Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My thoughts on Detectors lately

Long term experience with ones detector of choice will out perform the latest tech in the long run, always has always will.

Last edited:
Long term experience with ones detector of choice will out perform the latest tech in the long run, always has always will.
I can sort of get behind this, but then again if it improves enough to vastly improve things it would probably be worth it. I know plenty of people loved and still love the deus, and now that its waterproof and multi-frequency, i would consider the deus 2 enough of an improvement to move on to if you weren't happy with your current detectors. same thing with the nokta simplex to the legend. Also just for me, im currently happy with my arsenal, it does want i need and want it to do, but improvements down the road are possible.
I call BS to that.
I guess ignorance is bliss
I thank god that we live in america, where everyone is entitled to there opinion, and people are not forced to think one way or another

Just to go off on another topic for a minute, lets pretend that there is a new machine coming out in the next year that is unlike anything anybody has ever used. It finds stuff that you wouldn't believe, quarters at 12 inches like they are 2 inches down with a 9 inch coil, gold rings with a bundle of nails through them, the vdi is spot on at any depth down to 12 inches, it hunts relics, it hunts gold, you can take it to the bottom of the mariana trench. Did you get everything??? No you did not....You can take the best metal detector ever made, and still miss stuff, someone tell me i'm wrong. Maybe you didn't overlap that one swing out of hundreds and missed that small button, you looked up for just a second and didn't hit a 3 inch patch while you were moving forward. Lets say you did manage to hit every square cm of ground just perfect in a grid and went over 34 times just to make sure. Guess what there are still targets out of your range further down. If the machine your using does all this and the next one they release lets you go 1/2 inch deeper, but now cost lets say $400 more than the last one you bought, is it really worth it? That is up to you my friends, as i'm just stating what i think. Now when that same company releases a machine that adds 2 or 3 inches more down, maybe another useful feature or two, i might be more inclined to spend that extra $400

In regards to the earlier post, i sure hope they don't release anything like that anytime soon. I like going to my spots and always being able to find at least something good, hate to see the day where it only takes a pass or two on the ground to remove everything. What about future generations of new detectorist

Yes, and the reason is the processors are faster making for target separation which = unmasking target that have gone undetected by slower old fliphone detectors.
This opens up old "detected out" sites to newer faster detectors.
Another words the older slower detectors see 2 targets as one because it's not fast enough to distinguish between the two whereas the new detectors are fast enough to see both targets
On top of that the adjustable iron bias settings is also a big help in unmasking
I agree with you somewhat, but to assume all your old sites have coins that are masked is reaching I think...Not my saying but a good one to fit this topic,,,,inexperienced detectorist buy new machines,,experienced detectorist find new places to hunt.

Y’all can do all of the comparisons,masking demonstrations and show how machine X is better than machine Y but what it all comes down to is simply”If it ain’t there you aren’t gonna find it”.

Y’all can do all of the comparisons,masking demonstrations and show how machine X is better than machine Y but what it all comes down to is simply”If it ain’t there you aren’t gonna find it”.
But it might be there and but not found because?
I agree with you somewhat, but to assume all your old sites have coins that are masked is reaching I think...Not my saying but a good one to fit this topic,,,,inexperienced detectorist buy new machines,,experienced detectorist find new places to hunt.
True but I have gone back to sites that have been detected out because the metal detecting club cleaned it out.
Went back years later and found some good finds

True but I have gone back to sites that have been detected out because the metal detecting club cleaned it out.
I have done the same.. sometimes I wonder if ground freeze and thaw lifts them up to the surface,or maybe they tilted and the freeze untilts them? Or it could just be a better machine like you said..no right or wrong answers, if you got the loot and want a new release I'd say go for it, ill be watching your reports as well as others..Good luck

It will always be that way, no matter how many people or machines hit it
I have done the same.. sometimes I wonder if ground freeze and thaw lifts them up to the surface, or maybe they tilted and the freeze untilts them
I too believe this occurs

I have found Roman coins and artifacts superficially, when in fact they have been buried for 2000 years and should be very deep. Why happens? I don't know, but it happens.
The soil is dynamic,not static.There are many factors that cause the soil to constantly shift,moving objects that are contained within it.Like you i have found objects on the surface that should be deep and deep objects you think would be shallow.Frost has s major influence on soil......as moisture in soil freezes it expands and causes quite substantial movement.Biological processes also cause movement......worms,microbes,decay etc all contribute to the constant movement of soil.Wind erosion can also play a major part removing a lot of top soil if it becomes very dry and dusty.

Last edited:
And it might not be there and not found because?

Look, everyone has opinions on detectors and why hunting spots are never totally hunted out. As Tom Danowski has said, "you don't know what you are missing if you don't know its there." Probably not exact quote, but you get the drift. But more to the point, Pete and Sam use certain detectors because they like them, make finds and have faith in them and simply enjoy the hunt. Joe and Jim use something in a price range they can afford or are just starting out in the hobby. Looks like fun and want to see if they like it. Some others are swinging the newest technology out regardless of cost. Maybe on a day in, day out bases of hunting, the newest tech. might eek out a goodie some other detector didn't, and then again, maybe not. I content all these hunters are right in why they swing what they do and someone shouldn't be condemning them or their detectors for sticking to their opinions. MHO anyway. HH jim tn