majority just rebadged and remarketed, and finally in the last couple of years we are seeing the companies actually release some decent leaps and bounds in detector technology and making progress with it. I know some will read this and disagree with me, but please don't forget, that there are companies/detectors out there that do change the hobby for the better and improve the technology, that i would lay down my hard earned money for, but only when i felt like it would really make a change or difference in my particular hunting styles and ground. Have a good night
I have long lamented the fact that each new iPhone has new advanced features and software but as I live in a hilly - rural area many calls still get dropped as I’m driving and sometimes I have just one weak bar of reception IN MY HOUSE! Furthermore, the speaker is still just as weak and tinny as old cellphones. And worst of all, the phone call fidelity is no better than the 90’s flip phones. Another constant nuisance is the touch screens are so sensitive the dang phone constantly goes to something you don’t want or randomly calls someone in your contacts list all by itself. Why can’t some egg-head programmer come up with a quick and easy screen lock ? Finally, being able to contact or be contacted anytime is a great peace of mind, but it also means a lot of disruption being so easily reached.

when the simplex came out, i was actually suprised at what you get for $250. Its a hit out of the ballpark when you compare the price and features to other mid range machines. If I get someone serious about detecting that wants to join me, i usually hand them the simplex and say...i know its a little heavy, but it will do just fine, because i know it can hold its weight. Nokta changed the game for entry level detectors forever. I too am keeping my eye on the legend, watching to see what it turns out to be. May pick one up someday down the road.
Something i don't like about the new generation of metal detectors...sealed in batteries. Eventually those are gonna have to be replaced. Could have made them a little easier to get too
Alot of it has to to do with currency exchange they are doing fine