Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My thoughts on the Equinox 800.......

Bud-sc

I got my Equinox 800 on February 16. If your thinking I am going to bash the Nox then your going to be disappointed. If your going to think I am going to tell all good about the Equinox your wrong. It's all about the beach hunting only.
For the important information. Leave your cellphone home or leave it in the car. The Nox do not like cellphones. It doesn't like WiFi and most condos or hotels have strong WiFi to reach out to the beach. So that's why the Nox have a lot of chatter. With thousands of people coming to the beach they will have there electrical devices with them. Best way to stop all the chatter will be use your favorite headphones in the back of the Nox. Remember to get a headphone adapter.
Using to must sensitivity!!! Yes too much!!! It's like using your high beams in a very dense fog. The Nox is nothing like the CTX on sensitivity level. What I mean is on the CTX if you cut down the sensitivity you can tell it!! That's not the case for the Nox. The key here to set up the recovery speed and iron bias along with the sensitivity. Note on the iron bias anything below 4 you will pick up deep tent spikes and Bobby pins.
Out on the beach this a great machine to swing and very light! Matter in fact Anderson shafts will be making carbon fiber shafts for Nox. According to another forum I read from day by day. Now compared to the CTX ( boat anchor) to the Nox is like comparing a Samsung Galaxy S4 to a Samsung Galaxy S9!!! Folks it 2018!!! The CTX was made in 2012 now think about that for a minute. Think about the software in the Nox to the CTX. Can I tell the difference? Hell yes! Is the CTX upgradable?? Yes. Why has Minelab updated the software in the CTX is a question to ask them.
My first day on the beach with the Nox I was just learning the machine. If your coming from a CTX or Explorer going to be easy. It not a hard machine to learn. Only the person will make it hard if they do not want to learn. Even though I was learning the machine I still able to get a junk ring. On the second day got a 14k gold earring about 8 inches with clasp open!!! On the third day I found another gold earring about 8 inches with clasp open. Over time with more hours of use I began to understand it more. I have dug up nickels at a foot. Bottle caps now come on folks dig them!! Yes the Nox loves bottle caps!! I have more bad news all beer manufacturer company are going to cheaper metals for bottle caps. So better get use to digging them. Just like the pull tabs your going have to dig them if you want gold!!!
Now with 80 hours of time on the Nox it's a deep machine! People will have take there time to set it up the way they want it. Some people like hearing low tones. I do not!! I like my low numbers to be high. I also found out running in all metal helps you pick out good targets in iron. This machine is a hammer on gold period!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts on the Nox. :thumbup:

I haven't had the chance to hit a beach with mine yet, but I am beyond certain this machine was made to dig gold. I've never dig so many nickles..nickles everywhere. I got a feeling I'm going to dig a lot of gold with this machine.

Don't know about gold, but the Equinox sure likes aluminum pulltabs :) Glad you like the machine. I've actually found the Equinox better on EMI than most of my detectors. My cellphone (Verizon Samsung Note 5) doesn't bother it, at least not that I've noticed. I do the noise cancel and can usually crank the machine up to 22 or so without much chatter, even if there are powerlines nearby. Next time I run into trouble with the EMI, I'll trying turning off the phone.

ML didn't need to update the CTX software to keep selling the machine, so didn't bother. Fortunately, Nokta and others, by bringing out mid-priced modern, fast machines, forced ML to develop the Equinox for that market, rather than staying with the Safari forever. Without competition, we'd probably all still be swinging beep-and-dig machines. (No slight to the Tesoro's. I have the Cibola and Tejon, and in the right circumstances, they go head-to-head with much more expensive digital machines.)

Every straightforward report like yours helps me. I've only been able to charge, assemble and go through the settings since it arrived Tuesday due to wrapping up maintenance chores our FL home needed before we head north next month. Just over 3 miles to the beach (I know, I know) but come Monday I'm getting some hours throughout the week hitting quiet spots on the shore to learn it. I'm taking notes with me from the forum.
Very good post, thank you!

I hunted 3 hours with s8 in pocket and didn't notice anything but that's just my experience.in town also sensitivity on 23 and no problems also

Nice report. My S7 doesnt affect my phone either. Have you seen the coil tip crown-cap rejection tip yet?

Some people are not having problems with there Nox because of there cellphones. I have notice this my self!! I go to one beach and the Nox runs like butter!!! Then which beaches then it want shut up. I figured it out. Its the band the cellphone tower is operating on. I was at one beach very high end and notice the Nox would not shut up no matter what I did!!! Then I figured out what was going on. One of the home owners put up wifi boosters on his back deck. Easy fix here. Plugged in my Grey ghost in the back of the Nox the chatter went away. Still have not figured out whats bands make the Nox acted up yet. I am working on that now. Verizon 4g LTE bands are 2,4,13 and ATT are 2,4,5,12,17. Not all cellphone towers will operate on the same bands. In the last 5 years cellphone carriers have been putting towers on the big high rises hotels on our beaches!! So yeah I figured some people would not have problems with the Nox because of there cellphone. Its just certain bands cause issues.

The Nox gets a lot of chatter too from high sensitivity..... tiny tiny concentrations of aluminum, layers of thin black sand, and MOISTURE in the sand..... especially dry sand where people tend to run the sensitivity to 23 or higher moisture can increase the chatter. Ive raised the coil with the chatter...... smooth as butter. But thats my beaches and we dont have a lot of mineralization in our sand per sa. Ive also been told.... some of the background weak chatter we are hearing is from paring to bluetooth. Its the headphones and machine talking. But i expected a little more chatter from a gold sensitive machine..... especially on a salt water beach. Good report on the machine.

Today, I had the Nox at a park where it really did have a chatter problem. Repeated noise cancel would not suppress. I noticed the park had buried power lines for lamps, which was apparently the source. I could still use the machine, but barely.